1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Famous people (besides NBA) you've randomly met or seen?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

I met some of the broken lizard gang, incredibly nice people, also talked to Dan Akroyd.

2. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

randomly?
    Prince Charles (he was visiting a wildlife conservation park in W Africa & stayed at the the owner's residence in Lagos...i was/am friends with the owner's son - who recently was in the news for offering $1mil for Obama streaker!!!!)

Diana Ross (briefly attended same boarding school as her daughter)

Adnan Khashoggi (son also attended Millfield School)

3. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Minnie Driver while visiting Niagara Falls. They were filming Owning Mahowny. It was a school trip and she was pretty annoyed by all the high schoolers taking pics.

Rob Lowe when I was in Cleveland, on another school trip, a HOSA competition actually. They were filming Proximity.

4. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Played pick-up ball with Norm MacDonald at the Kahala Mandarin in Oahu.

5. M.A. Dub

M.A. Dub Member

Ben Crenshaw
    Lil Flip
    Johnny Chan
    Jason Alexander

6. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

many assorted athletes over the years but the one I remember the most is Spencer Tilman.

He even let me put on his super bowl ring....it was awesome!

7. Kate81

Kate81 Member

My hero, Sage Rosenfels at HEB... saw him a couple times there.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:( Did he drop the groceries as he was about to put them in the car? *fumblearooski* ;)

I don't get around much and don't meet too many celebrities. I would if I were to go out more often, but I don't. These are some people I can think of just off the top of my head:

Talked to Johnny Cash at the Fort Worth Holiday Inn back in the spring of 1991, in the hall, getting ice, while we were there to see a play at Tarrant County JC.
    A friend says: "Hey! :eek: Look! There's Johnny Cash! Let's go say hi to him."
    We go and say hello, he says "hello, fellas. Nice to meet you. :eek: " We shake his hand, say "have a good time!" to him.
    We leave. I say: "Who the F* is Johnny Cash?" I didn't know him and never heard of him at the time.

Also got to talk to Selena Quintanilla at private party in the early 90's at the Arabian Shrine Temple. I got to take a couple photos with her.

Met Jorge Ramos, well-known Univision Anchor, at a book signing. Didn't say too much to him other than "I'm a big fan."

Met Cheech MarĂ­n at the place where I work because he brought some artists over for an exhibit. I didn't say much to him, other than "can I take a photo with you?" and he said "Yeah, sure, man!" a'la Cheech & Chong style.

Dominic Kinnear at the Zoo last Tuesday:
    He passed right by me. He had like maybe a week-old bear growth and was wearing a black shirt and a baseball hat, was with his kids and wife. I say to my wife: "Hey, that's Dominic Kinnear from the Dynamo!", so I say louder, now to him: "Coach Kinnear? :confused: "
    He turns. "Yes, hello."
    "Great job with the team, sir. I'm a fan of the Dynamo. Hope you all do well this season. I'll be seeing you from the stands. :eek:"
    "Yes, I hope so, too. Thank you."
    "See you later, sir. Enjoy the zoo!"
    "Thanks."

9. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I use to be a valet at a decent hotel near stanford university. Met Jerry Rice a couple times (along with his hot masseuse\hooker friend), Benecio del Toro, and a lot famous female tennis players who stayed an our hotel during some yearly tennis tournament. Also met Dan Abrams from msnbc when they were covering the Scott Peterson trial.

10. Relentless

Relentless Member

Questlove at the airport in Tampa.

Joel Osteen- Christmas shopping at the Galleria. Dude is like 5'6. His wife was with him,would hit.

That's it for "randomly"

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I talked to Eugene Hutz and some other members of Gogol Bordello after one of their shows. They do an afterparty after their shows at a nearby club. They all seemed pretty down to earth but when a waiter was walked by Eugene Hutz with some flatbread he grabbed some of the bread off of the tray and starting eating it. The waiter seemed surprised but didn't say anything. I guess you can get away with that stuff when you are a rockstar.

Went drinking a few times with Keith Roberts the lead singer of the Young Dubliners. That guy can drink like a fish and it was very tough keeping up with him.

Have met several politicians mostly from Minnesota with the ones best known out of MN Tim Pawlenty, Paul Wellstone, Jesse Ventura and Walter Mondale. Tim Pawlenty was most friendly politician I've met even holding up his schedule to talk to me briefly.

Paul Wellstone was pretty friendly and I tried to convince him to come and visit the U of MN Judo school since he had been a wrestler. He said he would love to visit but he couldn't work out since his back was bad. He died in a plane crash two years after a I met him so never got to follow up.

I met Jesse Ventura two years ago and also invited him to come and visit the Judo dojo. He also said he was too old and injured to work out and also said he was too busy to stop by. He then talked about all the shows he was working on. He didn't seem like a bad guy but he seemed like he was self aggrandizing.

Walter Mondale just seemed like a cranky old man.

Other than that shook hands with Jesse Jackson at a speech at Berkeley and ran into Arlen Specter when he was coming back from Ted Kennedy's funeral. Talked to him briefly and he seemed to lose interest once he found out I wasn't from Penn. I was impressed though that he sat in coach on a flight from Boston to Philadelphia and waited his turn to get on and off the plane.

Only famous actor I can recall meeting was Josh Hartnett at the Democratic election night party in Minneapolis on 2004. He was drinking a bottle of Cristal and I was standing by him. I didn't know who he was at first and he gave me a few swigs from his bottle and then someone told me who it was.

12. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Michael DeBakey - Met him on a random flight from London to Houston. Nice guy. This was....2004, maybe? I'm pretty sure he was 96 at the time and he lived to 99 and a few months. Duded snored like no one I've heard before or since.

George W. Bush - When Dubya was governor of Texas. I was a band geek, and in college we played for some Republican site committee thing. I talked to him for a few minutes. He was genuinely one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Ice Cube - I was on a flight from Houston to Austin back in 1993 or so and I was sitting next to one of his bodyguards. Then I walked up and introduced myself to Ice Cube. I've still got his autograph somewhere.

Chuck Norris - I met him at some karate school function when I was in 6th grade. He was cool; encouraging. Bruce Lee was my hero. I was more fascinated that he knew Bruce than I was excited about meeting Chuck himself. I didn't tell him that, of course. It would have been awesome if all the Chuck Norris jokes were around back then.

Booker T - I met him on an airport parking lot shuttle bus. Nice guy.

I saw Shaq one random day at the Galleria, met Matt Maloney at the Kelvin Arms pub, Robert Horry at Birraporetti's, Ken Caminiti at a Chili's in Sugarland, and at Treasures I've seen Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Mo Taylor, Baron Davis, David Lee, and a few others I can't remember remember at the moment.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Save the cheerleader, save the world.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Met Booker T at Wing Stop, he was really cool.

I was in the music biz for a longtime, the list of musicians I met is long, some of which I wish I hadn't met.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Met Ken Caminiti in 99 and yes I believe he was happy at that time, although I can not confirm that.

Also meet Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell, nice...nice people.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why besides NBA?

Terrell Owens
    Too Short
    Eddie George
    DJ Pauly D
    Mario Williams
    Jacoby Jones
    Al Davis
    Barry Bonds
    Tom Glavine
    Jeff Bagwell
    Kim Kardashian
    Paris Hilton
    Antonio Esfandiari

Going out in LA and Vegas...just been able to run into a lot of celebrities. They are all over the place.

17. DreamRoxCoogFan

I ran into Mario Williams 2 or 3 years ago at a UH softball game. I was dumbfounded when I saw him, dude is huge.

18. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

That's funny, 'cause I met him at that same Doubletree. It's also funny that you mention Hastings (Tila Tequila), because that's whose prom I was at when I met him.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Justin Bieber, about a month ago. Saw him by pure accident. me and couple of friends were picking up some tickets from a guy in a hotel. Turns out Biebs was staying there and was about to come out the same hotel.

He looks way smaller than I imagined, literally looks like a 12 year old. He was holding his little sister which was kinda cute. And umm his mom is a fricken MILF lol. Couldn't really approach him to say anything because of massive bodyguards.

20. Prince

Prince Member

Roger Moore at the Houston Center in Downtown.