1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Western Conference Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs Oklahoma City Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, May 15, 2011.

?

Who advances to face the EC Champ?

1. Dallas in 4

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Dallas in 5

35 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Dallas in 6

67 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Dallas in 7

16 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. OKC in 4

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. OKC in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. OKC in 6

44 vote(s)
    23.2%
  8. OKC in 7

21 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Wow...I seriously can't believe people can defend Dirk's performance. 24 FTs...most of which were off of situations in which he caught the ball, posted up, and turned. The act of him turning was pretty much automatically a foul on the defender, contact be damned...how the hell do you give props to that?

2. dback816

dback816 Member

And despite all that, the OKC still had more FTA....

People just can't stomach it when a white player plays well, like how Nash got robbed of his 3rd MVP

3. Zackery

Zackery Member

Agreed.
    Why do you have to bring race into this? Personally, when I watch basketball I seriously don't even see the players as black or white.

4. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Nothing to do with a him being white...he just got a butt load of calls he didn't deserve. OKC started to get more calls towards the end of the game...but anyone could look at the calls given to Dirk and see that most were definitely BS.

The disparity in calls lies in the actual fouls given, not purely on the numbers.

5. Hball

Hball Member

Wow...Dirk has evolved into the most unguardable player in the league now, you can no longer put wing players on him because he now utilizes his size advantage in the post.

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

out of the 24 free throws Dirk had, 4 were intentional fouls, 1from a technical, 1 from an "and 1" leaving us with 18 free throws or 9 possessions in which he was fouled. Of those 9 IMO the only clearly misplaced call was the foul against thabo, bodying up Dirk.

The 6 calls against Perkins, Thabo, Ibaka and Collison were clearly the result of bodying, pushing, two hands and reaching. None of which were phantom offenses. The two calls against Durant, one of which led to free throws were clearly fouls, were clearly fouls. Durant was not only reaching but wrapping his entire arm around dirks waist in doing so, while his other hand held him. The last shooting foul called against Harden was never replayed, but I'm assuming he hit Dirk on the elbow as Dirk shot the turnaround jumper as the result was an airball that missed the rim by atleast a foot.

Was the game officiated tightly? Clearly Yes. Was Dirk (as well as Durant & Westbrook) the beneficiary of it? Clearly Yes. Were the 9 calls that resulted in Dirk getting 18 free throws attempts the result of bogus calls, phantom fouls or clear mistakes? With the exception of the one call against Thabo, the answer IMO is emphatically NO.

2 people like this.
  7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Easy tiger. I was referring to their red hot shooting.

8. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Of course, mate. and i know u are implying Yao..At this point, i really donot know, man, Were it not for injuries, Yao would have been the greatest.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Which year was that? The normal perspective is that Nash didn't deserve 2 MVPs, not that he deserved another one.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, you are right, making 12 of 15 shots and not missing a single free throw, scoring 48 points and getting 4 blocks sucks. How can people defend such a terrible performance!

11. clippy

clippy Member

Way too many free throws in this game. I can't stand Joey Crawford. He always has to make the game about himself.

When Dirk is hitting that one-footed fadaway, he's unguardable.

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He really does want to control the pace of the game, it's like his credo. I think JVG said 13 ft's per team in the 3rd quarter. BARF

13. Lumix

Lumix Member

If you have watched the games of OKC, you would know that was because OKC players drive more often to the paint and they deserve the FTA.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Well stated.
    Unbelievable comments on this board, the dumb hate against clubs that beat us in the playoffs is just pathetic.

16. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Since when was bodying someone up a foul? I've always thought bodying someone up pretty solid D, and when they showed the replays (it's weird how they skipped many of the "Dirk getting fouled" replays, but I digress) there is seriously not much contact at all, especially not enough to warrant a foul IMO.

Not saying he didn't "get the job done," he just didn't deserve the majority of his free throws. Not sure how that can be defended.

I agree, Crawford is the worst...and I also agree that Dirk'd fade away is pretty much money.

Exactly. The game I watched featured KD and Westbrook driving into the paint and getting calls...KD was very active getting into the paint...a far cry from ticky tack fouls Dirk was given.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

With some of the calls that Durant has gotten this season I don't want to hear any OKC fans whining about the calls Dirk was getting.

Memphis fans probably wondering where was this officiating in Game 7.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Thunder lost the first game to the Grizzlies at home, they still have a chance against the Mavs, just don't blow the next game.

But I have to say, I feel better about the Mavs in the Finals than the Thunder. I think the Mavs have a better chance at defeating the Heat. But if Bulls make it... they're winning it all no matter who they play in the Finals.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: How many Dunks did Dirk and Durant have?

Rocket River

20. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Dirk had one