1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Lottery (UPDATE : Rockets get 14th pick)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, May 12, 2011.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I will make a grand prediction. Yao will be injured again, next year. You can even add it to your sig. I will look foolish, if he stays healthy. ;)

2. RocketInfoMan

RocketInfoMan Member

Can we still swap our #23 pick fot the Knicks #17 or is that option gone?

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

no, it doesnt work like that

4. TheGoldenGreek

Why not Jordan Hamilton at 14? I think he'll be there and he can really score the ball...I know we need defense but I think he has star potential

5. thekad

thekad Member

One is a D-Leaguer. One is a starting PG.

6. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I don't care about this draft as I do next years.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

In case anybody missed it. Quality not so good.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mJSnuK30gT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Remember the 14th pick from last season?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KhfP-6FYb2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I4zBTmHzy8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't believe how quick some of you guys are to throw his name in a trade for a pick in a so-called weaker draft. You all should trust that your GM can make this 14th pick like he did last year. If Patterson were in this draft, he would easily be a top 5 pick. If we are to trade anyone it should be T-Will, Hill or maybe Bud, seeing as they could easily be replaced.

9. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I'd be cool with it.

10. throwedyung14

throwedyung14 Contributing Member

Irving and Williams would be the only two players trading up for (trading up with good assets i mean... trade trash all you want) and both will be way too expensive and not worth it. Anyone who wants to trade Kevin Martin + more for anyone other than those two players.... should never be a GM.

And i hesitate on Williams. I see him as a more athletic Jeff Green. Borderline All-Star in his prime.. so really not any better than Martin.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If this is true, there is still impetus to make this sort of move:
    1. It moves our window backwards as Derrick is like 8 years younger than Kev.
    2. It could conceivably make us more salary cap flexible going forward.

I really like Kevin Martin. I feel like outside of Kobe and Wade, he's the best SG in the NBA. Maybe you can throw in a couple other names that are just as good but outside of Kobe and Wade, there is no one that is much better than Kevin. So, it would be a risk trading him for Derrick. You just don't know how Derrick is going to perform at this level. And it is most likely a lateral move. If Derrick does become our 1A option along with Scola and outperforms his rookie year, we probably aren't much better next season than we were this season with Kevin, unless something else substantial is done with our roster.

At the same time, Courtney Lee is waiting in the wings. He's our Dwight Howard magnet. And I've been watching footage of this kid, Marshon Brooks. I know Lee could start and be very effective for us. I've liked him ever since I saw him at Western Kentucky. And if we could come up with a player like Marshon Brooks at the end of the first round to play a Jamal Crawford type role for us off the bench, then perhaps it might make some sense. And I have felt, like others, for some time that the drop-off between Martin and Lee really isn't that great when you factor in defense and turnovers.

There is impetus for the Rockets to move Martin for Williams IF the Rockets feel that Williams will develop into a primary scorer with similar efficiency to Kevin. And there is a track record that indicates Williams could very well do that.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Not sure what quality we'll get at #14...will we move up? probably not...I will say that good for the Cavs to get #1...

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

No he doesn't. He's only rated that high because he plays for Texas.

He's basically James Anderson (OSU) light

14. cdain3

cdain3 Member

r****d ? :confused:

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I'm not saying that Hamilton will ever be a star, I think you're selling him a bit short. As I recall, Jordan was a highly touted prospect coming out of high school. After a lackluster freshman campaign, he really put it together last season and showed a great deal of improvement. He's also less of a "finished product" than Anderson.

While he's not my first choice for the Rockets at #14, I certainly wouldn't be upset if Houston selected him with that pick.

16. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I'm just spit balling here but here it goes. So if its true that the Wolves want veterans, we give them Bud, Hill and the 23rd pick for the 2nd pick and draft Williams and pray that Hamilton slips to us at 14. That would be a sick draft right there. I think the Wolves would like Bud since that don't have any proven shooters on their roster. He might not me a vet but a up and comer is better imo.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is not really a good dribbler, is not all that great laterally, and to me just looks like a very good college player who might be a good bench player in the pros....

I just don't see what everyone else likes about him...other than his scoring as the main guy off the screen etc.

DD

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He's a JAP. No outstanding skill. A volume shooter going into an ever increasingly efficient NBA game. No other discernable skill. Just Another Player.

These are the types of players that teams waste money on. You can get the same or even more efficient production out of a 2nd rounder for what Hamilton is going to provide an NBA team. And they're gonna have to eat up a roster spot and several million dollars on him. Just look at Chase. Minimum salary guy. Hamilton will be lucky to give an NBA team close to what we've got out of Chase the last several years.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The newest Rocket addition: Tristan Thompson.

Rockets wouldn't dare pass up the chance at a shot blocking center.

20. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

Right you are. There are too many so-called "fans" that are quick to play the blame game and to lose faith in some of the Rockets Players despite the clear fact that they have been playing phenomenally. Here's a thread that was posted where that is purely wrong IMO

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=204628