1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Morey's contract is also up, status described as "questionable"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Apr 6, 2011.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

EDIT: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6636400.html

It appears this report is factually incorrect, and Morey's contract was extended through 2012-2013 season in 2009.

We know that Adelman's contract is up after this year, and there's a good chance he won't be back next year. I have not heard much about Morey's status after this season, but one "industry source" says that his status with the Rockets next year is questionable.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14903483/postups-important-mvp-race-deserves-hard-consideration

[rquoter]
    Rick Adelman, Rockets: Everyone's contract is up in Houston, including Adelman's. There's no doubt he's one of the game's finest coaches. But with Yao Ming's future up in the air, it could be time for Adelman to move on. When Portland gave Nate McMillan an extension last month, it opened the door for the Rockets to do the same with Adelman. But sources say communication and trust aren't great between Adelman and owner Leslie Alexander, who may conclude that it's time for a different direction. Then there is the uncertain future of GM Daryl Morey, whose contract also is up and whose status was described by one industry source as "questionable."
    [/rquoter]

If Daryl Morey goes, would that increase or decrease our chances of retaining Adelman? There have been rumors/innuendo that they don't see eye-to-eye on some important issues.

#1 durvasa, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Le the Isiah Thomas era begin.:cool:

1 person likes this.
  3. gah

gah Member

Wow! I can see Morey being more expensive than your conventional GM, I would truly see this as a significant loss, however the first thing to come to my mind was this being a smoke screen for the Adelman situation.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wish Alexander's contract was up.

3 people like this.
  5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This is worse news than us getting eliminated tonight. Daryl Morey is the only truly great asset for the Rockets these days...

6. anchel

anchel Member

don't believe it

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How many great coaches is Les going to run off? This is getting annoying..

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3_CF3tALIuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  9. buffalobills!!!

Even though Morey hasn't delivered the home-run, he is still a quality GM.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Concur, the Rockets have essentially gone nowhere since he has been owner. And no he did take the Rockets to a championship.

11. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

I'm starting to think Les Alexander's sanity is questionable.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

seriously?

If either of these guys are let go by Les, then I will seriously question his leadership/business skills.

They both took coal and made mini diamonds. Any other coach would never had this team so close to the playoffs with no Yao.

Any other GM would have tanked instead of finding us low cost high value pieces to surround the behemoth that was Yao's/Tracy's contract situation when it was evident both were unable to help the team.

I will lose a lot of respect for Les if they aren't retained. Adelman I can understand if he wants to retire, then fine. But Morey has done the best he could with what he had to work with.

3 people like this.
  13. Prince

Prince Member

I think it's time to pull an Egypt like revolution. :)

14. conquistador#11

That laugh is creepier than ledger's joker.
    ijijijijijijiji

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

could not have said it any better. seems like it would be smart to give the guys a season or two while not having one or two max contracts sitting on the bench smiling. ( you know smiling because they are millionairs)

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

morey is a genius gm. he and adleman are the best things the rockets have going for them. losing one, let alone both, would be devastating to the success of the team.

adelman may not want to resign given that he's nearing the end of his career and doesn't want to spend a few years rebuilding. plus i'm pretty sure the writing is on the wall for him to get the laker job when phil retires this year.

morey and les have admitted to arguing over certain things. i can imagine morey may want a job where the owner gives him free run to do what he does best. les seems to impose his opinion a lot. that said, im not sure what better team has an opening for a gm right now, with an owner who will give him more freedom.

in the end i think morey stays, adelman goes. unless les' ego gets the best of him and he wants to clean house and hire a bunch of yes men. in which case, we should not forgive him.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't trust the source that described his status as "questionable." I'd say Morey is what is right about the Rockets.

I was at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston last month and if I was to guess, I'd say if Morey left the Rockets for any reason, he'd have several NBA job offers within seconds of the news breaking.

Adelman though -- I don't believe he will be back.

18. PeppermintCandy

I'm sure Alexander is unhappy about missing the playoffs after agreeing to pay the luxury tax, but it will take more than that for him to fire Morey. I think Morey will get a few more seasons to see this through.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If either goes, it's because they put their all their chips on Yao.

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

but would it be Adelman's decision or the orgs?