1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your History as a Rocket Fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freddyg956, Mar 10, 2011.

1. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I'll play too.

Fan since: early 80s

First Rocket Jersey: none (but have a Scola Visa jersey)

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: winning the first championship

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: (by decades) 80s = Robert Reid, 90s = Mario Ellie, 00s = Yoa, present = Scola/Hayes

First live Rockets game: Don't remember much but do recall making this statement from the nose bleed section looking down on the court of the Summit (Hou v. Sea) , "I'll never get drunk before the game again" (after half time I couldn't focus on anything) :(

2. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

[QUOTE
    Became a Rocket fan How: when I was in high school and middle school my dad used to get suite tickets occasionally from his work. I went about 5 times just because it was fun and the food! I had been a "Spurs fan" for a year (the boy I liked was one) and then a "Suns fan" for 2 (Nash MVP years). I didn't follow either team too closely thought. Then I went to the Rockets game 7 of the 2007 playoffs in a suite and fell in love with the atmosphere. What really made me become a fan was a conversation my dad was having with me during the game. He was trying to have a good discussion about the Rockets, I was clueless, and then he said, "You don't know much about the Rockets, do you?" I then made it my goal to at least be knowledgeable of the Rockets, beginning with preseason in 07, and then I just fell in love with the team and became obsessed. I was a rookie fan with the rookie class of Landry, Scola, and Brooks, which is why those guys will always hold a special place in my heart. :)
    [/QUOTE]

cool story, and I hope you hate Nash and the Spurs now though!!
    When Yao came back from the Tunnel to give it another go was incredible, I remember watching it on TV, and just having a big smile on my face.

3. RocketsFan09

RocketsFan09 Member

Fan since: 2003

Became a rockets fan: After moving to the states in 99, I started watching basketball and then moved to houston in the T-mac yao era and I got into the game then.

First rocket jersey: Luis Scola Ketchup and Mustard

Most memorable rocket moment: 13 in 33 (im not a TOF'er by the way, i just witnessed that moment in person and I will never forget it.)

Favorite rocket player: Luis Scola

First Live rockets game: 13 in 33

1 person likes this.
  4. kellume

kellume Member

Fan since: 1976

Became a Rocket fan How: Just born this way...

First Rocket Jersey: None

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Champagne after beating the Knicks...
    Ralph Sampson's shot against LA, laying on my floor in my room listening to the Rocket's on the radio with Gene Peterson, winning 2 coin flips,

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: two many...Rick Barry, Clyde, Rudy T, Mad Max

First live Rockets game: Ok, longtime ago...Played youth basketball at YMCA and ran on the court at halftime. Rockets vs. Seattle Supersonics maybe 1977 @the Summitt...

5. cerjr2

cerjr2 Member

Fan since: 1987, I was 5 yrs. Old. Lakers (Worthy was a Beast) vs Rockets

Became a Rocket fan How: Was told that was the home team as a Kid and that was the my first organized youth basketball team I played on.

First Rocket Jersey: Mad Max in 93 (Still got that bad boy)

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: hmmmm..... Maxwell locking up Jordan, Maxwell going into the stands in Portland. Rockets never being able to beat the Sonics (I think I cried. Props to Kemp & Payton though. I loved watching them play)

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player:
    Mad Max, Horry & Thorpe (huge reason Houston got their first ring)

First live Rockets game: Cant remember the year, but I do remember it was Chris Mullin, Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond & the GS Warriors. (Final score was 147-140 or something like that. Warriors won, but what a game!)

6. Gucci_Ochocinco

Fan since: As long as I can remember

Became a Rocket fan How: My dad was a Rockets fan, and since we lived in Houston and basketball was my favourite sport, it was only natural.

First Rocket Jersey: Hakeem and then Barkley

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: 13 points in 35 seconds

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Easily Kelvin Cato

First live Rockets game: Not sure, I remember attending a game in second grade against the Mavericks where Hakeem hit a game winning tip-in with under a second left from an inbounds, but I'm not sure if that was my first or not.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Fan since: 1992

Became a Rocket fan How: Just began watching on TV at a young age. I remember thinking how funny the name "Sleepy" Floyd was. I also remember distinctly going into the 1993 season when they would display the starting lineups and Hakeem's pic always had "10th season" under it. I don't know why that stuck out in my mind but it did, and I thought it was cool.

First Rocket Jersey: Hakeem red

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: If we're talking about in person, it was a playoff game against the Lakers in '04 (game 4 I think). Only playoff game I've been to, and it was rowdy. This was the game that Boki pwned Karl Malone on the layup.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Elie and Horry

First live Rockets game: 1992/1993 against the T-wolves. Sometime shortly before Don Cheney was fired.

8. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

Fan since: Stone Age

Became a Rocket fan How: Hakeem drafted.

First Rocket Jersey: Not a Jersey guy.

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Hakeem getting a fingernail on Stars three pointer in game 6?

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Mario

First live Rockets game: CNS

9. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Fan since: 1994

Became a Rocket fan How: Born and raised in Houston. Who else would I cheer for? I also played basketball at young age and grew to like the sport more and more.

First Rocket Jersey: Yao Ming (white/dildo)

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Preseason game vs Sacramento, we snuck down to the lower level. After the game ended, the players were heading to the locker room and Tmac threw his arm band into the stands and my friend caught it!! Dikembe threw his too, and I ALMOST caught it until some damn guy reached out and snatched it away from me. :(

Favorite Rocket player: Yao Ming. It used to be Sam Cassell until he flat out denied me of a picture when I saw him at Yard House a couple months ago. That *******.

First live Rockets game: I don't remember my first rockets game but I do remember going to the Compaq center for the championship celebration. After it was over, I remember everyone exiting the building, and we all had this harmonious chant going on, "HOUSTON!"..."ROCKETS!" clap, clap..clap clap clap!

10. Rockets_4_life

Fan since: 2002

Became a Rocket fan How: It was mostly due to Yao. They're was a tone of hype going on(in my elementary school), and I wanted to see what it was about. But since then I fell in love with the game of basketball.

First Rocket Jersey: I bought three at the same time, my 1st time, when I was 13. They were Yao Ming, Steve Francis and McGrady in the retro championship jersey's

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Man, the 22 winning streak was nice. But the most memorable moment for me has to be when Yao came back out of the tunnel, and we shock the world by beating the Lakers in game 1 of the 2009 2nd round playoffs series. Also the 13 points in 33 seconds by McGrady was spectacular, just getting to watch it live was a privilege!

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Yao Ming, Steve Francis, Tracy McGrady.

First live Rockets game: It was in late 90's I think, it was Charles Barkley's last game. But truth be told I don't remember much from that game.

11. bro2044

bro2044 Member

ouch. that memorable moment made me feel depressed

12. dafranchise0309

Fan since: 1994..believe I was 3

Became a Rocket fan How: I remember watching the Rockets playoff games in the living room with my Dad who was and still is one of the biggest Hakeem fans. Especially since my dad is from Nigeria he insits Hakeem is the greatest player to ever play lol.

First Rocket Jersey: Steve Francis jersey with the blue old school rockets logo

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: So many but one of my favorites has to be being able to watch the rockets advance in the playoffs in 09 as a red rowdy...unforgettable experience

Favorite Rocket players: Hakeem, Steve Francis, Tmac

First live Rockets game: It was around 1998 or 1999 vs the Pacers @ Compaq center. We lost bad but it was still to actually visit the area and watch them play for my first time.

13. dafranchise0309

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Fan since: The battle against the Celtics in the Finals and Larry Bird

Became a Rocket fan How: Evolved into fan from playing basketball, watching it. Jordan, Hakeem, Malone, Bird, Magic years in their primes made me a fan of the NBA. Shaq, Kobe, Garnett, Iverson, Ray Allen, Wade, Lebron, Carmelo. Watched all of their careers grow from rookie till now.

First Rocket Jersey: Hakeem Olajuwon

Most Memorable Rocket Moment:The first championship win. Everyone celebrating together in my family. Watching Hakeem observe the win quietly and to himself for a moment.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Sam Cassel

First live Rockets game: It was too far back to remember when i was a child. The actual date was sometime around 25 years ago.

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

From: Well, I was born in Shermon TX, moved to Lubbock when I was a baby, moved to a small east TX town called Hull when I was 4, almost a year later my dad moved my family back to his home of Lake Jackson, lived in that area till I was 9, moved to Wichita Falls TX, lived there till the summer of 2009 and moved to Northwest Arkansas about a year and a half ago. I consider Wichita Falls to my home but Im south Texas bread lol

Age: 18, I'm probably one of the more obsessive teenagers when it comes to sports, lol

Been a fan since: Well.... I guess about 9 months before I was born.

How I became a dihard fan: Grew up watching games with my dad. I was a huge MJ fan when I was little, but always loved the Rockets even though I was so small lol

First Jersey: My mom got me a cheap Barkley Jersey for my 6th birthday, that's the only one I've ever had

Favorite Rocket: Tie between Hakeem and Tracy (yep I said it) tmac and Francis were my favorite players before we got tmac. I was so pumped when we got him!! I also love Barkley, Yao, Mobley, Ellie, Kenny Smith, Landry, Scola, Martin, Lowry, Chuck, Von, Battier, and Brooks before this year. Lol

First and only Game: 2006 season against the Cippers, we wooped em pretty bad. I still remember tmacs sick fade away! we were wearing the through backs and it was Clyde Drexler day and they gave out free #22 t shirts, got to high five Dekes massive hand lol also high five'd Jon Berry.

Most Memerable moment: 22 game win streak, j had just got league pass for Christmas so I got to see every game, Tracy was crazy during that steak!

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

From: Anderson, Indiana. Where basketball is not just a game, but a way of life.

Rockets Fan Since: 81

Became a Rockets Fan How: I was a huge Moses Malone fan as a kid, moved to Houston in 81, so it was only natural.

First Rockets Jersey: Moses Malone

Fav Rockets Memory: First title, watching Hakeem sitting on the scorers table exhausted, seemingly getting rid of a black cloud over the entire city. As a fan years of frustration taken away from the best player on the planet. It literally brought me to tears.

Fav Rockets player not named Hakeem: I really don't think I could name one. I've liked so many players for so many different reasons. Players have come and gone, always felt like I've been on that ride with them.

First live Rockets game: May 16, 1986 Western Conference Finals game 3 win over the Lakers.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

From: Quezon City, Philippines but moved here when I was like 7 months, lifelong Houstonian since

Rockets Fan Since: 90

Became a Rockets Fan How: It was natural to me, my parents followed basketball, so I just rooted for the home team and thought every other team was evil

First Rockets Jersey: Olajuwon Road Champion jersey, my mom bought me one at Sam's Club

Fav Rockets Memory: Probably can write a novel:

When Hakeem came back from the eye injury, I wanted to go the first game back so badly, my dad got us tickets to the game and I still remember that day like it was yesterday. They even had a giveaway of foam goggles that I cherished for the longest

The obvious, the back 2 back years, went to the parade in '94, was in the Philippines for vacation during the 2nd one and watching the Finals on 30 min delay :(.

Was at Bush for Yao's arrival. Was at Hakeem's only game in a visitor's uniform (it still never happened in my mind), Hakeem's jersey retirement, season ticket road trip to Miami in '06 where we spanked the Heat in THEIR building on ESPN. Game 1 of the '07 Playoffs where I had 112 of my closest friends taking over a section 429? and having the time of our lives for a playoff game, to Game 6 vs. Portland in '09, and the improbable 2 wins vs. the Lakers in 2nd round

Fav Rockets player not named Hakeem: I always liked the sharpshooters of the team, everybody from Maxwell, Tracy Moore, Eddie Johnson, Bullard, Rice, Novak, and now Budinger,

First live Rockets game: [Jan 3, 1991] I was fortunate to see Jordan live along with being my first Rockets game. My dad got us nosebleeds, and since it was a blowout, we moved down for the final 3 mins of the game in the lower section, it was an incredible experience for a 9 year old to witness.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199101030HOU.html

18. TheresTheDagger

Fan since: 1988

Became a Rocket fan How: Watching Akeem and the Rockets playing our nemesis the Sonics in the playoffs in late 80's and started following them. When I moved to Houston in 1991, went to see them play the Lakers (one of Magic's last games) at the Summit. Been a fan ever since.

First Rocket Jersey: Yao

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: The Kiss of Death.....no question.

Other memorable moments...I was actually AT the Mothers Day Game (any true Rocket fan knows which game this is) AND I was at game 2 of the 1994 Finals. Both losses...ugh...but memorable.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: 3 way tie between Super Mario, Yao, and Mad Max.

First live Rockets game: See above...

19. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Life Long Fan

Fan since: San Diego Rockets Moved to Houston

Became a Rocket fan How: Automatic when they moved to Houston.

First Rocket Jersey: Don't wear Jerseys but if I had to have one it would be hard to decide

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Sam Cassel's Top of the Key Basket as a Rookie against the Knicks to help send us on our way to a championship..

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket players: Mitchell Wiggins & Black Magic Louis Lloyd.. Most under rated back court ever. Mike Newlin was one of the best pure shooters ever.

First live Rockets game: Can't Remember..

20. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Fan since: I want to say around 94-95

Became a Rocket fan How: Can blame Pops for this one. He took me to loads of games when I was young and got me started young. I still remember glimpses of watching that championship series. Of course we still have the home video's as well.

First Rocket Jersey: Hakeem the Dream

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Game 2 of 2005 Playoffs, T-Mac for the win.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Through all the drama and fallout, T-mac was still a joy to watch when he was in his prime.

First live Rockets game: Some game in 94, can't really remember the details. We tried to go to as many games as we could every year; pops really did his best.