1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Kidney Stones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by H-townhero, Apr 27, 2011.

1. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

So this morning I urinated blood, but had no pain.

Hours later (around 3pm), it hits all of the sudden, pain like getting stabbed with a knife in the side of my abdomen. I went to the ER because I feared it was something serious like a Kidney infection or something. Luckily it was just a kidney stone. To my surprise the doctor said it was relatively small and would have likely passed (95% chance) without drugs, but gave me a prescription of flow max and Vicodin just in case.

I can't believe such a small pebble could cause me so much writhing pain and anguish, so I ask fellow BBSers, is there any type of prevention besides the obvious drinking gallons of water a day to help prevent this in the future (types of food and stuff, I'm not really into taking drugs). Feel free to share your stories if you've ever had one too, to make me feel better. ;)

I really never want to experience this again. :p

2. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

limit sodium intake and soda intake. That's what the doctor told my dad.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

cut out soda all together

4. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

or drink that oxymoron soda:

diet coke with calcium :rolleyes:

5. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

the odd thing is i haven't had soda since high school, all I drink is ice tea, green tea, and water.

6. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Drink a minimum of 2 liters of fluid (your body is designed to run on water not soda, etc but all fluid counts) daily. In an ideal situation you should be needing to pee every 2-3 hours while awake.
    Eat less salt and animal protein
    Don't take calcium supplements but eat moderate amounts of dairy in your diet.

If you continue the same diet and fluid intake as before your kidney stone, the chance you'll get another within 10 years is 50%.

Good news is that there has never been definitive evidence that non-infection related stones cause kidney damage. They just hurt like a b****.

Good luck. :cool:

7. lean

lean Member

You drink too much soda. Soda is really bad for you, stop drinking it.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

visit the circus.

9. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

should I eat some cotton candy while there?

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

if you want, just make sure to visit the restroom during the trapeze act.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

There are 4 different types of kidney stones: calcium, ammonium-magnesium-phosphate, uric acid, and cystine stones.

They are all pretty much caused by different things and need to be treated/prevented differently. If you see it a recurring issue in the future, I'd get the stones looked at under a microscope to tell you what time of stone it is.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/57rszDNkyrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  13. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

loved the video, hahaha

14. Nook

Nook Member

Been hospitalized 4 times for kidney stones. They can be genetic. Also you said you drink tea, I would limit your consumption. I have had surgery 3 times, because the stones were too big. Pay attention to your body and look out for obvious signs.

Also, there are drugs they can give you that will help prevent them. I refuse to use them though, I am concerned about the side effects.

Last time I got them I was driving from Texas to Oregon. Had the pain get progressively worse until I passed out in a truck stop in California and was taken to the hospital.. no fun.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Just got home from the ER. I have a 7mm stone that has been stuck just outside of my right kidney for 4 days. Going in at 7am tomorrow to have it blasted to pieces by some sort of ultrasonic machine. If that doesn't work, have to have a stent or surgery done before I lose my kidney (starting to show signs of infection from the backup).

This is now the 4th time I have been hit by these boogers. I can't imagine a worse pain.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Karl is the funniest person on earth. He is part of the best tv show of all time

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VpePyoqbtJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Unfortunately if you get one stone you are likely to keep getting them. I've had two about 7 years apart. I've heard that cranberry juice can help prevent them. They hurt more than you can imagine (well, not more than YOU can imagine!).

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How does drinking tons of milk factor into stones? Neutral? More likely to get them?

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If kidney stones were caused by soda, then I would have had 20 of them by now and I haven't had one yet. I think genetics have more to do with it. No one in my family has had one.

20. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Some are caused by genetics, but diet is definitely a factor (wow @ the thread necro btw lol).

Calcium oxalate stones (the most common type) is generally based on diet, and not usually because of calcium. The oxalate is what tends to bind with other things, and my urologist said drinking excessive amounts iced tea, cokes, etc can easily cause them. He also said having a low acidic diet can cause it as well.

Sorry you got them, they're hella painful. Drink lots of water in the future. :)