1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Apr 17, 2011.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Is it possible for my hatred of Jamie and Cersie to get any worse? The shows just keep getting better and better but, I keep finding my self wanting to refer to Ned as Boromir!

The only thing that is just killing me is Ned continually letting his honer get in the way of doing what needs to be done. I like Ned but he is driving my crazy!

I have grown to really like Robert. "I am king and I get what I want!" I love it when he preaches to Ned all the while knowing that Ned is going to do what he thinks is right regardless of what Robert comands.

I watched the early premier of the next episode so I will not spoil anything but this series really does get better with each episode!

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Random thoughts:

1. I don't remember the Sansa/Septa exchange before Joffrey arrived last episode being in the book. I think they are making the TV Sansa more annoying than the book Sansa.

In fact, TV Sansa might be even more annoying than Viserys and Joffrey at this point.

2. The Ned/Robert dynamic reminds me of Les Alexander and Rick Adelman: It's obvious these two have "creative tension": Despite being a ****** drunkard, Robert is very practical. Ned, on the other hand, is inflexible with his old school honor. So it seems Robert would have been better off hiring a moneyballer like Littlefinger in the first place.

3. The character Ros (the prostitute at Winterfell) is a nice addition. I don't think she's in the books.

4. Jory is well-played. Too bad he's dead. The scene at the brothel in episode 5 with Jory staring at the topless working girl until Ned shouted to get his attention is classic, especially with it happening right before Jory gets knifed by Jamie.

Edit:

5. If you have molten gold poured onto your head, do you die instantly or do you just get badly burned and take hours, maybe days, to die in screaming agony?

6. Baratheons are supposed to have black hair. How come neither Robert nor Renly has black hair? Robert, I know, is older and graying... but what's Renly's excuse?

#462 Carl Herrera, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The annoyingness is magnified by the terrible actress playing Sansa. I always have an inch to just skip any scenes with her.

4. TheresTheDagger

Man I love clutchfans...LOL!

So then....

Yao would be Maester Pycelle?
    Kyle Lowry is John Snow?
    Dirk Nowitzki is Drago?

Continue....

5. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Not possible for me. In the first book, I think Martin made Sansa almost entirely irredeemable. I've found a lot of people with your view (that Sansa is worse in the show) but I guess I just had a different interpretation of the books. I think the actress playing her has done a good job of capturing the essence of Sansa from Game of Thrones.

1 person likes this.
  6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

He's been raking in dough as his books have all been best sellers for years and having HBO adapt his series will be an enormous as well. That said I only hope this new success wont result in the extended period between books we saw from book 3 to 4 to finally 5.

Regarding Sansa, while i didn't like her in the books, it wasn't outright hate. I felt her character was somewhat redeemable due to her age. Yes she was terribly stupid, naive, idiotic and disloyal, but she was also only 11 or 12 in the book. The tv Sansa is 14, still young but her being a teenager as oppose to just a teenie bopper makes her more annoying to me. Regardless I still hate her mom (though less than book version cat) joffrey and littlefinger more.

7. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I think Sansa in the books is mainly naive. She is only 11 in the books after all, and thinks she is a Disney princess only to find out she is stuck in a Conan film. She does some really frustrating and stupid things, but she never is blatantly rude like she was to the septa in the show, she is always thinking about how a lady never forgets her courtesies. I don't think the actress has been bad, just questionable writing on some of the scenes. If a character is written to be annoying and the actress comes across as annoying doesn't that mean she did what was asked of her?

1 person likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't know about book Sansa, but TV Sansa isn't that bad. Sansa is annoying but I feel she still has some redeeming qualities. Her naivety is kind of endearing. I just think she has this idyllic view of Kings Landing and she is trying to fit everyone into this dream world. You can tell she is conflicted when it comes to her love/loyalty to her family and what she should do when it comes to being a princess so she just tries to remain neutral.

Joffrey and Viserys don't have any redeeming qualities.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think your take and that of morpheus, while differing somewhat, are pretty much on the money. The HBO Sansa has been made to be "older" than the book, and is perhaps b****ier than she was there, but they capture what I think is the essence of her character. That she just isn't that intelligent, being perhaps the least intelligent of Ned's children, and that she is incredibly naive, even after having the "truth" about certain people thrown in her face.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

in other words, a typical 14 year old girl. :grin:

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

My take on Sansa: (I'm serious, DO NOT click if you haven't read ALL the books)

Sansa was a huge entitled b**** in the first book and yes, she pretty much got Ned killed when she ran to Cersei and told her that Ned was sending her back to Winterfell (something they left out of the show so far). But after Ned's death, she becomes more sympathetic with Joff having her beaten and mistreated all the time. And her stuff with The Hound is pivotal (Which is why I hate them taking it out of the series thus far). Do not misunderstand me, she still has not redeemed herself in my eyes. But I will still be a little upset if she dies in the future of the series. Unlike at the end of Book 1 when I would have cheered if she died. Just my two cents.

12. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I think that the "naive" part we can all agree on. However, I also think she's more intelligent than she lets on. Girls aren't supposed to be "smart" or act "smart" when they are supposed to be princesses.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Cut scene from the book that happened during episode 6 regarding Sansa:
    I wish they would have left in where Ser Loras asks Ned to let him go hunt down the Mountain. Ned refuses, saying Loras wants vengeance and not justice. Varys comments that he should have let Loras go, if you are going to make enemies of the Lannisters it would have been helpful to befriend the Tyrells. Afterwords Sansa tells Septa Mordaine that father should have sent Ser Loras. Littlefinger over hears and agrees, but wants to know why Sansa thinks so. Sansa replies because Ser Loras is the brave, handsome hero and he will kill the evil monster just like the songs. Littlefinger replies that is not the reason I would have given. He tells Sansa she may find out to her detriment someday that life is not like the songs. That gives a bit more insight into Sansa's fairy tale mindset.

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Guessed what your totally wrong. Sansa's have nothing to do with Ned's death. Ned threatened Cersei with his finding that Joffrey is not from Robert and the one that had Ned executed was Joffrey when he was crowned King. Cersei and the others pleaded with him not to have Ned executed but Joffrey would not back down. "But after Ned's death, she becomes more sympathetic with Joff having her beaten and mistreated all the time" What??? Sympathetic or unsympathetic or trying to save her skin or finally playing along. Not a fan of her also but at least I understood her being young and naive at the beginning.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree that Sansa had no responsibility in Ned's death. Yes Joff went against wishes and ultimately it was his doing. You are also correct about Ned talking to Cersei about Joff's true birth. But at that time Ned had things covered and could have still moved quickly and surprised Cersei with the timing. However Sansa blew that as a possibility. Littlefinger's betrayal is more criticial and important but Sansa shouldn't be free of blame.

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Agree to disagree, I guess. I can see it from both sides, truly. There are just many characters I hate WAY more in the series than Sansa.

For example:
    Walder Frey

17. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I totally disagreed with Sansa's part. Even if Sansa didn't say anything, they would still know and curious about her leaving to Winterfell without letting anyone know about it. Eddard already sign his death when he agreed to be Robert's Hand and for sticking his head where it doesn't belong. He was warned about the same fate of Jon Arryn. Ned was partially to blame for what have became of Sansa. Instead of playing it smart and getting his daughters to safety he was wreckless with his finding and did not play it cool. What did he expect Sansa to say or act if she didn't know what was really going on? At least Arya had a bit of a clue because her upbringing didn't deluded with the flowery thing.

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I don't hate her. I just find her naive. I find it makes her character a bit unique and give the character a chance to grow. The only thing I don't like about her is that her POV or character is just boring.

Jon, Arya and Tyrion are my favorites. The one that I hated was Little Finger in the first book.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sansa in the novels is naive, but, as far as I can remember, never mean spirited/b****y like she was toward Septa Mordane in the last episode. The only one I recall her really fight with is her sister Arya.

On another note:

It seems the majority of people I hear from dislike Catelyn Stark. I personally don't quite get why.

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

re: Sansa's actions in the book ~ episode 7 timeline til the end of season 1
    I don't think Sansa is responsible for Ned's fate, but she is responsible for getting stuck with Joffrey as a prisoner and for both her and Arya not getting back to Winterfell safely. Ned would have handled his "confession" differently if all of his family was safe when he was asked to make it.

As for Catelyn, I think some people hate her for how she treated Jon, some for her rash decision to capture Tyrion with no more "proof" than Littlefinger's word that set the events in King's Landing in motion, and later for
    setting Jaime free.

Personally she was never one of my favorites, but I never hated her.