1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizzlies and Zach Randolph agree to 4-year, $71 million

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LongTimeFan, Apr 17, 2011.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Probably a poor man's Lakers. We've seen ZBo, Gasol, Gay, and Conley all play together healthy this year, they are good, but not contenders. Iunno how much Gasol and Rudy can improve in the next few years before Zbo runs out of gas to really take the team to the next level.

I think Memphis is a solid team as of now, but not sure if they will ever be contenders with Zbo, Gay locked at Max, Conley, Gasol also taking huge chunk of the salary cap.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Zach Randolph > Luis Scola

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

If you think the Grizzlies two big men didn't beast in this game then you clearly didn't watch the game.

4. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

I think Zach was slightly overpaid, but they sort of had to when Gay got a max contract and Zach is better than him. All in all, it was a good decision to give the man his money. Not much point in worrying about financial flexibility when a superstar would never sign in Memphis anyway. And they also happen to be horrible at drafting, wasting #2 picks on Hasheem Thabeet, so no point in tanking. Might as well keep together the core of quality players they already have.

I think a lot of posters here aren’t giving the Grizzlies enough credit. It’s true they only won a couple more games than us this season, but they’re also one of the youngest teams in the league. Gay, Conley, Gasol, and Mayo are all young players who can get considerably better. Randolph is absolutely an All-Star, whether he officially makes the team or not. Maybe they don’t have enough to ever win a championship, but they’re certainly much more competitive than a team like the Hawks. I bet their fans are pretty happy about that after enduring quite some time in the dark ages.

5. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I understand you love your team, but this is homerism at an extreme level. You have two nice post scorers and they are quite good but points in the paint is not the metric to decide this; Houston has been top 10 two years in a row in points in the paint and Toronto is third this year. If you really think the Grizzlies are man for man as good as the Lakers, then don't be shocked when fans of every other team mock you for being wrong.

6. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

That's why I said "like".
    Compare their age, athleticism, ~style of play, the fact that their teams and fans love them.

7. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

This is about knowing yourself. We know we are not going to be considered title favorites but things can change quickly in the NBA. Next season we should be deep. There won't be any new guys to break in the rotation. We are still the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the NBA. Contrary to popular belief, this team is a lot better with Rudy Gay. We still have roster flexibility.

Right now there is only 1 big I would take over ZBo...Howard. And ZBo is probably 2nd to only Amare in ability to close out games. He has convinced me. Very few players raise their game in big situations, even fewer bigs, especially on offense.

I'll take this core (Conley, Allen, Gay, ZBo, Gasol, Battier and Arthur) over the next 4 seasons and hope for a WCF appearance as a peak. Nothing we can do to get Rose, LeBron, Wade, Durant, Kobe, etc. So better to be frustrated about losing playoff series than lottery position.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, looks like the Rockets should get the Grizzlies pick in 2013 at least.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

If they beasted why was it a close game at a time when one of the Spurs' big 3 was missing? Duncan also went of for 10-13 shooting. That's not what I call "beasting", that's just holding your own against a fading legend. Had Ginobili played Memphis would have lost, I'm pretty sure Gino is worth more than 3 pts.

The grizz look great on paper, but you gotta translate that on the court. Nearly getting beaten by us for the last playoff spot, needing a miracle 3 to put away the Gino-less Spurs, that's not the sign of an up and coming contender that the league should be afraid of. If we can get a legit C I'll bet all my money we get a better record than them next season.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Do you not realize how stupid you sound? If Kobe dropped 40 points, and the Lakers won on a last second three by Fisher, did Kobe not beast that game because it was close?

11. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

+ his old so yeah bad move mephis.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

This logic makes no sense at all but not shocking coming from you.

Go look at Randolph/Gasol numbers vs. Duncan/Blair/McDyess/Bonner

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

are people really comparing this guy to luis scola. lord have mercy

14. what

what Member

"Nice" post scorers? They are the best post duo in the league. Not homerism, a fact.

We are better than the lakers apparently. We won, the lakers lost.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You guys are amongst the top, but I wouldn't say best. I'd rather have the Gasol/Bynum if AB could stay healthy.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Please tell me you aren't serious.

17. what

what Member

That statement was merely a jab at the guy. Do I think that we are better simply due to 1 game, obviously not.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

As much as I think you're on one heck of a high right now.....I have to say your statement is pretty solid. People may start talking "ifs" and "healthy"...but that's part of the equation.

Gasol/Randolph are the most dominant 4/5 combo playing right now....and Camby/Aldridge might be #2.

Best FG% defense in the league (followed by Portland)

Chicago has been killing in terms of board work and blocks, though.

Good for you guys....and I hope the new CBA opens things up for us to steal Marc Gasol (nothing personal)

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He's put up two very, very good seasons so he's earned his payday, but as with any player that gets near the max, a team has to ask themselves, "is this guy a guy that can carry us to a championship?"

Because if he's not, you just severely limited your ability to go get a player that can. The Grizz have to hope Gay and Randolph can carry them all the way, and that's quite a leap ... but a chance they have to take.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's not all about becoming champions, there is only one champion every year. The grizzlies are still a business and Randolph can contribute to winning and getting into the playoffs each year which makes the team money