1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep Adelman for at least Another year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RX2012, Apr 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rockets_4_life

Something that no one is taking into consideration is 'Adelman's price tag'. I mean maybe Les, doesn't want to pay that large amount of money on a head coach of .500 ball club who at best is a border line playoff team.

Your right it doesn't, but blowing up the team, imo is about creating a 'real' foundation. Because the current foundation of Martin and Scola is fundamentally flawed. Neither of them are two way players, but yet both are considered the best players on the team. We will always be mediocre with this two at the helm.

2. Houston_Rockets

Remember chase????? He looked like a d-leaguer after the ankle injury.

You know why he is playing like he is now???? Because Adelman kept him getting consistent minutes even when he was hurting the team.

You keep guys that are playing after injuries, even if they are hurting the team, because they would only get back to shape, if they regain confidence on the injured part of the body. You hurt the team for a few games, but gain a player for the rest/most important part of the season.

Of course people talk about AB, what they donĀ“t understand is AB case is equal to Bud, there are only 2 differences. Ab was more important for the team, he was a starter, he was a better player then Chase, so of course Adelman will give him mins like he did to chase, and the other is AB quit on the team. And over that Adelman had no control.

Coach Adelman did things right, he kept giving mins to 2 important pieces waiting on them to recover to help the team on the long run. Did it have good results??? No on AB and Yes on Chase, but people only talk about AB because supposedly AB lost us this season, and Chase had nothing to do with our improvement in our 2nd part of the year......:rolleyes:

I have a question, what is riding the pine for you??? PP was never riding the pine, he was sent to the d-league as a part of his development and transition to the NBA. I give full credit to what 2Pat is doing to him and specially Houston staff ability to give him the tools, go to the D-league and work on them, and Adelman to slowly but surely give him quality mins/opportunities.

I guess you are one of those that thought that the Bosh/Wade/LBJ trio was going to be a team in 2 days. It actually takes time to build chemistry. And now imagine a rookie, with less experience, with less respect from others, playing 30 mins a game, in a team that has very solid PFs.

Too easy to critique when you are outside looking in, more difficult to actually manage these situations. And believe me, now, I know everything Adelman should and should not have done, now it is easy.

PeAcE

1 person likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If he wants to leave, so be it.

the players can't un learn the system. We ate rebuilding.

4. worzel gummidge

No one is mistaking them for franchise players.

5. PeppermintCandy

Agreed. Adelman should also get credit for sticking with Courtney Lee through his struggles earlier this year, as well as the career seasons put up by Martin and Lowry.

And saying that this team is playing superbly right now just because Brooks and Battier got traded and Adelman's hand was forced is, frankly, absurd. The way this team came together has greatly to do with the seeds planted by Adelman earlier this season.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There have been 2, players in the last 5 drafts who can conceivably be considered superstars, and 2 or 3 other all stars, on the flip side, we've seen 2 superstars traded and 3 additional all stars switch teams in the last 1 year.

7. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

We need to give Rick another 5 years.

8. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Excellent analysis by "Houston_Rockets" in this thread and right on the money.

There is a method to what many on this board have called Rick's madness relative to managing playing time. The results not only this season but through the years speak for themselves.

If he will come back, by all means we should offer him a contract.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Rick has done a remarkable job as coach this season. I hope he wants to come back and not retire. The Rockets would be brain dead not to resign him if he did.

10. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

We have to OFFER him a contract first in order for him to even think about coming back. Not Vice Versa.

I think Les is done with him.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

AB was a starter for this team when they won 42 games last season and put up decent production despite his limitations, Squid is the new guy whose sole NBA achievement is getting some minutes while shooting inefficiently for an 11 win team. AB deserve more of a leash than Squid.

As for Pat, the comments from the team was that they wanted him to work on inside play and defensive rebounding early in the season-- changing his habits from last year when he was playing more on the perimeter. Sometimes rookies just aren't quite ready. It took Landry 1/2 a season to get in the rotation, too. Nothing unusual. Too bad it coincided with Jordan Hill's distractions.

I got frustrated with AB and Hill getting too many minutes, but a coach has to give a player, especially one who has played capably in the past, some time to get back in synch.

12. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

Not even two weeks ago:

LINK

What makes so many of you think that it's Adelman who doesn't want to return? From everything he's said I think it's clear he wants to be here (at least expected an offer). It's the Rockets who haven't extended the offer for whatever reason.

Count me in as one who wants Adelman here for the next 5 years.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sign RA to a three year deal and be done with it -- he's lost two max players in two years and has done an amazing job with role players and semi-stars. The Rockets are literally one star player away from making noise in the Western Conference.

14. conquistador#11

I've been critical for not sending Brooks to the doghouse, but that does not mean I want him gone. He's the best coach out there. It would be a disaster if they don't offer a contract.
    Let's say he is not back though, can Sikma run the offense? I really love this concept of team basketball.

15. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Adelman has earned a new contract, in my opinion.

16. hahachui

hahachui Member

I support to keep him one more year....

17. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

I am not a huge RA fan, but, it seems like, among all available guys, no one is better than him. RA is an offensive genius, all we need is a defensive assistant coach like Thibodeau we had.

18. intersync

intersync Member

I really don't think that Yao and Rick are that comparable.

Yao just made 20 million dollars. Sure it's not his fault but he should be willing to play for the veteran's minimum (maybe even offer the contract himself) after the amount of money he has made while injured and the support he's gotten from Houston management and I don't think such an offer to him from the Rockets is nearly as insulting as offering Rick Adelman only a 1 year contract.

19. RX2012

RX2012 Member

The whole "bring in a coach, thats known for bringing championships to teams that are already built" is old school nba thinking. I don't think RA came here just because of t-mac and yao. And frankly i think he ENJOYS working with our players and likes the challenge...as long as his body is there (being 65 and all).

I really think we will be going backwards if we hire a no-namer like Turner. I don't even know who this Turner is, so I shouldn't bash the idea completely....but think about it...if you're the Rockets right now and you're riding high on your team development and a man named RA is basically the guy who helped co-ordinate most of it...the players will be feeling awkward if he leaves and their mentality will go from "lets do this" to "well i guess we gotta start over (meaning they will play softer)"

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

This.

I think RA is a great coach, and I would like to commit right now to giving him Les' money. I must say, though, I think he cost us many wins this season by taking so long to decide on a rotation, and that DM made him look good by helping him make up his mind in February.

He had a lot of unknowns, including AB's, Chase's, T-Will's, and Hill's inconsistencies, plus Yao's situation, and PPatt didn't emerge until later in the year. Still, I think any other coach would have decided sooner, and made corrections as time went on.