1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry becoming a star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Treeza, Mar 8, 2011.

1. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

for lowry to become billups, several things have to happen

1, lead the team into the playoffs, i mean, deep into it
    2, get a better feel for the game, when to take the important shot and when to get others involved
    3, find a way to impact the game more, either regain his knack for drawing fouls, improve his shot more or up his assist number to 10, either of it...

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle Lowry has a larger impact on the game than many "stars", because he still does the small things that a "roleplayer" is supposed to do. He is straight out of the 80's. He reminds me of one of those Mo Cheeks, Dennis Johnson tough guys of that period.

And now he is a cold blooded 3 point shooter.

Daryl Morey has struck again. 5 million a year for this stud is a robbery.

Where is DaDakota now? Where are the all the people that were bashing the folks that said Lowry SHOULD be the starter, even when Brooks was at his best?

Sweet, sweet silence.

2 people like this.
  3. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

Can't front KL7 is the goods right now. He def has become a better PG than Brooks.

4. zzpot

zzpot Member

hahaha Your funny!! I'm sure you mean well, but?? :confused: and I think you meant (Breathed upon). just a guess.

Hmmm... I'm wondering what other players in the NBA today can draw fouls the same way K-Mart does. Not more that 3 players in todays game can do it and K-Mart is the master at doing it for sure.

just my 2 cents

zzpot :cool:

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I won't buy that the improvement in Lowry's shot is real until I see him do it again next season.

And his court vision has always been massively overrated by many members of this forum. He's an average playmaker for a point guard, not a star-level one.

He is an excellent rebounder for a point guard, an above average defender, and is great at hustling and doing all the "little things". But that doesn't make him a star. And honestly I don't think he has star upside. I think he will get a little better as he gets older (although I expect some regression in his jump shot next season), but I think his ceiling is as an above average PG in the NBA. A good player, yes... a franchise player... no.

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

We are pretty set with Lowry and Dragic (adequate bench pg). Morey needs to try to move Miller, Hill and Williams in the off-season.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, I forgot what the right saying was, and just winged by saying breeze. But you get the point. :)

Martin and Dirk are probably by far the best at this. I think Dirk's even better because he's a 7 footer and his movement gets exaggerated even more than Martin.

IMO, it's based on two things. One is that Martin is a great shooter, not to mention a very quick shooter. This forces his defender is forced to play close to him. Also, he has deceptive quickness, so it's hard for his defender to keep him from driving while at the same time guard his shot. And his knack of putting the ball in the air when he's fouled is freaking psychic.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Lowry can be as good as Chris Paul and run into the wall that is his height. Neither Paul or Lowry had the quickness that Iverson had who IMO was the only 6ft and under pg that could have been the most complete point guard and then some in the history of the league. Don't get me wrong Lowry is strong but against the Derrick Rose and Deron Williams of this league he's going to struggle as they have the height, speed, and strength to counter.

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i remember when we first got lowry he was advertised as an above average mid-range shooter. he used to shoot a lot of those top of the key jumpers and make em regularly in his first year here.. then he stopped for some reason and started getting that reputation as a scrappy hustler type which made most of us fall in love with his game.. he ran the court facilitated and was a spark off the bench. now it seems like hes looking for his shot more; i guess now its ok on a team with no clear go-to guy but if we eventually add a all-star scorer type i hope he can go back to focusing on being a play maker. its weird watching brooks play against lowry, its almost as if they completely switched play styles in their new roles.. brooks was trying to facilitate and rarely looked for his shot while lowry was houstons main scorer..

as far as the brooks-lowry comparisons earlier it was soley based on offense, while kyles defense and ability to rebound make him a better fit for this team, brooks still has the edge when asked to close out a game or whenever we needed a big shot, he had that extra gear that lowry doesnt have yet when it came to that big moment shot... i'll never forget brooks' step back 3 in tony allens grill to tie boston..

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle is reminding me of Fat Lever w/ a J.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

why would he be upset about a current player on the team playing good? and to brooks's defense he did put number like that up throughout last yr, mostly after the martin trade when both were combining for 50-60 a night.

I don't know what the hell kyle has done, but i support him for the same reason i supported brooks as a rocket, and even more a the pg as he seems to have finally learned to knock down that shot (cross fingers and hope its not just temp). Everybody that supported brooks as a starter supported him for that reason (pre injury) he would knock down the 3 ball or kill with speed forcing the defense to collapse.

hes a better defender and passer, so if he can do the brooks impression + that theres no reason we shouldn't be happy.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We'll know that he's arrived when he demands a trade to the Knicks or Lakers.

1 person likes this.
  13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Lowry with the Lakers or the Knicks would be "dynomite".

14. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

hahaha

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Opposing team's announcers are giving Lowry the props. I heard it from POR and also PHO announcers: "Now you see why HOU traded away AB and kept Lowry as their starting PG."

Last Dec, David Thorpe in one of his chats (probably watching a lot of HOU games) picked Lowry as his PG in his first 5 (including Lebron and DWade). I'll look for that link again.

16. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

To be fair, one of the big reasons why they're playing right away is because we didn't have any other options, but it's definitely true that they fit in right now.

17. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

It's only a string of good games, every role/starting player on each team gets them during the season. He MAY be becoming a star, but to really see that we would have to wait until next season.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

A "string" of good games? How exactly are you defining "string"?

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Stats look great!! In last nights game where Lowry was indeed the star of the Rockets team I noticed several times our players were just standing around and letting Lowry play out his own game? Lowery did at times not look like the Point Guard who was making his team mates better!:p

20. OthellaMyFella

When did lowry become a beast long range shooter? Lol

I love that man and my friends outside of Houston thought it was dumb when I said lowry > brooks

I hope their now getting to realize I was right.