1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BBC] Doctor Who

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Carl Herrera, May 8, 2010.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Where are you guys watching the Matt Smith shows?

Netflix only has the old Doctor before season 5.

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Comcast on Demand had all of season 5 before the new season started. Don't know if the episodes are still available.

3. Bandwagoner

I might or might not have already downloaded them.

4. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I may or may not use ezrss.it or demonoid. Probably not.

5. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Billie Piper does not compare to Karen Gillan.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

BBC America, Saturdays 9 PM/8 C

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Loved Episode 4, which was written by Neil Gaiman. The TARDIS character was well-written and well-played.

8. Carl Herrera

Not sure if anyone is still watching, but that was one hell of an episode last night.

[​IMG]

9. Astro101

Astro101 Member

The first five minutes should've been its own ep.

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Overall this season has been good, though I still feel that there have been too many lose ends that have not really been even addressed much less answered concerning

the astronaut/Melody/Time-lord/River/little girl/, the Tardis exploding and how it created the cracks in the universe last season, the Silence falls being such a big deal for an entire season but dealt with in 2 episodes???, Amy Pond and her house and origin

Yes, Doctor Who does tend to solve major problems or "explain away" conundrums during the new series with Eccleston & Tennant with Dues Ex Machina solutions

I just feel that episodes such as the Black Spot and Doctors Wife, while being thoroughly entertaining, have taken away from the overall story arcs instead of adding anything to them. Though historically in the previous series, Doctor was more about individual plotlines per episode instead of season-long overarcing plotlines, so the show it is being somewhat consistent.

The acting has been very good. I've always felt that Matt Smith is as good as Tennant even if he is different. Personally, I felt that Tennant's portrayal of Doctor Who just felt too emotion-driven, and with not in line with what I felt a Time-Lord who wanted to find the best, cleverest solution would act. Basically, I felt he acted almost too human.

Karen Gillian and Arthur Darvill have worked very well as well as the married couple. River has worked well as was intended, though I feel that when all the questions around her are answered, I'm not sure I how it would work with her being a primary character in most episodes like they seem to be hinting at in the future.

It's going to be a long 3-4 months in this break before the final half of the season starts.

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

New trailer for the 2nd half of Season 6:

<object id="flashObj" width="406" height="352" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1074313655001&linkBaseURL=embed&playerID=22881351001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAA-dDLCk~,siZIgFdU3jNHWfij3aFtY3WlNw_bo9hU&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1074313655001&linkBaseURL=embed&playerID=22881351001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAA-dDLCk~,siZIgFdU3jNHWfij3aFtY3WlNw_bo9hU&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="406" height="352" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

August 27th can't come soon enough.

12. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Anyone watching the second half of this season?

I was enthralled with the first half, but haven't been that excited by the episodes since the summer, especially tonight's show. It's been very underwhelming, definitely lacking the build up that we saw in the first half, or even at the end of season 5.

I think I've figured out the timeline for this season though (Spoilers!):
    My understanding: the first two episodes of this season (getting rid of The Silence) are actually the last 2 episodes in the timeline. The first episode had the 1000 yr old Doctor at the beginning who died, then we followed the 900-odd yr Doctor through the end of the second episode. It has to be the 900+ yr Doctor who we see in the episodes with the Flesh since he's investigating the possibility of a plastic Amy travelling with him.

I think the 900 yr Doctor is followed up to tonight's episode (Closing Time), but tonight he was the 1000 yr Doctor because he says he only has a few more days to live. Where do they make the switch in Doctors? and surely if this is the 1000 yr old version, he must've had some other companions between being 900 and 1000 yrs old? ...
    ... Unless: the Doctor that shows up in the Let's Kill Hitler episode is the older one? Some info to back that up would be the fact that River Song and he meet in reversing timelines, so since we see the 'birth' of the River Song version of Melody Pond, and that is the first time she & the Doctor meet, he must be pretty old.

Just my thoughts... if anyone can clarify that would be awesome.

Presumably, the last episode would be about the Doctor actually locating baby Melody Pond, and dealing with Kovrarian but I look forward to being wrong!

I think it's an interesting way to present the show... start with the end

#32 srrm, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  13. Convictedstupid

Definitely still watching.

2nd half hasn't been as good with the exception of 'Lets kill Hitler'. That episode was great.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I had a fondness for Craig so tonight's was good... I also liked the one with the fake hotel... lots of messages in that storyline.

The one next week should be epic - I will be sad to see Rory and Amy's stint with the doctor end... though I will be interested to see how they write themselves out of the "doctor dead" corner they have backed themselves into at the beginning of the season.

15. Carl Herrera

I like the episode with Craig, too. The baby talk stuff was hilarious. "Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All."

The 2nd half of the season felt strange since several of the shows are more or less "standalones" rather than a part of a season-long story arc. Of course, these are not unusual in the series overall, just that this season has felt more "story arc-y" than the past so it's like "hmm... one of those?"

So, I guess Matt Smith is coming back as the Doctor but Rory and Amy are not? I've grown fond of the two, but it's probably time to move on.

16. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Weird that this thread popped up. Watched the first episode of the recent series and thought it was good but did not think I would go back. I'm now on midway through the second season. I've been so tired at work from lack of sleep but I can't stop. Also told my girl that I was going to sleep....that was 2 hours ago...:grin:

Wondering if anybody has seen Torchwood and is worth watching? Not sure whether to start watching after the seconded season or watch the rest of the Doctor Who series then watch Torchwood.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't like this episode so much.

The Cybermen aren't very interesting to me.

18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

Season finale airs tonight at 8:00 on BBC America. I just watched it, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I'll probably watch it again tonight. The 2nd half of this season was pretty disappointing. My favorite episode was probably "The Girl Who Waited".

19. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Don't click the spoiler. Watch the show first.

That was a simplistic finish... somewhat satisfying I suppose. Last season was way better though, and it's also not the best season ender that the show has seen. Meh, the next season will start soon enough.
    The show is still above average even if this episode didn't live up to my expectations

20. Bandwagoner

I guess it is time to watch these now.