1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs are flatlining!!!! Bwahhahahaha!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ApuN, Apr 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The new CBA could make it a lot tougher. Stern hasn't been vague in hinting that they want to squash high payrolls, which won't be good for LA.

Also, unlike baseball or even football, it's not that easy to just buy yourself into contention, otherwise the Rockets would be right there. Look at how the Bulls went from the most dominant team in the modern era to a sad joke for almost a full decade. Jerry Krause felt like you do but learned the hard way that it isn't that easy.

2. dback816

dback816 Member

You're right, that's why the #8 seeds are always favored to win it all over the other se....wait a minute :rolleyes:

Winning championships every other year and being a strong contender rest of the time do count as a dynasty. You really thought the Spurs weren't legit contenders during the regular season? Especially with the way other "top" teams also slacked?

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

The Spurs haven't won a title since the 06-07 season hence me saying their dynasty run was over before this even started.

And no I didn't think the Spurs would win a title this year. When the seedings were set I had them out in the 2nd round against OKC. I never bought into this Spurs team winning a title.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You doubt that the Lakers will regress in 5 years?

I'd say the odds are more on them going back towards mediocre than staying championship caliber.

LA will always have that extra draw for free agents, just like a few other big markets and storied franchises, but everything is cyclical... and their time will come, just later than the Spurs/Mavs.

5. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

Figures....they are getting old

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That is a good question, is it still part of a dynasty when the titles are 4 years apart?

Is "dynasty" determined by the timeline, or by the players that make up the team? Maybe both?

7. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Rockets Championships 1996 to present = 0
    Spurs Championships 1996 to present = 4

Who's laughing at who?

Oh wait, we took the Lakers to seven games once.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

It's an interesting debate. If they had won a title I would probably go ahead and throw out the dynasty word. It also depends on what people would expect from them next year.

I guess it's easy for me to say the dynasty run ended a couple of seasons ago because I didn't really buy into them winning a title this year even after them having a great regular season. Reading around and listening to sports talk radio it seemed like most people did not have the Spurs winning a title this year even as a 1 seed.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It's been a damn fun series to watch. Although, nothing beats the Mavs Warriors series. That was grade A television.

10. liljojo

liljojo Member

Noone's saying the Spurs haven't been better than us the last 15 years, or even right now.

People just like seeing big dogs fall. That's why girls keep up with celebrity gossip and why so many people watch Yankees games.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the Grizz will become some kind of powerhouse. They look good on paper but remember they barely beat us out in the regular season with almost all of their players healthy. Gasol, Conley JR and Gay have basically plateaued already, they will still improve but I don't expect quantum leaps in their game moving forward and Z-BO will be 30 next year.

I don't see how they can go from 8th seed this year to powerhouse next year. Can someone enlighten me? Where will the drastic improvement come from?

As far as I can see, OKC is the only threat in the next 2-3 years, albeit an extremely great one. Portland seems to be the next "Dallas" (always the bridesmaid never the bride) with Oden and Roy dragging the team down, and the Spurs, Lakers and Dallas will be losing key members to old age within the next 2-3 years. I'd say the West will become extremely weak and ready for the taking once we get an SF and C upgrade.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Its 4 championships, why do you say the first one only count as half?
    All teams played 50 games, no clearly advantage for the spurs.
    If the rockets won that season, I couldnt stand people saying that the title only counts as a half.
    If we have a lockout next season, and they dont play a full season, will you say the title only count as a half?

13. ApuN

ApuN Member

I agree. This is just as stupid as people arguing that the Bulls would have won in '94-'95 instead of the Rockets if Jordan hadn't left.

Everybody started equally and in the end they won it.

Thats why I say they are a dynasty. The Lakers have only won one more since then. Plus SA has the winningnest percentage out ALL the major sports in that time period.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Spurs haven't tracymcgradied yet

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I would take Tony Parker for like $5-$9 million a year in a heart beat. Tony still got 7 yrs of game left in him.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

And where exactly do we get those SF/C upgrades from? The Draft? lol

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

You can laugh at them all you want but they still got more rings than us, and they actually had a dynasty. I don't remember Houston having a dynasty anytime recently.

Im not a Spurs fan but I wouldn't laugh at them because they have a better organization than the Rockets, they have more success, more rings. They may not win a championship this year but they will always be a playoff team while Houston missed out 2 straight years. The Spurs are taken seriously while others view Houston as a joke.

So again laugh all you want, they're still contenders while Houston cant even make it into the playoffs. Until Houston is actually good enough to contend, I wouldn't laugh at any teams because karma is a B**ch...

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

The thing is, Houston really never had a dynasty. The Spurs had a dynasty because they won 4 championships and were consistently dominant throughout this decade. This decade was mostly dominated by the Spurs and Lakers. The closest thing to a dynasty for Houston is with the Hakeem era but I don't see it as a dynasty because we only won 2 rings.

If Houston would have at least win 1 more ring during the 90s then yeah, Houston had a dynasty in the 90s. The Tmac and Yao era were not a dynasty. They were at best, an above average team. Even if Yao Ming and Tracy both managed to stay healthy, they wouldn't still be able to win it all except for that one year against the Lakers back in 09. I think that year if Yao stayed healthy, along with a healthy Tmac, Artest and our strong solid team we will probably go all the way.

19. ApuN

ApuN Member

Give me a break

I dont wanna hear all the mumbo jumbo about organization

The Spurs cheated to get Tim Duncan

Period

No Tim Duncan No dynasty

They have made good personel moves but without "Timmy" they win no championships

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Who is Noone?