1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebuild?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrJason, May 3, 2011.

1. MrJason

MrJason Member

This probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I don't know.. or rather I don't care if it doesn't because in every thread I've read about, there's always one person that talks about rebuilding.

But, where does all this talk about a rebuilding process come from?

Just because Adelman left doesn't mean that Morey is going to 'blow it all up.'

Just because Yao is injured doesn't mean: "OMG OUR FRANCHISE PLAYER IS OUT SO WE MUST TANK AND GET A NEW ONE."

If it's one thing that I've learned about Morey, it's that he never gambles. I look at all his trades and see that none of his trades have made the team worse.

The majority of his trades have been small but they all have made the team better. A lot of people will say that we're still in no man's land: stuck in mediocrity.

If we had a GM that wasn't DM.. What we have done with T-Macs contract? Just let it expire and spend all that money on a max contract in the summer even though NOONE wanted to sign here?

"But a new GM have traded away Yao years ago!" No, the reality is Yao makes too much money for the organization for Les to trade him away for anything. Heck, they'll probably resign him again in the summer just so they can keep the audience in China.

Has Morey ONCE made ANY kind of notion that he is planning to rebuild?

All of his trades remind me of this guy:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rTaCTyaKKrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morey is all about the value of his assets. He is never going to trade down and lost value. If he is on the better end of the trade 90% of the time how are we EVER going to be in rebuild mode?

"but what about Batum?!" - You're talking about the 25th overall pick in the draft - not many people knew he was going to be who he was. Even so, we traded him because we were in 'win now' mode.

"but what about the Battier and Thabeet trade?!" - Believe it or not, I bet some GM's might actually still consider Thabeet, the number 2 overall pick, a project with upside - that means he might still have some value. And what would we have done if kept Battier? Let him expire so he can move to a new team anyways? Would he have brought us to the playoffs? No.

My question for Clutchfans is: why would you think that this team would rebuild? Or rather, what has management done to make you think we're going nowhere?

If we never get worse season by season, there's no where to go but up.

2. KGdaBoss

KGdaBoss Member

I don't think the Rox in a rebuilding mode, more of a transitional period. Its pretty apparent changes and roster moves need to be made. Going from the Yao-TMac era to whatever the hell the rockets are now has been a work in progress. Morey has done an exceptional job keeping the Rox competitive while trying to find a new identity for this team. I like what the Rockets have as a whole. We just lack a superstar. We are a few missing pieces away.

1 person likes this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually, the only thing that came out publicly on what points Adelman and Morey disagreed on is the desire to "go young". Supposedly, in particular, Adelman's refusal to give Hill or Terrence Williams playing time was a sticking point. Now, nobody from the Rockets organization is ever going to publicly state that their plans are anything less than pursuing a championship, but "going young" is just putting a positive spin on tanking. If we play our young, inexperienced guys over our vets we're going to lose a lot more games.

We are rebuilding. What else can we do? When you're a team without a franchise player, what other option is there? Why else do you let go of a hall of fame coach?

4. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

we should wait for another 15 years to see if we need to rebuild or not.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's always a few people here who want to tank because everybody wants to have a top 3 pick when its time to draft. Most of the time, proponents of these aren't die hard Rox fans and would probably be the first to go if the Rox did indeed blow it all up. In terms of rebuilding, the current Cavs are the best rebuilding team in the L, they have a ton of capspace next season as well as TWO top lottery picks. Visit their team forums and look for posters who are ecstatic in the state the Cavs are in.

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

luis scola + brad miller for carlos boozer.

deal?

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Dreamin. Nice dream though.

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To rebuild implies we've built something. Our team is still just building.

1 person likes this.
  9. Raven

Raven Member

Yep, and I'm already looking forward to the 2012 and 2013 drafts. :)

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

huh??? how is that a dream?

its about providing the rockets with a great trade

look at this thread I made on REALGM trade board:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=2

Luis Scola
    Courtney Lee
    Brad Miller
    Chuck Hayes
    Orlando pick

for

Carlos Boozer
    Omer Asik
    Charlotte Pick

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

It's way to early to give up on players like Thabeet. Considering attitudes, I'd be more inclined to give up on Terrence Williams. However, I'm not nearly there yet. T-Will's biggest problem is that his positions are filled (Martin and Lee at SG and Lowry and Dragic at PG). The coaches can try to make him a SF but that's a stretch (pun intended). Thabeet, on the other hand, is 7-3 and needs to improve his footwork. We need to give him a chance to do that.

IMO all we need to really compete is a center (Thabeet is a year away) and another SF to complement Bud. Bud has proven he can give us 30+ points and his defense is sufficient, although it can certainly be improved. He's young and very coachable so I am optimistic. However, he needs a change of pace backup. I wish we could re-acquire Donte Green or trade for someone like Travis Outlaw, although Outlaw himself is a bit pricy for a backup.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

We've been rebuilding since 96...

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

This is beyond stupid. Being a die hard fan now means you should ignore the reality of our present situation and cheer for the Rockets blindly? Please don't question others fan hood because you disagree with their method of rebuilding a championship roster.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

may be stupid but its true....If we dont get that "cant miss" player in the draft after tanking, then we can be set back even further in the big "Rebuilding plan".... There are always gonna be great fans to stick with the Rockets , but there are gonna be people who lose interest and "dont give a damn" until they show some form of identity..(that would be I)

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As LTF said earlier, this is dumb. The old schooler poster like myself have been a fan since 78. I've seen it all and will be here come hell or high water. The problem most have is the sense of direction or lack of. You cant rebuild and compete at the same time. Whether it was morey or les, they shouldve started this process as soon as Yao limped off the court.

As I said before, i dont have a problem with morey trying to gamble on guyslike williams and thabeet, but he should also know that you must clear space for those guys. Rebuilding isnt a bad thing once its done right.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

To add to what leebigez said..

I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with what I feel is the best direction for the team to take. But don't call me "not a real fan" because of my opinion. If there was any group who would jump off the Rockets ship if they become bottom dwellers, it would be the people who have been screaming for the Rockets to continue on the same course and push for the 8th seed.

Why would I stop watching the Rockets if they follow the plan that I want them to take? That doesn't make sense.

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This. You gotta go all in on rebuilding. :cool:

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

This is true but how often is it done right??...And wouldnt that inquire that you pick the "superstar?"...Luck has everything to do with rebuilding as it does anything else.....Perennial lotto teams like Sacramento and Toronto both have been rebuilding for years....They both drafted some good players but neither has gotten the Lebron type player since rebuilding ...Watch how long it takes a team like Phoenix to start "from the ground up"... Patience is a hard thing for fans other than "die-hard fans( you)" to digest...I seriously applaud your dedication to the Rockets over the years.....But there is a breaking point somewhere Im sure...(you may not admit it) ...

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Why would Chicago do this?
    Boozer is better than Scola, they've already had Miller, Asik is their version of Hayes at 7'0, and the Charlotte pick is way better than the Orlando pick. But most of all why would you bust up a team that was the top seed in the East?:confused:

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not saying everyone who supports tanking isn't a die hard fan (take note of most of the time part of what you quoted), but a lot of the casual fans would look at the roster, consider it mediocre and then lose interest when the team begins sucking. Look at NJ, a lot of people were clamoring for a rebuild when Kidd, Carter and RJ couldn't get it done and when the franchise bottomed itself nobody went to watch NJ games anymore.