1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry is only effective...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Dec 25, 2010.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Why doesn't he get to the line like he used to? Is he losing that strength as he shores up his weaknesses? I remember he used to be like a bowling ball.....

2. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Kyle the starter plays differently to Kyle the energy guy off the bench.

3. oakdogg

Man, those are cheap points. Get the other guy's big men in foul trouble. I love guys who attack the basket and can get to the line......

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The problem with Lowry is that he forgets that he is a Point Guard and often fails to pass the ball to open players begging for a pass. The Coach does not correct this problem! :p

5. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Well said, it also just seems like he's got a half step on everyone this year, beating his man, and the help defense, to the basket more times than not compared to the past couple seasons.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

:rolleyes:

Kyle is giving more responsibility to play more minutes, control the tempo and get everyone involved, but nah he should just keep playing like an energy guy for 35 minutes instead of 24, decreasing his efficiency along the way due to fatigue.

7. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

And I fail at typing :p

8. oakdogg

Dang, I just didn't know playing 36 minutes and getting to the foul line were mutually exclusive. Thanks for clueing me in. You might want to call the rest of the NBA, because a large % of them obviously don't know that as well.....

1 person likes this.
  9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

They are not, when Kyle was coming off the bench, his roles was to push the tempo and aggressively attack the basket, why not; he was only playing 24 minutes a game, however now that Kyle is given more responsibilities and an expanded role, he....

Oh god I give up...Just go stand in the corner.

10. oakdogg

No, I'll grant you that he's obviously playing really good basketball. Those numbers are real impressive. Your explanation for why it isn't as big of a part makes sense, but I really did like that facet of his game & thought it would be a shame if he lost it completely.

11. PASTORofMUPPETS

I love the way Lowry plays defense but he should never be our first option to score and lately that seems to be the case.

LAC - 19shots - 24points
    POR - 17shots - 21points
    NO - 14shots - 18 points

He needs to go back to being the distributor he was before the break.

12. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

But he is playing like a distributor, he always looks for others to get their shots first; plays break apart all the time, its not Lowry is calling for Iso's and dribbling into trouble and throwing up bad shots, most of Lowry's shots are good ones.

13. erimanila

erimanila Member

Kyle Lowry is a true Bench PG. Even though he does well, he still chokes in the clutch. He sucks at shooting...and well, I call him LOUSY LOWRY especially for that 3 point foul he made on MO Will that cost us the game. tsk tsk. I sure hope dragic learns how to run the offense FAST.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I know, there's no way a PG who can't shoot at all could ever start on a team. Right, Mr. Kidd?

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like lowry and he's had a good season, but he's a place holder. Thats not a negative, its just what it is. I mean is lowry better than ramon sessions? Everytime session hasthe chance to play good minutes, he puts up monster numbers and he's 24 also.

16. kapeci8

kapeci8 Member

Lowry is a BEST. The people who hate on him are Rubio Lovers

LOL Rubio is garbage

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We need someone to balance Martin's ridiculously low number of shots.;)
    Seriously, the Alston-Lowry trade is looking better by the day.

18. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Just like Rondo is a true Bench PG.

Come on... this guy was hardly given a chance to start in Memphis.. and this is his first season starting.... and you expect him to become perfect starter? Most important sign to me is that is he making most of the opportunity? I think, he is. He is getting better and better at shooting... he is controlling tempo better... he is assisting more recently than he did before. He is getting better and better - that's the most important thing when you are giving a bench play an opportunity to play.

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Wow, people are saying Lowry is the next Kidd, Nash, Rondo, and Billups. You guys seriously need to stop overvaluing the players on this team. It's obvious to any rational fan that he's never going to be as good as any of those guys. Rondo is the best defender and rebounder and facilitator at the pg position. He's taller, longer, and more athletic than Lowry will ever be. You guys that are saying that Lowry will be Rondo are comparing him to a guy who was one of the best, if not the best, performer in the playoffs the past couple of seasons. He almost averaged a triple-double two post-seasons ago and he would have been the Finals MVP had the Celtics won last year. Lowry to me is a nice regular season player who always plays hard and to the best of his ability. Once the post-season comes around, he won't be able to kick it into another gear, because he doesn't have one. Also, his flopping tendencies when he drives to the basket wont be called during the post-season. This is when he'll really get exposed. I also don't really trust the ball in his hands during crunch time. Coincidentally, this is where a guy like Brooks excelled due to the match-up problems he created for opposing teams. See the series the against the Blazers and Lakers for examples. A few more things, Sessions is playing just as well if not better than Lowry, and the Rockets could have had him for cheaper just like leebigez stated during the offseason. And just to reiterate what a terrible trade it was sending our lottery pick to Memphis for Battier, the Rockets should have made the Griz include their 1st round pick in the deal, which would have been Lowry. So they could have had him from the get go.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He isn't our first option and never has been and never will be. However, if you watched those games, you will remember that at least two to four of the shots he took were bailout, end of the shot clock and end of the quarter shots. Those shots artificially inflate his shot numbers and artificially lower his shooting percentages. But somebody's got to take them and now that him and Chuck are the undisputed leaders of the team, I look for him to keep taking a lot of those. And I'm okay with him taking them. We do not have a better option at this point. If we did, believe me, Kyle would be feeding him the basketball just like he's feeding everybody else.

By the way, in those last 3 games, he has had two 11 assist games to go along with one low assist game.

What is happening is Kyle is getting more minutes and a few more of Aaron's and Shane's shots. And I'm okay with that too. Kyle is a more efficient scorer than either one of those guys. So, as long as him and Courtney and Chase keep shooting at the levels they are shooting at, it's okay if they all get more shots now that Aaron and Shane are gone.

1 person likes this.