1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Credit repair and score

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Mar 5, 2011.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

Its time to start trying to repair my credit!! First i need to get a credit report. Does anybody know of a trustful site they have used before? i don't mind paying i just don't want no BS! Could anybody give me any advice as to the best way to go about paying off my debts? I don't even know what all i owe so i need to get that together. I don't owe thousands and thousands of dollars i just have unpaid and late payments.

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Go to the bureau's themselves, I got mine from equifax.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://www.annualcreditreport.com

That is the site where you can get your free credit reports for all 3 bureaus as required by federal law. They will also offer you the chance to buy your scores on that site once you sign up.

If you have unpaid and and late bills I would try to deal with the ones that are the latest first as the later a debt is paid, the bigger your credit will be hit. For those debts that are not as late, try to work out payment plans with the creditor so they are no late or unpaid and show in good standing and that you are paying something.

4. NateNate

NateNate Member

thanks, that makes sense

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Its a marathon- don't get discouraged. It will take a few years but it's something to be proud of when you're done.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

www.myfico.com to get your a free fico score with registration for 30 days. I would cancel immediately after you get your score so you don't have to pay; you can cancel online.

www.creditkarma.com gives you the score for TransUnion for free, forever. Pretty accurate if you just want to get an idea where you are without going through hoops with myfico.

7. NateNate

NateNate Member

is it best to get your score from all three bureau's?

8. NateNate

NateNate Member

Thanks!

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Yes, u should

10. NateNate

NateNate Member

has anyone used a third party credit repair service? how does it work and what do they do? Is it worth it or just a rip off?

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

anyone?

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I know people that have used them and while some may be beneficial, it is (in my opinion) better to take the money you spend with them and apply it towards your credit problems.

Certainly don't work with a 3rd party until you review your credit reports and start trying to resolve it yourself.

13. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

doesn't sound like your situation is dire enough to warrant using a service. i believe they do more harm than good.

just get organized, get current on your payments, and start attacking your debt with as much money as you can afford.

don't close accounts or start new accounts, as both can negatively affect your score.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I had a friend try this with disastrous results that forced him into bankruptcy.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Don't use a credit repair service. None of them are legit. They will ruin your credit and take all your money.

It's hard to give you any advice yet since you don't even know how much you owe.