1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Jim Rome on a Mobile" FAUX SMACK-OFF today (4/8/2011) on 1560 The Game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketabc, Apr 8, 2011.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The Greg In Vegas voice is dead-on...or is that really him?

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

From what I recall, heard, brought up, Jim went with this fella, some real world cast off known as Kyle Brandt. He gave Travis the ax or something like that. Sean threw Travis a bone, and he eventually got a show.

In the past, Jim did acknowledge Sean as a past champion, but unable to call because he worked for a competition station.

3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

It is Greg. That was also Willie in KC.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

hehe. Awesome. I'm going to say that the Faux Smack-Off was quite entertaining.

5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

you dont know what your talking about, you were too busy listening to dillion gwen or brad davis or something

6. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Holy **** that was awesome. NICE ****, NICE ....................

:grin::grin::grin:

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah...it was almost too much like jim rome to the point where i got bored with it. They should have taken it a bit more ridiculous and over the top.

still funny though

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Was this Adam Clanton? I missed it. I heard him doing a Jim Rome impersonation on 790 for 30-40 minutes straight and it was pretty impressive.

I actually listened to the real Smackoff today on 610 and still can't believe I listened to Jim Rome religiously years ago. :( It was pretty entertaining if you wanted to listen to people tearing into each other.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I didn't think it was all that funny when listening to it live, however, during Travis' afternoon show, when he was doing the commentary over the previously recorded "smack off", I nearly pooped my pants laughing.

I hate Jim Rome with a passion, and it is a real blessing to have this guy in Houston to listen to now.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Here is Clanton doing his impersonation on Travis Rodgers' show a while back. Clanton has Rodgers and company laughing their tails off and Rodgers gives him props towards the end.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4z2uQlji28Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  11. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

You guys crack me up. Yes, with some of the stuff you had to be a die hard "clone" to pick up on it...but c'mon: The whole point was that we were giving a guy who takes himself waaaaay too seriously a taste of his own medicine.

Believe me, Sean and Travis are not "jilted ex-lovers" out for revenge. Far from it. In fact, Travis' exact quote was, "This is just simply too funny NOT to do."

Anyway, for those that enjoyed it...I'm glad. For those that didn't, you can't win 'em all. And for those that didn't get to hear it, the podcast is here: http://www.1560thegame.com/media/?cat=31

-AC

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I thought you sounded off the first few segments, but the second half, you were pretty much spot on.

KB sucks.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

With Sean, once he was hired by 1560, 610 basically said "We're an important affiliate, we'd like you to not have a guy on a competing station on your show because he'll be on our airwaves, so he was not allowed to be in the smackoff anymore." At the time, Sean was just mad at 610, but then for a while, Sean was scrubbed from the list of Smack Off winners on Rome's website. He's on there now btw. That made him mad.

Travis was fired because he didn't agree with the direction Rome's show was going. Over use of drops, "quad-yeah, dodeca-yeah," "buzzers" and other morning zoo nonsense. This was stuff that new guy Kyle Brandt was pushing or so it goes.

So that's Travis's beef, but I think that also added to Sean's beef because basically he see's the Rome show as getting really bad and that Travis was fired for not being a willing participant in the slide to self parody.

I don't think they hate Rome, I'm sure they appreciate that they have careers now because of his show.

What was interesting was some of the stuff Travis mentioned during his "directors's commentary" of the smack off on a mobile. Like that he would write most of the emails himself; "Dave in LA" or whatever. Or pointing out the obvious thing Rome does where he reads an email or let's a call go long enough to make it's point before crumpling it up or running the caller and saying that they don't want that kind of stuff on the show.

14. DreamRoxCoogFan

can you hear the travis commentary somewhere? I heard the original in my car.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Same here. I thought Adam's Rome impersonation started off a little rough, close but not quite there. But after he warmed up a little bit, it was dead on.

I'd like to hear the commentary too. I listened to the first few segments of Travis' show but couldn't stick around for that part.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I finally got to listen to this. Hilarious. Thanks for posting it. :grin:

17. sean1560

sean1560 Member

First, thanks to everyone here for their feedback and thoughts. I hope you enjoyed the hour on Friday. Truly inspired comedy. Not often that you have a piece of radio at your avail that truly can only be done by the group in that room, but between Adam's spot on impersonation, my Rolodex (Greg, Willie), Travis knowledge of the inner workings from 15 yrs as Jim's right hand man, and Brandon's production skills, there's no one else in ANY market anywhere who could've done this show. Nobody. Very good day for us.

That said, I just wanted to set the record straight on some things "Oski2005" said. I'm not sure if I know Oski, or if I've ever talked to him/her directly. They make statements as if they've spoken with me before directly which is why I bring this up -- I'm not "mad" at anybody over not being allowed on Jim's show. Not 610, not Jim, not anybody. I think it's kind of funny and if you think about it, doesn't my being banned from Jim's show make for much better radio content for me on 1560 than being allowed in? (I think Friday is resounding proof that the answer is "Hell yes!")

So I'm not mad about anything -- banned from his show, his website, whatever. I think I even give credit in my call for Jim's show giving me notoriety on which to go forge a radio career. And I thanked him for that -- in my call Friday and in an actual private conversation on the phone in 2007. It doesn't mean I don't think he handled Travis' departure awkwardly at best, and insultingly at worst. It doesnt mean I don't think his show is an easily satirized (again, see: Friday) shell of it's former self. It doesn't mean I dont think his horse racing tweets are maybe the douchiest, most self absorbed pieces of social media interplay in the history of the Internet. I do think all those things.

But trust me, on the list of things that matter to me emotionally, my status (or lack thereof) on Jim's show is somewhere around 3,465th. Seriously. From a radio content standpoint, it was important Friday. Hopefully, the other 364 days I can find other things to **** with.

Maybe this post is unnecessary but when I see someone I dont know making definitive, false statements as if they talked to me and I told them what they're saying, I had to come in. Thanks for indulging me.

By the way, for those wanting a continuous mp3 of the entire Faux Smackoff, here it is (courtesy of Stucknut) -- http://takebox.stucknut.com/files/040811 SeanSmackoff.mp3

If any of you have questions about this stuff, hit me on twitter (@SeanCablinasian) or email me Sean@1560thegame.com.

Thanks again everyone.

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Thanks for the insight, Sean. I am an avid 1560 listener and enjoy the work both you and Travis do...that said, I hope this is the end of the Rome bashing. I don't see the point anymore. Yes, the guy seems to be king douche and you and especially Travis would know that better than any of us. At the same time, he more or less helped you guys get where you are today.

I think the fake smackoff should be the final nail in the coffin for you guys vs Rome and hope you move on from there and continue to turn out the quality shows you guys do. The NCAA correspondents show that you did was incredible (and better and more original than your smackoff, imho).

When is 1560 going to offer Clanton a job? He seems more suited for radio than his tv gig and would be a good hire.

Keep up the good work.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah thanks Sean for the info. I really enjoyed Friday and found it far more entertaining than the actual smack-off. The smack-off used to be required listening for me; on Friday I couldn't handle more than half an hour of it. Rather than laugh I found myself feeling embarrassed for these people calling in.

Something I'm curious about is if there has been any reaction from Jim about what you guys did on Friday. Any idea if he listened to it?

20. sean1560

sean1560 Member

Faos --

First, thanks for the kind words and for your listenership. I really appreciate it. As for the faux Smackoff on Friday, I can't say whether or not we will make it an annual thing or at least do it one more time next year. I can tell you a few things (1) we will always try to give the people what they want, (2) there are a LOT more people asking us to do it again than not (literally the "nots" I can count on one hand); that doesn't mean it reflects actuality and it would stand to reason that people I interact with regularly would want us to keep piling on, (3) it was inspired comedy, like our correspondent day, and a helluva lot of fun to do. Both ideas hatched by me, Travis, Chance and Brandon sitting around b.s.ing in the jock lounge.

So we may do it again, we may not. Either way, glad you enjoyed it and glad you enjoy the show. Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. As for hiring Clanton, I'd do it in a second. Talented dude. Very talented.

Thx again,
    Sean