1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman, Rockets disagreed over successor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, May 2, 2011.

1. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

So you declare a NBDL coach who's NEVER coached a MBA game better than A HOF coach who winning% is best in franchise history. Please elaborate

2. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Lmao. Hiring this no name coach will be the WORST move in team history. The Rockets are going cheap and cheap don't win championships. How can you can you replace Adelman with this bum. Ridiculous

3. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Why fix something does not broken?

Front office need to concentrate on getting quality bigs to complement a solid offensive crew.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I get the feeling Morey is in love with this Finch guy just like he's in love with his Moneyball players.

What kind of prophetic formula has he devised to place a value on coaches?

Inquiring minds want to know.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yep, we can just skip the pretext and pencil him in for the hall of fame.

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Billy Cunningham? Didn't he retire in the 70s?

I'm down for a championship level coach to come out of retirement to coach the team but I highly doubt it'll happen.

Oh and HELLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOO on Tim Floyd. I seriously hope his name in there is a sick joke.

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Popovich was the lead assistant on Larry Brown's staff for the Spurs from 88-92. He was also an assistant on Don Nelson's staff for the Warriors.

Rudy T was an assistant for Bill Fitch and Don Cheney. He was named interim coach after Cheney resigned.

8. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

Seems certain that:
    1. Finch won't be our next coach b/c he's too inexperienced.
    2. Finch will be an Assistant/Development Player coach next year, whoever the new coach is (meaning new coach has to agree to that to get hired).
    3. That doesn't mean Finch will end up replacing the new coach in a few years, but it does mean that is a possibility, if things aren't going well. (If you are a head coach, you always know that is a possibility, so I don't think thats a huge knock.)
    4. Morey needs someone on staff to develop his projects (Twill/Thabeet/JHill/etc.) and Finch is apparently that guy.
    5. Morey wants to duplicate himself and be in more than 1 place at a time and further his Jedi mind tricks over other GMs.

Overall, I think we'll end up with a defensive minded coach with an open mind about developing players and receiving DM input. I'm guessing D. Casey ends up being the coach, but with all the stipulations DM is putting out, I wouldn't be surprised if the top choices pass us up. However, its a pretty nice job with the team as young and talented as they are, so I think the Rox will end up fine at the end.

Now, if Morey could only figure out Free Agency...

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Craig Robinson will never coach for Morey. His brother-in-law hoops with Shane Battier and Battier knows the Rockets organization is not trustworthy.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Do you think the Rockets could get some Obama magic if his brother-in-law was the coach? Maybe get an Executive order for the NBA to pull a "Ewing to New York" at the lottery?

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More turmoil from the front office. The more I learn about what Adelman had to deal with this past year the more surprised the Rockets' did as well as they did.

As far as coaches Leslie Alexander READ MY SIG!

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Rudy T actually had to be coaxed into coaching as he didn't think he was up to the task. If memory serves, I believe Popovich was the Spurs GM before he became their head coach (maybe this is Morey's secret plan). As for Finch, it really doesn't matter who they hire. He'll get two years and if they are still a lotto team, he'll be shown the (trap)door. In Morey We Trust...

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think he can do that, but maybe he can get the CIA to help us track down and kill Scottie Pippen.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey should be fired. Statistics don't win championships, Stern's blessing wins championships.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

my laugh of the day.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Carl Herrera again.

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

You might be on to something here.

Pippen and Bin Laden have never been seen in the same place.

Coincidence? I think not.

18. dschwab

dschwab Contributing Member

IMO, this is the most interesting news of the off-season so far.

Looking back at whats been said, I think the following points make the most sense in describing Adelman's departure (I'm paraphrasing):

Easy said: The Rockets know they are not going to contend now, so Adelman's best utility to organization was to groom someone for the future. The organization made this clear to him and he decided this wasn’t what he wanted in the twilight of his career. [Note: He is 65 and can collect social security for gods sake.]

Carl Herrera said: selecting a new assistant to be Rick's successor would be a slap in the face to the entire coaching staff. It's not surprising he chose to walk.

Adding to the general discussion on Morey's "coach in waiting" idea... I think it's silly:

Concepts like "stability" and "fluidity" sound nice, but as RV6 pointed out: NBA rosters change far too frequently. Locking into one coach or system risks not adapting to the strengths of a roster etc. Sure, great coaches can deal with this, but its silly to lock yourself into a situation where you simply have no other choice but to try.

In the end: Rick was great. I would have loved to see him coach the team for longer while grooming a successor, but that wasn't best for him, and that wouldn't be best for the team, either. I'm glad things played out the way they did.

Thanks Rick. I'm really looking forward to seeing who the Rocket's pick next.

1 person likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

more and more
    I am wondering about this. . .

Rocket River