1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Matchup: Spurs (1) vs. Memphis (8)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by k-money, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
?

You know what to do.

1. Spurs in 4

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. Spurs in 5

23 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Spurs in 6

34 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Spurs in 7

30 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. Memphis in 4

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. Memphis in 5

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. Memphis in6

53 vote(s)
    29.0%
  8. Memphis in 7

23 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. what

what Member

I think you are analyzing this wayyyyy too much. Take a step back and realize that there are literally hundreds of shots like this at the end of games to win games. Pinning it on a monday morning quarterback style of placing blame on battier or mayo or allen (bet you didn't think about him not defending the in bound ball) is counterproductive.

The guy made a shot, end of story.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think in that situation you dare Duncan to take the shot. I think that Duncan is so unaccustomed to shooting 3s that he adjusts too much and takes the shot misses or doesn't pay attention to his foot being on the line and makes the shot but it's only a 2. In other words a much slower Duncan that is unaccustomed to taking the 3, much less taking it in 1.7 secs, either ends up making only a 2 at most and or missing the shot altogether. I think of Battier really thought about it he would have helped out on Neal regardless.

3. what

what Member

Where neal got the ball ball, battier was out of position.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Haha, lmao, the biggest Battier apologist in the world had to make an appearance.

Dude, give it up, Battier might literally be RV6's daddy. The guy will never find fault with Shane nor will he ever criticize him.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Because he was busing being intrigued by Duncan. You leave Duncan alone because he's the only Spur unaccustomed to that shot and more so given only 1.7secs. Just focus on everybody else even before the ball is inbounded.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

First, my mistake on the previous post...i was explaining why the spurs won, but i just noticed i typed that's why "it went to overtime", so i see what you were commenting about.

As for this reply, i'm not trying to pin the blame on them or look for someone to blame. I'm simply responding to the comments that did blame for either not letting TD go or not switching, as if that alone cost them the game. You're not going to really keep them from getting a good shot off. They have too many 3 pt threats out there, spaced them out, and used Hill, i believe, as a decoy to get the D looking the opposite way.

And yes i did see Allen, but no one was talking about him much, if at all, which is why i didnt talk about him. He didn't guard the inbounds because he was expecting a pass to Hill who was moving around, but ended up just going to the corner. Battier also was looking at Hill and took a step in that direction initially, before going back to TD/Neal/Mayo. Maybe they mentioned Hill specifically during the TO, who knows.

7. Kwame

What, this guy is literally the biggest Battier apologist in the world, which is why he's looking for any reason to absolve Shane of any blame, hence the over "analysis." Shane Battier could punch a baby in the face and RV6 would try and find a way to blame the baby. I'm not exaggerating when I say any of this.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

LMAO. Thank you. You just proved you are in fact blinded by hate. I'm gonna have to bookmark this thread for future reference. Thanks, again!

9. what

what Member

Oh, I didn't know.

I think that Battier cost us the game for sure, but not on that play. Why he did not throw the ball to Mayo in the backcourt I'll never know.

I mean it didn't cost us the game, but it sure kept the spurs in the game. It was a terrible play because the last thing you want to do is give SA time to win the game.

But like I said, even then, Manu even having that 2 point shot was a miracle. We get that rebound and we win. You can't place the blame on one person.

Also, for those that think that the spurs can pull a rabbit out of the hat and win 2 more games, when they literally have been outplayed for 4 out of 5 games are just not seeing the total dominance the grizzlies have on this series.

The spurs basically gave themselves one more game is all.

10. Kwame

Oh, you're gonna do a 180 and start criticizing him now to try and make me look silly? Haha, nice one. Almost as funny as you posting a video of Tim Duncan shooting 3s for fun as a way to vindicate your idol, lmao. What will you do after you "criticize" him? Go to your Battier shrine and beg for forgiveness? A sincere question: Who's your daddy? Battier?

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I wonder what would have happened if a Ref decided to call illegal defense on Battier on that hesitation? LOL Can you imagine the Spur's crowd in uproar. I guess Hill takes the ft and the Spur's can't close it out with less than 1 sec to go... be like 0.5 seconds left on the clock or something. :grin:

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont have to "start" the criticism. I already made it and you completely ignored it in your haste to call me a "battier apologist who will never criticize him and look for any reason to absolve him of any blame." Who knows how much you've missed in the past because your so desperate to put a label on me.

You really shouldn't let hate blind you Kwame, it can make you look foolish! Thanks again :grin:

13. Ditty

Ditty Member

"The Spurs will just ****ing not die"-Rocket Fan on Spurstalk :grin:

Just got home from the game an hour ago...wow what a game..."Miracles happen to those believe"...if there is any team in the league that will win a game 6 in a hostile environment it will be the Spurs, they have done it before, and pray they will do it again, and send this series back to San Antonio for game 7. That crowd was going crazy during the shots, which were absolutely lucky shots, but who cares, I was sitting in the last row in the upperdeck( sad it wasn't sold it, Spurs fans are too damn spolied :() It looked like neal's shot was off and was going to the left but it went in and the arena exploded, and after the game we acted like we won the championship. :grin:, I was there for game 6 when we won the finals in 2003, and it was close, nothing but high fives, game 7 chants, bad remarks about the grizzles chants which I can't say on here, and high fives.

Spurs need to keep doing high pick n rolls that has been killing the grizzles, slowly but surely we're finally figuring them out, we just need to play tougher, and rebound, but pop is finally making adjustments. Props to the grizz tonight, then grinded it out, and Sam Young killed us. Spurs need him and Conley to be shooting, and hope they miss, and surprise the grizz with some double teams also, but if grizz start making there outside shots, then the grizz deserve to win this series, defintley spurs are lucky Gay is not playing sorta, I think gay may have ****ed up some possessions also for them, and at the same time helped out, who knows.

14. Seth

Seth Member

I think some here ha to put things in perspective.

As a basketball fan you have to say that neither Duncan nor Ginobili deserved this end to their careers, at least not at home. They have been classy guys compared to the standar nba player and the kind of shut-up-and-play competitors i would like the Rockets to have.

San Antonio was the team that also stopped a 4peat of the Lakers and i will never forget that.

Now about that series, i doubt San Antonio wins it, but the true is that today San Antonio, as Ginobili said, was lucky, but so was Memphis in games 1 and 3,converting 3 pointers with 20 seconds left, one by Randolph which was (not by time left but by defense) a lot more difficult to make (even more considering that is Randolph agaisnt Neal who is a shooter).

Both teams have had a fair share of luck, also Memphis has been on fire for the five games, and law of averages will sometime took them down in that regard. (just as most likely San Antonio would go up)

I think San Antonio will loose the next game, but they won't go without a fight.

15. what

what Member

I here a lot of talk about how the spurs let their experience take over finally. Really? It was experience that they were displaying when the grizzlies forced a loose ball that just happened to get in the hands of Manu and that he threw up a prayer that Marc nearly blocked.

I think that people who hang their hats on the idea that the spurs experience won them this ELIMINATION game of all games, need to reevaluate their understanding of that skill. To be able to force overtime on your home floor in an elimination game in that kind of fashion doesn't inspire anything but doubt in my mind.

But as long as the spurs are alive it's going to be more of the same.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Grizzlies had an insane amount of factors added together for the loss

In regulation:

1: Battier missed free-throw.

2: BS call on Battier with that Manu flop in the middle of a breakaway transition opportunity. The ball had nearly gone under the hoop by the time of the foul and what's worse, the Grizz were in the penalty.

3: Not throwing the ball into backcourt when the Spurs were in foul-mode.

4: Not fouling when up by 3 with 1.7 seconds left.

5: Leaving Tony Allen on the bench and have Battier guard Ginobili. I watched the game closely and I didn't see Battier play any sort of defense any other decent defender couldn't do.

6: Clean block by Marc Gasol on Ginobili that was called for a foul. It suddenly felt like to me the 2002 Lakers-Sacramento series when Webber had that clean block on Kobe Bryant that was nearly called before Webber went up for the block.

In OT:

1: Battier's wild 3.

2: Allen's wild 3.

3: Biggest sin of them all, they started these weird as Battier/Conley pick-and-rolls and started trying to post up Battier. They completely stopped going to the bigs.

17. rocketsmetalspd

Great win for the Spurs but the series is not comng back to SA. The Grizzlies will blow out the Spurs because the Spurs bench will be out played once again on the road and they have not done well on the road this series. The young Grizzlies will feed off the crowd.

18. Arvid

Arvid Member

For all those who said Tim should be left open to shoot three, please watch this.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/trdsKp94Io0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

One of the most amazing finishes in regulation I've ever seen. The off-balanced 3 by Ginobili to tie the game with 2.2 seconds, that then gets changed to 2 so they are still down one. Then a guy who went undrafted 3 years ago, and now a rookie backup hits the tying three with time expiring. Purely amazing. Was lucky to have just turned on the game when the Spurs were inbounding the ball for the possession that ended up in the Ginobili shot.

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

And that's why Pops is a champion coach--drawing up the season-saving shot for Gary Neal? Pops is great at coaching up young players. He molded Duncan and last summer spent time in training with Jefferson. I hope we get a coach like him.