1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Stern Layeth the Smack Down on Stan Van Gundy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Manny Ramirez, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

fixed

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I strongly dislike Stern and thought he should have left a few years ago. But he's a convenient whipping boy for everything people disagree with about the NBA.

SVG just talks too much about things other than his team for his own good. I get tired of it. This time it will cost him. I actually agree with him that Howard takes way too much punishment and opposing players should be called for more fouls and flagrant fouls against him. Yao had the same problem because the NBA still doesn't know how to officiate big men. But when SVG called out Stern by name, he crossed the line. As an employee of an NBA team, there is no way SVG can be allowed to get away with those comments. He should let fans and commentators do that for him.

Maybe this will also teach SVG a lesson and he'll stop yattering about Shaq, the Heat, etc and focus on his own team instead.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    The Emperor....he's coming here?!?

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I concur. What SVG said was idiotic. Saying it in public was idiotic. And Stern has shown restraint (along with some arrogance of course) in letting the team deal with him instead of slapping him with a giant fine like he did JVG.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Oh thank God, sperm puts an end to those verbal terrorism put out by players and coaches.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That's right. Stern himself confirmed this on one of Bill Simmon's recent podcasts.

...and the owners aren't going to vote him out anytime soon exactly for the same reason most NBA fans hate him - he cares about the business side too much. He's turned the league into a place that not only attracts big time US sponsors, but big time global sponsors too because of the sports international popularity. While he has squashed out a lot of the things we love about basketball - intensity, emotion, fairness( :mad: ) his watering down of the game has made it more appealing to a broader community and that means increased franchise values for these teams.

Despite all these talks of individual teams losing money, the NBA as a whole is making lots of money and Stern has undoubtedly contributed to that and that's why the owners who own these franchises will never vote him out and with Stern's ego - he will rule this league until the day he dies.

7. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

Lole at stern haters. David stern is prolly the number one positive that has happened to the NBA. I think he does a fine job of handling the business aspects of it while still maintaining the competitive spirit of the game. If he wasn't. The game wouldn't grow to what it is today. Everything enjoyable, well most of it, has happened during the stern era. Too many ppl focus too much on the negatives but not much on the enormous positives he brought to the NBA. If you hate the NBA so much then stop watching the nba and watch college ball or any other bball league and leave the other millions of fans that love it.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I do feel that Stan Van Gundy did not handle this in the best way possible. However, with that being said, David Stern is going to have to do something about the constant complaining that coaches, fans, and others have about his officials. Remember, it still hasn't been that long since the Tim Donaghy controversy. Most fans of the NBA still feel that the majority of the games are fixed, whether that is right or not.

Obviously, he can't come out and agree with SVG on his comments but, damn, he could have been a little nicer and not have gone "Godfather" on his ass, lol.

9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

and Mark Cuban

10. TheGoldenGreek

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gTAr4r24X3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Awesome

Awesome Member

Tim Donaghy
    David Stern's response to Stan Van Gundy's comments about him being a dictator. "I would render a guess....that we will not be hearing from Van Gundy for the rest of the season." That's code for, keep your mouth shut or we will screw you in the playoffs. AGREE ???

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I dont think Stern is as bad as he's made out to be personality wise. Other commissioners don't respond with the dry wit and subtle arrogance he does to criticisms :eek:

Though he does act like School Principal Stern a bit much at times. Making kids, I mean, the players look their Sunday best having to wear suits. If he could send Van Gundy to detention hall, he'd do it

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think SVG was complaining that people are flagrantly fouling Howard, but they're not calling them, so the other teams just push the limits until Howard blows up. He said you can't get away with that type of fouling on perimeter players, but the NBA tacitly consents to this stuff in post play.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It would be awesome if the next time Clutch bans someone here, that he talks like David Stern and says something to the effect of "I'm guessing we won't be hearing from Fatty FatBastard again any time soon." :eek:

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Clutch did that. :grin:

16. bloop

bloop Member

How about if instead of platitudes you address the issue?

SVG made some valid points and instead of addressing them Stern threatened reprisals.

You understand that basically Stern said that he's going to take out SVG's statements on the Orlando FRANCHISE right? You can guess what it means.

...if you guessed the Magic get no calls in the playoffs you guessed what 99% of NBA observers took that to mean.

Yeah because arrogance and recalcitrance is exactly what you want in a commissioner when dealing with coaches and owners trying to bring up legitimate points about the administration of the league... as for wit Stern sounded less funny and more like he was plotting in his office to send out a couple of ex mossad agents on SVG to shut him up

1 person likes this.
  17. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

LOOOl. goodone totaly agree.

18. J-Man

J-Man Member

He could've added anything else but he chose "it made me sad".....

19. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Agreed. It's the same **** with almost all commissioners across the board. They're all about being dictators and not listening to anyone.