1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nnamdi a perfect fit in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rmoreno, May 17, 2011.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Doesn't he understand how close we are? Yes, I know we've gone from 6-10 to 6-10 in 5 short years, but all the other owners told McNair after the Ravens game that we are SO CLOSE!!

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The key is to track down the actual source, which these fantasy sites with nuggets tend not to do. Here's the actual source of that quote.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice...ince-young-if-they-go-sign-nnamdi-asomughaif/

It's a throwaway line in a typical Justice blog, in which he panders for clicks and is (at least partly) meant to be funny. I'd bet anything that Richard's "word" is nothing more than his summary of speculation from a few marquee NFL analysts and ESPN types, who drool over the NFC East teams. Why? If Richard actually had a reputable source telling him Asomugha had no interest in the Texans, it's not a throwaway item in a random blog piece. It's the peg to a real story, and he knows it.

I'm not saying I think the Texans get Asomugha, because I don't see McNair paying what it takes. After all these years, I'll have to see it to believe it. But I don't think, when you look at the actual context of the statement, that Justice has credible information that Asomugha wants no part of Houston.

3. msn

msn Member

Nnamdi just doesn't want to battlefight. He can't handle the Carr work ethic.

4. blackistan

blackistan Member

This tells it all "Kareem Jackson, the Texans' first-round pick last season, had 50 passes completed against him. Asomugha has had only 52 passes completed against him in the past three seasons." WOW

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm officially torn. It would certainly be a lot of fun and he'd make the defense better, obviously - but have you guys seen some of the numbers that are being thrown around? I've seen it as high as $18M/year. $18 MILLION! For a team that needs more than just a CB... that concerns me.

Honest question: If we assume Asomugha is a 10, would you prefer they spend $18M (for argument’s sake) on him alone (because I don’t think he’ll leave a lot of money on the table for other top-flight, or really even mediocre FAs) or spread it around to 2-3 let’s say 5-7 level players (a CB, S, etc.)?

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go big or go home, Mr. McNair.
    Step 1: Pony up for Nnamdi and Eric Weddle.
    Step 2: Get Manning on his arse and dominate your division
    Step 3: Print playoff tickets...

Oversimplifying it, obviously, but if the Phillips hiring is any indication, it's time for bold moves. The Texans' brain trust (Smithiak) has to know that the time is now to put up or get fired.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Considering the nature of free agency, i'd rather them pony up and go for the homerun. Nnamdi isn't Haynesworth -- he's worth the dough.

Otherwise, we'll end up either striking out (Anthony Weaver), or getting productive but still overpaid players (Greenwood, Antonio Smith).

I know, I know...it's all going to be different with Wade. But that doesn't change the fact that free agency inflates player value. At this point, I think it's appropriate to swing for the fences.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I would honestly spend the $18 million on Asomugha, if those were the two options. The Texans track record with mid-level free agents isn't that great, nor is it for much of the league. I'd feel more comfortable allocating $18 million on one truly elite guy and attempting to scout/develop some mid-round draft picks to fill those roles than spreading it on 2-3 average to slightly above average players.

The Texans free agent history is littered with Morlon Greenwood and Anthony Weaver types - the 5-7 level players that were solid, but didn't really make a big difference and were eventually phased out by cheaper, league-average production from within. I'd rather go after the proven guy, regardless of cost, and hope you can develop a couple of cheaper options in-house for those other spots.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd take Asomugha, if Williams bombs in the 3-4 you can let him walk and still have your game-changing defensive stud. Also, a player of his caliber will make the other guys better.

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Yeah, we should never try and get good players. They'll all suck since it's the Texans' bad luck. We should just accept our fate as a bad team and never try to improve.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Except that bigger weakness will be their #2 WR is better than our #2 CB. Which will always be the case if its Kareem on that side, but for the most part the production and risk of a breakout td from a #2 WR will be substantially less.

I remember Nnamdi complaining about this last season, and how he wanted to be moved around more, and wanted to mix it up outside of man assignments. But using in him in any other capacity would be sacrificing his greatest contributions to the D. Stunting him for blitzes would tempt people to throw at his side more, but having him in run support would be a waste.

12. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Look at how Justice titled his article..."I’ll forgive the Texans for not drafting Vince Young if they go sign Nnamdi AsomughaIf". That guy is a joke, he STILL thinks the Texans should have drafted VY?

13. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

Not going to happen.....Houston teams never ever end up with top notch free agents even if they persue them...

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Nnamdi just came from a 15M salary, and it was far and away the highest for CBs not to mention close to tops for all players last season. The next highest was Champ at 13M, who resigned for 11.75M/year as we know. What's the reasoning for it go as high as 18? The ridiculous QB salaries?

15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Go big or go home. Of course it's the good ol' conservative Texans so we know what the outcome is going to be.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If I had a dollar for everytime I felt slightly ashamed by people like you, who denounce me for something Ive said....I would need to apply for federal aid son!!...But Im sure you would have plenty of money to spare under those circumstances mane

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Except you wouldn't spend your money on Nnamdi.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

you got it...mute point though since he aint comin no way....

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Richard Justice knows what Nnamdi Asomugha is thinking like I know what the f***ing lotto numbers are tomorrow.

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

lemme grab a pen.