1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the Rockets didn't do anything...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The CDN Dream, Apr 17, 2011.

?

How many wins next year with the same roster?

1. below 35

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  2. 35-40

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. 41-45

31 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. 46-50

33 vote(s)
    39.8%
  5. 51-55

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. 56-60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 60+

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

Hey guys,
    If the Rockets didn't do anything this offseason, in a sense that we trade for future picks/draft a player who develops in the dleague or overseas or are not able to obtain a a legit centre via FA, do you think the Rockets could get 50 wins next season?

I know that this is a horrible scenario but in terms of our current roster, there is not much room for new players unless trades are made or players are cut. Therefore, if the rotation of players who actually see court time (what i mean by not doing anything) remain the same, I feel that this squad could get close or even break the 50 win mark next season.

We got 43 wins this year, and I feel that the way we played after the trade deadline could translate to at least 7 more wins if it was panned out over the course of the season. What are your thoughts?

2. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah pretty easily. We would need to remain healthy though. If Chuck and Kyle had been healthy all season, we would have probably had 50 wins this year too, even with all the other injuries/mental breakdowns.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think so. If ole T-Will would have played half way decent, the way we all know he can, we would be in the playoffs right now.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Then we would get roughly the same results as this year, but probably a bit worse.

Take note, the roster will be gutted. Over the next 3 years I would be stunned if more than 4/5 guys from this (/last) year's roster is still on the team.

5. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

At this point, change is needed to compete and contend. No matter if it would be a drastic change or not, something has to be done to build on the momentum established after the trade deadline.

6. ashishduh

That's not saying much, since there's only 4-5 guys that any of us would care to keep anyway, lol.

7. PeppermintCandy

Assuming the Rockets sign their FAs (Hayes and Yao), it would depend yet again on Yao's health. If he is somehow able to stay healthy and turn back the clock to 2007, we could be fighting for home court.

If not, I'd say we'd be about where we are now, not much better or worse. We could be a lower seed if we have a run of good health like we did in the second half of this season. But if Martin or Lowry end up missing a good chunk of games, it would be tough to even make the playoffs.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

We have a 0% chance at 50 wins if no changes are made.

9. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

If we played 82 games, starting the day after the trading deadline, I am sure we would win 50+ games.

For this scenario, we'd have to bring back Chuck and RA. And, lets pretend there will be no lockout.

Our youngsters are all getting better, though some might have sophomore slumps.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah, I think if we played 82 games after the all star break we will be like 6 or 7 seed easily.

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Still need a shot blocking center or we could win 60 games just to get bounced in the playoffs.

But to answer your question, yes. with same roster, 50 wins is achievable.

Should have a poll.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we played 82 games with a core rotation of Lowry, Martin, Budinger, Hayes, Scola, Lee, Patterson, Dragic......we would hit very close to 50 wins. That unit would beat the 6-8 seeds (Memphis, New Orleans, Portland) in a 7 game playoff series and would fight like hell against the top 4 seeds.

We did not turn over the point guard spot to Lowry until well into the season. We did not turn the paint over to Hayes until mid January. We did not involve Patterson in the top 7 rotation until the last three months of the year and we did not have Dragic on the roster until the end of February. These same guys playing Adelman's system from the beginning of the season will win 50. If we actually upgrade the 3/5 spots, we're looking at 55 wins next season. That upgrade at the 5 could be getting Yao back for 20 mpg. The upgrade at the 3 could be as simple as signing Kirilenko or Prince to reasonable contracts. Or it could be as simple as flipping TWil for Anthony Randolph. Maybe even signing Sean Williams to a minimum salary deal, and trading Scola/Hill/Budinger and a bunch of our junk for Brand and Iggy. Or we could trade Lowry/Scola/expirings for Paul/Okafor and be on pace to finish top 2 in the West.

13. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

could not even win 40 games.

every player will be bored playing for nothing again and again.

14. conquistador#11

I think we would be another 45 win team if no roster moves are made in the off season. Maybe get in, maybe not.
    The rockets, except when they play Orlando, can play with every team. But many times you can see the disadvantage when they play awesome defense and then can't secure the rebound because their powerfoward out leaped our PW and Center.

To put it in the words of the great leader lord vader...the lack of size is disturbing.

Cannot go into next season without a decent Center.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This is true. We have to add length to compete for a title.

16. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Are you all delussional? The only thing this team can do is overachive but eventually other teams will begin to figure them out and the Rockets will start to lose. Remember last year, they started the season winning but eventually other teams figured them out. The same thing would happen and I really do not see Lowry being able to be so agressive for 82 games. With the same roster, why would you think they would do better next season?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey first has to change the way he treats players! They have to be treated as humans, not assets! In all seriousness, if the Rockets did nothing except add a draft pick(or two) and hope for a Yao Ming comeback, yeah I'm not so sure this team is contending.

18. dartherus

dartherus Member

How underrated Scola is, remember how well Rockets were playing after the trade deadline? Until the game against the sixers?

Do you remember how the playoff chances were lost after Scola went down and then played several games half recovered?

Scola is not only his scoring, his basketball IQ and fundamentals are very important for the team offense. RA know clearly that.

19. ashishduh

No one is saying they'll do better, all they have to do is play the same way they played this season lol.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

For those thinking we will win 50 games next year with the same roster, here is who we played post all-star break:

Detroit
    Cleveland
    New Jersey
    New Orleans
    Portland
    Clippers
    Indiana
    Sacramento
    Phoenix
    San Antonio
    Phoenix
    Charlotte
    Boston
    Utah
    Golden State
    Miami
    New Jersey
    Philadelphia (.500)
    San Antonio
    Atlanta
    Sacramento
    New Orleans
    Clippers
    Dallas
    Minnesota

Nine out of the 25 teams we played to end the season had overall winning records.

Now think back to the beginning of the season when we were struggling. We had one of the toughest SOS at the time (I believe there was a thread called "It's the schedule, stupid!"). So when we were struggling early, it was because of our tough schedule.. and when we were successful late, it's because we have a 50 win team? You can see why I won't leap to that conclusion.