1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Stevens Next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

Do you think we can pry him away from Butler and would he be a good HC for us?

1 person likes this.
  2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

He's a good college coach, but I can't see him coaching at the NBA. Atleast not yet. Maybe one day in the future

3. He15man23

He15man23 Member

Honestly, I'd love to have him as our next head coach. I just don't see him leaving Butler. He's from Indiana and he's in a pretty ideal situation right now.

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

how is it kneejerk? adelman's contract is up next year and we haven't extended it yet.

it's not like it's a get rid of adelman thread after a loss

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

His background and skillset fits and complements our management team to a tee. Not sure what the chances of actually getting him are. If we do change coaches this is absolutely the direction I would like to see them go. Since they won't be getting a better coach than Adelman anyways, might as well be a complete change in philosophy.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Rule of thumb is you want the wunderkind college coach as an assistant first. There's an ocean between the authority a younger coach has at a school versus with the pros. As it stands, seasoned NBA coaches fight a losing battle getting multi-millionaire stars to buy into their system.

Rick Carlisle got his first real start backseat coaching the Pacers behind figurehead coach Larry Bird (after being a true assistant for Bill Fitch and Chuck Daly). Bird kept the locker room under control, Carlisle did all the strategy.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That would be the conventional wisdom, not Morey wisdom. :)

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'd prefer someone who runs the Princeton(or an offense very similar to Rick's) who also has some NBA experience, even if it's just as an assitant.

10. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

You read my mind OP. There isn't really any good coaches in the NBA that are available right now. Maybe JVG or Larry Brown but don't them simply cause they can't develop young talent and Brown single handily destroyed or set back 2 franchises. I wouldn't want Alexander to hire seat warmers like so many other franchises do. Think outside the box. Stevens is def. it. My dream situation would be resign Rick for a year and hire Stevens to be an assistant to learn under him for a season before taking the reins.

11. MONON

MONON Member

I agree 95%. I would have Rick & Stevens for 2 seasons before the complete change over though. Stevens does a simular job as Rick in motovating getting the most out of players. I would also consider Matt Painter as a defensive assistant, if he hadn't signed an eight year extension with Purdue.

Yeh, I'm an Indiana farm boy!:grin:

12. Carl Herrera

This reminds me of the CD to Morey handoff with Morey being an understudy for a year but probably getting quite a bit of real influence even as the assistant GM.

I am not sure it'll work with Adelman and Stevens (or any other young coach like Shaka Smart) though. CD was a Houston lifer who was willing to gracefully train his own replacement and step aside for Morey. Adelman sounds like he probably has more ambition left in the NBA and can probably find a more lucrative and longer-term contract than any kind of 1-2 year "training day" contract the Rockets would offer him. Besides, what would the rest of the staff-- TR Dunn, Jack Sikma, and especially Elston Turner-- think of the whipper snapper being handed the key to the castle? They would probably leave like Dennis Lindsey did.

13. Mr Chuck Norris

14. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

The track record of college to pro coaches isn't that good imo. He has had a great run at butler but I would want to see how he does with a bigger, more well known program that gets more year round national attention before the rockets consider making a run at him

15. DreamRoxCoogFan

why the heck would you want an unproven college coach? Stevens has made it to the Final Four 2 years in a row as a Cinderella with zero expectations. More importantly, he's never dealt with a full roster of NBA players. Its much harder to command the respect of your players when 1- many of them make more money than you and 2- you all are around the same age

16. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I would not be suprised, nor would I mind if Elston Turner got the job. He knows the players, he knows the system, and the players respect him. He's interviewed for several NBA head coaching jobs in the last 2 years. Teams have actually asked permission to interview him. He's an up and comer and is more defensive minded. All he needs is his chance.

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'd love to see what Brad Stevens could do with the Rockets. He seems to be bright, both strategically and tactically astute, a good communicator-- a Morey kind of guy. Les, this would be an opportunity to give the people what they want and yet, somehow, shockingly, see it proven to be the absolute right move! So it'll never happen.

18. Raven

Raven Member

You need to bring back a vet like Shane to help smooth the transition. A young coach like that would need strong support within the locker room.

19. Carl Herrera

We don' t need to bring back Shane. We got Chuck "The Real Shane Battier" Hayes. We also got Indiana natives Courtney Lee and Brad Miller, who will get Stevens' back.

20. eman

eman Contributing Member

Agree 100%. (BTW, there's no For Sale sign on Shane's Houston property. It's in my hood.) I'd like Shane to come back as a backup player/assistant coach. Les, you reading this?