1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is the media so harsh on Yao Ming, Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cnttope, Nov 1, 2002.

Tags:
  1. cnttope

cnttope Member

Would anyone please tell me why the media is so hard on our Rookie, and the whole team. They act like we can't play basketball and seem to love to talk bad about us. What's the deal?

2. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

When they stop talking about you, that's when you should be worried... ;)

3. shuttle

shuttle Member

I think Les should have been a little more discrete with his comments about Yao this summer. I know he was trying to get media attention on the Rockets, but he may have created a negative environment for Yao because of the extra media attention. Maybe next year would have been a better time for Les to say that "this is one of the greatest teams ever assembled.";)

4. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Everyone will be saying how great we are after we knock the crap out of Denver... :D

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Because he is a foreigner who was taken #1 overall who has been hyped up for a few years. Also because he resembles Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol in size many people say he is going to be a bust. Many of these people want him to fail so they can simply say "I told ya so."

6. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Remember they were hard on Kobe his first few games and actually most of his first year too. Kobe scored a total of zero points his first game as well. It is not just a Yao thing.

Lakers traded Vlade for Kobe and there was all kinds of pressure on the Laker and Kobe to show the world they were right, but until season 2 did we even see flashes of who Kobe would be. I see the same thing for Yao. Look at Jermaine O'Neal and Kwame Brown. EVERYONE called them busts. But Kwame is looking alot better this year and after Portland gave up on Jermaine, he has become an true star in the league.

What I am saying, when rookies don't immediately produce, the media and fans jump all over the team and that player. But looking back at the beginnings for most stars, they all started slow.

7. parker2000

parker2000 Member

Because people loves to sterotype; and Yao Ming breaks the sterotype of short Asian people that are gifted in math and science, not basketball. Think about it, it's pretty improbable for anyone that is 7'6" to posses the agility and skills that Yao possess, let alone someone from an ethnic group that have been pigeoholed and classified as nerdy. They would love to see him fail so that they can lash onto their narrow thinking.

8. ckrdkjr

ckrdkjr Member

its not just the media look at this bbs

9. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

i think that everyone will say how GREAT we are when we go to the playoffs:D

10. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Didn't Les Alexander say this was the most talented team of all time or something like that?

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think its talented but he shouldnt say stuff like that. Even though hes really just showing his enthusiasm.