1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Matchup Round 2: Lakers (2) vs Mavericks (3)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by underrated015, Apr 29, 2011.

?

Which team in how many games

Poll closed May 29, 2011.
  1. Lakers in 4

16 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Lakers in 5

32 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Lakers in 6

58 vote(s)
    26.0%
  4. Lakers in 7

39 vote(s)
    17.5%
  5. Mavs in 4

90 vote(s)
    40.4%
  6. Mavs in 5

25 vote(s)
    11.2%
  7. Mavs in 6

49 vote(s)
    22.0%
  8. Mavs in 7

26 vote(s)
    11.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Nah not really, remember some of these players barely finished high school

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

D*mn . . .

Not too sure who to route for from here on out.

I don't like the MAVS or the HEAT

So Memphis or OKC
    Celtics - Hawks or Bulls

Don't care for Celtics or Bulls

Rocket River

3. ashiin

ashiin Member

what did bynum do this time..? Didn't watch the game

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

As much as I hate the Mavs, I couldn't help but laugh at the Lakers during this game.

Glad they finally got exposed. To me they were always a flawed team. I mean our crippled team pushed them to 7 games a few years back so there's no reason a team at full strength with actual bigs to match the Laker frontline couldn't knock them out quickly.

Bye bye Lakers.

5. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

How about no lead is insurmountable and if the other team doesn't like the score being run up against them, they should play good defense without physical assaulting someone.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

How about a team having choked big leads before wouldn't know what an insurmountable lead is if it hit them in the face (like today), and acted accordingly?

Barea could have easily drove in the perimeter area and right back out, but hey he wanted to prove the Mavs have that killer instinct. Whatever. Act like you've been there before, unfortunately the Mavs have performance anxiety and thought maybe popping the blue pill would help them get over the hump (with big leads).

The Lakers were wounded dogs being poked with the stick at that point when Barea drove in, you take your chances on what the retaliation is when you do that.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think this is one of the biggest upsets of all time. a very small % thought the mavs could win before this series, based on both teams' history. and definitely NOBODY thought the mavs would sweep the lakers.

i'm definitely shocked at the series.

i would say this mavs team is the team to beat right now. their team is shooting lights out, playing great team defense, and is deeeeeeeep.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Does a 30-point lead with nine minutes to go really feel all that different than a 23-point lead with 13 minutes to go? And if so, what is the minute mark that it becomes insurmountable? 10, 11, 12?

Barea took the shot with 11 seconds on the shot clock. I guess one or two seconds later it would have magically been OK?

Teams that have "been there before" don't quit with nearly a full quarter to go.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

By the way, what are your thoughts on Bucks-Sixers, Game 6 in 2001? That's the first game that comes to mind when I think of teams taking their foot off the gas. The Bucks were up 33 late in the third... by 29 in the early fourth... before the Sixers went on an insane rally, cut it to 10 with 5 minutes left and were very much in the game.

They didn't finish, but they very much made it a competitive game after trailing by a similar margin to LA today, and the momentum carried over for both teams into the next game.

http://www.nba.com/games/20010601/PHIMIL/recap.html?nav=ArticleList

You do not stop playing basketball with 9 or more minutes left in a playoff game. That's the most silly thing I've ever heard.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He started driving in with about 13 seconds left and with the intent to score. But hey he was just showing the Mavs have that killer instinct when he could burned off a few seconds off more? Surely the Lakers could not have come back even if Barea burned a few seconds more, right?

Again you're asking if "insurmountable leads" is a clearly defined basketball 101 guideline like I can give you a link. Don't ask the Mavs, they didn't seem to know either.

And whoever said about the Mavs quitting? I'm just throwing it out there that they've choked before with a big lead so hence the extra mustard "just to make sure".

Again, you're embellishing it by saying "stop playing basketball". No one is saying the Mavs should stop playing basketball with 9 minutes left. But when you drive into the basket with what an opposing player thinks it's still plenty of time on the shot clock and he sees you give a chippy elbow to his teammate, now it's up to his definition (at that very moment) of laying on the mustard and his reaction accordingly, isn't it?

So do you have a similar situation in that Sixers/Bucks game where an opposing player drove in for a layup with 13 seconds left or more and resulted in hard foul? Cause otherwise we can't argue if the Bucks were laying on the mustard can we?

You don't know what the players are thinking when they deem another opponent is running up the score. We're not just arguing about "insurmountable leads", it's perceived running up the score because one team is scared of the past.

It's really up to Bynum's thoughts when he saw Barea driving into the lane with the time and score in the back of his mind. Barea didn't know any better because he is a Mav, probably didn't even think a hard foul was coming, the unknowing twit. To paraphrase Chris Rock, "I ain't saying Bynum should have done it....but I understand".:grin:

And here is Bynum's explanation of the flagrant foul:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6509618

No, Bynum didn't say anything about perceived running the score. But is Barea that naive to think a hard foul isn't coming when you're driving in the basket with the score and time left?

#1291 v3.0, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  12. NMS is the Best

Give full credit to Dallas this series. They played like champs much more so than the Lakers did. It will be interesting to see how far they go...

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

terrible point.

let's turn it around: if the mavs had a 30 point lead with 1 minute to go, and barea drove to the basket with 13 seconds left on the shot clock, would you view that as showing the other team up? of course you would.

so, you are admitting there is some undefined point somewhere between 1 minute and 9 minutes where it's accepted that the game is over and the foot should be taken off the gas.

bynum felt that the game was already at that point.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

he didn't have to say anything. kind of a clear case of actions speaking louder than words.

15. houseofglass21

Wow is v3.0 for real? Some of the most flawed logic I've ever witnessed on this board

16. ocelot4ark

ocelot4ark Member

There are a bunch of justifying weeping gashes in this thread. There is no excuse for Bynum's actions. None. Inexcusable. I don't care if the Mavs are up by 100 points with 12 seconds left. This is basketball. This isn't rugby. This is football. This is a 5'9" guard versus a 7 footer. This is cowardice.

What you're arguing is akin to a rapist saying his victim got what she deserved because of what she was WEARING. Do you people really want to be THAT guy?

Maybe the Mavs should have taken the foot off the pedal sooner. And by that, I mean they should have played like the Lakers. But ultimately we're all responsible for our own actions. Bynum made a decision to be a dirty POS. There's a difference between committing a hard playoff foul and trying to injure someone. Evidently some of you don't know the difference.

No excuse for that. None.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

In the end Bynum has a history of doing this and he knows it is wrong thing to do, yet he continues. This has more to do with Bynums temper than Barea doing being passive aggressive with a layup.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Is it logical to think no hard foul is coming when you're driving in for a layup with a 30 point lead and plenty of time still on the shotclock?

To that other person, yeah rape is such a great analogous comparison to what we are discussing about. Good job. :rolleyes:

19. gambingo

gambingo Member

Tmac scored 13pts in 35secs, so really no lead is too big if you have about a qtr to go....

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

great point.

now just find me some examples of teams blowing 30+ pt leads with 8 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. ty.