1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Final Four Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

This is because UCONN is new to the football thing. UCONN travels well for basketball.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

For local folks that want to go:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkc/men/7495299.html

Hottest ticket in town is cooling off

The hottest ticket in town this weekend is undoubtedly one to the Final Four at Reliant Stadium. But with the field now set, that ticket isn't quite as hot as it was last week.

According to one ticket-exchange site, the average price for a full-tournament ticket is down by $117 over last week.

While Cinderella stories make good fairy tales, they don't necessarily make good business. A Final Four field of Kentucky, Connecticut, Butler and Virginia Commonwealth — none of which was among the top two seeds when the Tournament field was released two weeks ago — is seen as the likely cause of the price drop.

"A lot of the tickets purchased prior to the Tournament were probably fans of Kansas or Duke or other teams with these really high expectations," StubHub.com spokesperson Joellen Ferrer said. "Now it is a little more interesting, so we are seeing a lot of movement."

While the average price ($631) is down from last week, it actually is up from last year, when the Final Four in Indianapolis hosted Butler, Michigan State, Duke and West Virginia. The average cost of a ticket for both days was $550.

StubHub.com is one of many ticket-exchange sites for the Final Four. The NCAA's official partner is Prime Sport, which runs NCAA.OfficialTicketExchange.com.

Prime Sport president Sam Soni said the movement on the site is exactly what he expected this week. The site sells tickets for the games and hospitality events and has travel packages.

"The week before the Final Four is when you see the regional buyers," Soni said. "So now the Butler, UConn, VCU and Kentucky fans are buying their tickets while they are planning their travel."

Kentucky sales picking up
    Both Ferrer and Soni said the biggest interest in tickets Monday came from Kentucky.

"Kentucky is a traditional powerhouse, and it's … a little closer (to Houston) than the others," Soni said. "So we are seeing a lot of sales from Kentucky."

But on StubHub.com, the state that has purchased the most tickets so far isn't one with a Final Four team: It's Texas. Right now, 50 percent of the tickets sold on StubHub are from Texas. Kentucky is next with 6 percent.

"Usually, the state that is hosting the Final Four sells 35-40 percent of the tickets, so half of them is a pretty high number," Ferrer said.

By the time the first game is played Saturday, that could all change, though.

"This is when the people expecting North Carolina in the Final Four are selling to people from VCU who didn't buy tickets," Ferrer said. "I think there will be tickets exchanging hands until tip-off on Monday night."

Both websites had several hundred tickets remaining Monday afternoon.

"I think a lot will change as the week goes on," Soni said. "It is an interesting field this year, not an expected one, but that is what makes this a really exciting event for the fans."

jenny.dial@chron.com

3. G3t R3d

G3t R3d Member

i just found out that i will be attending both saturday and monday games of the Final Four! sooo excited!

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Is anyone going to the open practices tomorrow? I think they start at noon.

6. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

I'll be there. Can't wait.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Know what time the Cats practice? I guess it's best to arrive early. Free parking though.

Edit:

Found it. Friday's open practices start at noon, and VCU will be on the court first until 12:50. Kentucky follows from 1-1:50 p.m. Next up is Butler, from 2:10-3 p.m., and then Connecticut closes it out from 3:10-4 p.m.

#87 Icehouse, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  8. Kam

Kam Member

I love how the city is totally dressed up for it. Reliant area looks nice. Downtown looks nice. Galleria looks nice.

I went to the Galleria today, saw some Butler, and UK fans.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

10. Smokey

Smokey Member

Greg Gumbel:

What do you think about Butler VCU and U Conn Connecticut matchup?

11. RV6

RV6 Member

it seems ESPN is helping make sure Houston doesn't get another Final Four. they can't stop talking about how hot and humid houston is...:rolleyes:

12. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Are there any tickets available for any game? Where can I get buy them?

13. RV6

RV6 Member

craigslist would be one option

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

WHAT? It's like 80 degrees there isn't it?

15. King of 40 Acres

Too bad Reliant Stadium is already scheduled to host the Final Four again in 5 years

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Well it is humid. If you aren't from this area I can definately see the humidity bothering you.

17. King of 40 Acres

Here's the link for the Official NCAA Ticket Exchange - not sure how comparable the prices are to other options like Stub Hub or Craigslist. Also I heard yesterday that there was a few ticket available directly at a Reliant ticket office window but not sure what they have left or how much it would cost. I would call the Reliant ticket office ASAP

http://ncaa.officialticketexchange.com/buyfinalfour_houston.aspx

edit: it looks like the official ncaa ticket exchange are the same tickets that are available at Reliant. Basically if you order tickets from that exchange you go to the Reliant will call and pick them up before the game. Looks like they have some nosebleeds for Monday night at 100 bucks a piece and some for 80 bucks for tonights games. I believe face value for those tickets was 60 bucks.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you include humidity, the heat index is probably closer to 90.

19. RV6

RV6 Member

Completely forgot about that...but it's still not helping the city, even with another FF already scheduled. Doesn't sound very appealing to visitors.

I get the humidity is different, but they mentioned how hot, humid, and steamy it was three times in just 10-15 minutes. It's not that bad and it was partly cloudy at the time. Whoever was talking wasn't even in Houston...must have been Vitale complaining from here

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just looked and the heat index has been varying around 83-87. Not that bad, but humidity is a pain, I guess. *shrug*