1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Still not much love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mattrbowers, Mar 24, 2011.

1. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

I can't believe how little love the Rockets get after all this improvement. Maybe it's because after a big game, I'm specifically watching sportcenter to see what they'll say. But it just seems wrong ... here are a couple examples from today:

1) The Lead ticker was lit up talking about Griffin's first career triple double, yet not a mention (from what I saw this morning) of Hayes at all. Seems like that would be more news worthy; I mean we know Griffin is going to pile up the triple doubles. Not to overlook it, but isn't an undrafted player earning his way to a triple double big news?

2) There was a story talking about who was better off after their respective trades. They talked about Boston, OKC, Phoenix, Memphis ... maybe there was another but I can't remember. The anchor was going on about how some of these teams have had great records since the trade. Our record since the trade is better than EVERY OTHER TEAM they talked about on that segment.

Are we not due some national coverage??? Maybe it's all for the best, since this team once again seems to thrive on being the underdog.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

We never get national coverage, even when we're in the playoffs. I remember, the year we won 22 in a row, it wasn't until we were up to like 12 or 13 that ESPN started to mention us.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well to be prefectly honest, what have the Rockets done to earn that type of recognition? The run we are on should be a pretty big local story for sure but nationally we aren't even a playoff team. Chuck did get some love from NBA TV last night but Griffin is their poster child and the other stories were about playoff teams, didn't see much about PHX either except being tired from the 3 OT game the night before.

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

We're still 9th in the conference. What do you want them to say about us?

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yep.

Even if we got some recognition, Rockets wouldn't know what to do with it. In the past the moment we garner some love we wilt; I'm content being background noise.

6. PeppermintCandy

I'd guess this is because the three players the Rockets received in the trade has had zero impact on the team's win-loss record. And the "addition by subtraction" angle of Houston story is probably not interesting or understandable to the general NBA fans.

7. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

9. Houston 38-34
    13. Clippers 28-44

1 person likes this.
  8. Houston_Rockets

Don´t worry, they will talk about us after we destroy Miami on Sunday.

PeAcE

1 person likes this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

dunno?

maybe something about us being right in the playoff race having moved up a few spots in the rankings?

maybe something about Houston being the second hottest team in the league since the all-star break? (11-3 ties us with chicago, only Lakers are better since ASW).

Sure, we're not in the playoffs RIGHT NOW, but we've stormed back into the picture, and look like giving it a good shake!

1 person likes this.
  10. liljojo

liljojo Member

I don't really care what national people think about us.

They'll notice us during our championship parade.

1 person likes this.
  11. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Chuck just got some high praise on Around the Horn from Jamele Hill and Michael Smith, they chose him over Blake Griffin, yes!

1 person likes this.
  12. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Grizzlies are not geting any love either though some of their players have done extremely well. They're like us flying under the radar and could make some noise come playoff time.

Rockets don't deserve that much love, only if they make the playoffs.

13. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

The Grizzlies can have ALL the spotlight, that's fine by me. Let their opponents prepare for them hard and play them hard while we fly under the radar.

I'm sure we'll get our props when we finish out 15-0. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  14. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

If that were to happen, the story would be about Miami's struggles..

15. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

We blew out the Celtics and held them to a season low in points scored.

What made me more mad than anything was when Gordon Hayward's putback dunk was in the top 10 but Patterson's wasn't. That's absolutely terrible. Patterson's jump was the EXACT same as Blake Griffin's...minus the KIA. They made a freaking commercial with Griffin's dunk. Patterson should have at least been in the top 10...

16. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

More like 15 or 16.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We have a team with really no stars and that has played .500 ball all year. They finally have started playing decently and you guys want the world to take notice? The fact is, we're still a .500 team that happens to be playing better, and may not even make the playoffs. The drama of fighting for the last playoff spot should probably get us some attention if anything.

JVL713,

Just 2 games before playing us, the Celtics lost to the New Jersey Nets. The Nets held them to 79 points. Look at what the Celtics have been doing in March and you'll see them either losing or barely beating a lot of average or bad teams.

18. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

after starting the season 0-5, we are 38-29.... yeah thats mostly because of how they have been playing lately, but thats pretty solid.

However, we still dont deserve much recognition for just being a slightly above average team. Like some said earlier, we have no stars or nothing.

Griffin gets mentioned for his trip dub cause he is a star player.... hayes is not. We gotta win some more games and make the playoffs for someone to start considering talking about us. Otherwise, dont expect anyone to waste their time mentioning us.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wtf? Blake Griffin getting a triple double IS a big deal. Many people think he can only dunk. He's a complete player. The people he gets compared to like Kemp...Kemp only had one triple double in his entire career. Amare,,,,none.

Hell, Duncan has only had 3 triple doubles to date.

Besides Hayes has gottn a lot of love from this. And so should Blake. His triple changes the impression of him similar to Hayes.

There just aren't too many bigs who get triple doubles....most are a bunch of softies ... haha

20. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

It does not really matter. Do Indiana get more love from the press than us?

THe rox has not really proved anything the past 5-6 years. Griffin is an exciting player. Don't put too much on it.