1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Steve Nash should be MVP?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Mar 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Right now

15.5 points, 11.4 assists, 49.7% FG, 40.1% 3PT

The year he won MVP in 05

15.5 points, 11.5 assists, 40.2% FG 43.1% 3PT

He's shooting around 50% in FG the whole year and he has very similar stats as the year he won MVP, so why can't he be given the MVP award this year?

2. amazinghappens

because his team is not in the playoffs

3. Rockston

Rockston Member

His team isn't winning this year.

4. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

But he has the same stats, are you guys actually telling me despite having the same stats he doesn't have as much impact as his MVP year and its not good enough to win the title :eek::eek::eek:

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

....yes

If only stats equaled MVP, the scoring champion would almost always win

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

For the sake of accuracy, his FG% in that MVP year was 50.2% not 40.2%.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

lol that's a massive difference

8. clippy

clippy Member

Yes, that's how the MVP works. Wilt averaged 50/25 one year and didn't win it. Oscar averaged something like 30/12/12 and didn't win it. That was the same year. You know who won it? Bill Russell and his mediocre stats and great team.

9. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

It sure is!

Are you guys actually telling he's shooting a high FG% and yet his team isn't in a great position to win games :eek::eek:

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The MVP award goes to players who play on a contender, not simply based on stats.

11. what

what Member

Basketball is team game. Shocking, I know.

The problem is that the nomenclature of MVP invites multiple definitions. It is how you define Valuable that determines how you vote. I take it that you view the MVP as the best player in the league, well that's not what the MVP means frankly. You should petition the league if you want that award given out. But since there is no definitive definition, nash is as entailed as anybody to receive.

12. bongo33

bongo33 Member

Steve Nash is blessed with longevity. If I were him I'd go to a contender if the GM doesn't improve his supporting cast.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Whichever contending team Nash goes on would become an instant favorite, provided they don't mutilate their roster to acquire him.

If Boston had Nash instead of Rondo, they would have at least two championships.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

well his level of impact is pretty much the same. his teammates just aren't as good.

15. aaaa

aaaa Member

Why is it that every Kobe stan has to hate on Steve Nash? I guess all those playoff losses to the Suns must've hurt :(

Sorry Nash won MVP all those years ago over Kobe.

GIVE IT UP ALREADY.

16. Roxs-Redemption

Not a huge different between those two seasons...but he should be in the Top 25

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Thanks for pointing out how great of a point guard Nash is..

He's putting up the same ridiculously high 11+ assists with this dead corpse of a supporting cast as with an all star supporting cast of Amare, Marion Joe Johnson etc.

The fact that he is still shooting an phenomenal 50, 40, 90 at age 37 with a no all star supporting cast shows just how ridiculously consistent and good he is. And this also defeats the whole argument of Nash can only put up numbers with Amare and Marion.

And to answer you question, no he doesn't deserve the MVP because his team doesn't have the best record in the NBA.

18. Steve_Francis_rules

I'm surprised nobody else seems to have figured this out yet, but this thread has absolutely nothing to do with Steve Nash.

To the OP: Nash isn't in the MVP discussion because his team sucks. If his team was sitting at a record of, oh, I don't know, let's say 51-23 and he was the best player on the team and putting up comparable numbers to his MVP seasons (and better all-around numbers than any other player in the league), then he would be in the discussion for MVP still.

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Am I the only one who understands this guy is being sarcastic, and implying that Nash didn't deserve his MVP awards? I agree Nash didn't deserve the MVP awards when he got them.

Of course everybody understands that he doesn't deserve the MVP this year.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Let's just get to the point, Nash deserves that award 10 times more than Kobe Bryant that year