1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LOL greatest coach ever Jackson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by srrono, May 10, 2011.

1. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I'm also a rockets fan... but many fans just done have sense...

11 rings is not luck. maybe if he only had like 4-5 you could say that...

but 11 rings... good lord. get off fairy tale island

2. srrono

srrono Member

ok loaded may be the wrong word but a young Carmelo and Amar'e and the posible addition of Chris Paul What would you describe that team as "not loaded"?

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Bulls went from a 57 win team to a 55 win team the year after Jordan left and the Bulls got absolutely nothing for him. Pippen also missed 10 games that year and the Bulls went 4-6 during that stretch. They also took the Knicks to 7 games before being eliminated. The same Knicks team that it took us 7 games to beat in the finals that year. How can that possibly be mediocre?

4. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

yah stay hot Merla08 lol

5. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

The 11 rings clearly proves that Jackson is an elite coach, and easily arguably the greatest of all time.
    What else makes a coach great?
    945 wins and 0 rings a la Rick Adelman
    1200 something wins and 0 rings like Jerry Sloan?
    Jackson is great at managing egos and talent, which is why he is great. Great teams win championships, and you can't really knock Phil for that IMO

6. J-Tang

J-Tang Member

If it was just plain talent then Phil would never lose a series.

7. J-Tang

J-Tang Member

Just take a look at how Spoelstra can barely coach the Miami Heat. If Phil was in that position, they probably would have won 70 games in the season and swept every single round.

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

If you used to be the CEO of Apple, why would you take a job as the night manager at the Kwik-E-Mart?

9. olajuyao

olajuyao Member

now that he's finally done he will admit to Jordan being the greatest ever! can't wait until they ask him that question!

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

lol at people saying that kobe and jordan didnt win without Jackson.

how many rings does Jackson have without Jordan or Kobe/Shaq/Gasol?

Im not saying he is an average coach, he is great, but not the greatest IMO.

Phil Jackson got lucky and help of the refs to win some titles with the Lakers.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not really. Triangle offense needs a lot of people who are good passers, have high B-ball IQs and can hit the 3's.

Melo fits none of those categories.

Also PJ isn't overrated, calling him overrated just 'cause he's coached the some of the greatest players in the NBA is like calling MJ overated cuz he played with Pippen and Rodman, or Kobe overrate cause he played with Shaq/Odom+Gasol. Or hell, how about Greg Pops? Only won rings in the TD era, Sloan had Stockton-Malone for decades and couldn't do anything etc....:rolleyes:

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Cp3 won't be able to go to NY because the Knicks are already capped out from Amare and Melo. They can't big 3 it because unlike LBJ/Bosh/Wade who took discounts Amare/Melo both signed for full price. That's the difference when Riley assembles a team and when Isiah Thomas assembles a team.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Isiah did not assemble the team.

Dolan may have publicly thanked Isiah for getting Amare but Amare himself said he never even spoke to Isiah.

And there isn't enough proof to say that Isiah was involved in the Melo deal.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I hate Phil Jackson but it's hard to argue with all those rings. And to be fair he stayed in LAL when they were Kobe and a bunch of loosers and brought them the last two championships.

15. srrono

srrono Member

stranger things have happened so I would not say cp3 to ny cant happen

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Isiah has always been Dolan's hero, even after all the flack he received Isiah still managed to get a "consultant" position in NY. Isiah might not have done anything directly, but I'm sure Dolan was listening to him when he did the Melo trade.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised when Isiah comes back as the GM when Walsh retires.

17. limitlessRox

limitlessRox Member

I wouldn't mind PJ coming to coach here. Why would he be any worse than the candidates we're looking at now? He may or my not be capable of coaching this particular team to the finals but I'd welcome him here. There's nothing wrong with PJ except for the fact that he coached the Lakers whom everyone hates. Suck it up.

18. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

how many seasons has he coached without them you turd?

19. rocketman4325

rocketman4325 Member

He only coaches the best players to ever play the game. He does deserve some credit but I could probably have done it.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol...take the best player off of any great team and that is what you get. I don't know what people expect.

As I said with Adelman, in the NBA the coaches are the difference not in the regular season but in the post-season.

Phil's post-season accolades speak for themselves, whether it is his record after winning game 1 of a series or if it's only being swept a grand total of one time.

All this talk that he had Kobe, Shaq, Jordan, Pippen etc is non-sense.

Once again show me one coach who has won a championship with no hall of famers? You can't find it, even the recent Pistons team had Ben Wallace who is a lock for the hall and Billups who should get in considering he's a finals MVP (who usually get in)

Also if Phil went to New York I bet Carmelo would become a top 5 player.