1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glenn Rice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketFan85, Nov 4, 2002.

1. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

When is he going to be back? Will he be back in time for the Sonic game? We need him back bad, him and Hawkins make a good 1-2 punch at Small forward. Plus he will give us another scorer for Francis to pass too.

2. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

He may be ready for the Sonics game, but may go out again soon thereafter. According to Marc Stein his knee was hurt basically doing nothing, and that's a really bad sign. The guy is just old and is breaking down. He may be the worst spent $30mil ever, but I don't give a ratsass for Les's money... TMo-KT-JHawk should be adequate at 3.

3. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

What about Boki? He's a 3.....you then have Hawkins, Thomas, TMO, and Boki.

4. Kayman

Boki doesn't look like NBA material from what I have seen. In fact he doesn't look better than Langhi. He's shot is unreliable, his drives may have worked in Italy but go nowhere against NBA talent and his defense is non-existant. I haven't seen anything that can help an NBA team from Nachbar. Langhi at least had a nice stroke coming off a screen. A team that sets a lot of screens could use him.

5. timm

timm Member

Can any INSIDERS tell us how Rox feel about Boki?

6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but your description of Boki and Langhi is way off. When I saw Langhi play last year, he never seemed to know his correct spot on the court. I don't know how many times he nearly ran into another player trying to figure out where he should be. He also never hit his shots.

Boki is having the same problems hitting his shot, but at least he hasn't run into Francis the way Langhi used to. His handles are also way better than Langhi's. If Boki can improve his stroke, then I can see him being a good contributor (not a superstar).

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

So in limited action you can tell he isn't NBA material? Using that way of examining, Ming isn't NBA material, he hasn't looked much better. The only resemblance Langhi and Boki have is that they have light skin. Other then that they're not really that similar of a player. People need to wait more then 3 games before writing off a player.

8. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I fill the same way, Boki is solid not a superstar. But do we need another superstar? Boki and Griffin are going to be solid and Mobley is solid so that lives Francis and Yao(I hope and think he will) as are stars. I see Boki putting up numbers like Hidayet Turkoglu, I think he a a bright future in the NBA.

9. PCMILLS

PCMILLS Member

What I've noticed about Boki is that even though he seems to be rushing his shot a bit (probably nerves), he always appears to be able to get open. He drives very well for someone 6'10. He's missed a few of the finger rolls, but he's always right there. I didn't get a chance to see the game against the Raptors, but before that, it was looking like he was getting more comfortable with his jump shot. Give him a little more PT and I think he will be just fine.

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Kayman:- For someone from Seattle you are making very bold statements. Your comment about Nachbar, leads me to believe that you need to keep more in touch with whats going on here in Houston, thats of course if you are a Rockets Fan!

11. Kayman

Yetti,
    I plunked $159 for the League Pass, and I saw all three games so far. How do you know I am from Seattle? Plus, wasn't there an insider report from Westside that said guys were not thinking of Nachbar higher than of Langhi?...

12. Kayman

Quite contrary, as bad as Ming has looked, you can see that he has the tools to make it. First of all he is 7-5, very well coordinated and has shown some nifty moves. What has Nachbar shown to make you think he'll make it? I am really curious...

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

IMO Boki has been so eager to get on the floor that he has strained his hernia scars. I remember my double hernia surgery, and it took months to fully heal. During that time just walking fast was uncomfortable. I can only imagine what Nachbar is going through with unmitigated exertion.

Until fully healed, Nachbar's shot will be affected. Even so, I have liked what I have seen of him. However, it's waaaaayyy too early to say he will be a bust, he will be solid, he will be a star, or he will be a superstar. But it's the right time to say: Give him a chance to be Boki Nachbar and to be all Boki Nachbar can be.

14. cujo

cujo Member

How many games has Boki played? You don't give any one a chance do you?

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Kayman definitely would have cut Kwame Brown last year. The guy (Kwame) looked absolutely pathetic. Give Boki at LEAST a few months. M'kay?

16. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't know if you heard, but Boki didn't play at ALL in that game, so you didn't miss anything from him.

BTW, when I saw his in warmups he didn't look that bad shooting. I barely watched Langhi so I can't be fair between the two in warmups, but I think Boki can probably shoot at least as good. I think he's just in a bad spot with being injured and possibly nervous, as well as a hard job to obtain.

17. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

There is no resemblance between Boki and Langhi. Forget playing at an NBA level, after his first three games Langhi looked like he didn't know what the game of basketball was. And I like the Kwame Brown reference, B-Bob. How did Elton Brand look in his first three games?

18. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

Kayman, you are great at making a quick judge of talent. If you are not already, you need to be a scout for some NBA team. You are able to tell that Nachbar is not NBA material with only 24 minutes of playing time. That is good, or was part of the judging the way he sit on the bench during the Raptures game to go with his 24 minutes total in the first two games? Now tell us the real reason you do not like Nachbar, because it has nothing to do with his playing.

19. Kayman

Kwame was 19 years old last year. Nachbar is 22 and was supposed to contribute right away. He was supposed to be way ahead of his teammate Tskitishvilli, yet if you watched the Nuggets game, Tskitishvilli looked much better, even though he is 19yo.

20. Kayman

Well, yes, you can see a lot in 24 minutes. For example you can see that Yao is 7-5 in one second, you can see that Vince Carter has a 40 inch vertical, you can see that Tskitishvilli has uncanny agility for a 7-footer and a nice stoke to add, you can see that Francis' crossover is a killer, you can see that Eddie Griffin has great shotblocking instincts. What have you guys seen about Nachbar that makes you say "OK, he's still raw but I can see how this and this skills of him can be developed into a nice NBA asset." ? Plus it's not only what I have seen in the regular season, but his stats from the preseason didnot look great at all. So that's the real reason.

Now, I am going to qualify my statements a bit. Given the fact that he's guaranteed for 3 years the Rockets will give every effort to develop him into a role player in the rotation, so maybe he will get some quality minutes after all. What I find unfair is that some guys have to work their butts off only to get a crack to be such role players without the luxury of a guaranteed contract and coaches babysitting. Look at J-Hawk, he got Nachbar beat for the job, yet he had to endure years of minor leagues play before he got to this point and still makes half the money that Nachbar makes...
    Nachbar just caught the Euro wave/fad and shmoozed his way around CD and Rudy with his "thank you" notes and whatevers... Or maybe it's the eternal "white" hope" that got so many guys jobs/contracts that they don't deserve (Croshere, van Horn, etc)...