1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astrodome dimensions when Bagwell played.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Cohete Rojo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I was looking for the Astrodome field dimensions when Bagwell played. I found one site saying the dimensions were originally 340 ft. down the left and right foul line and 400 ft. to center. However, it states in the fall of 1989 the outfield grand stands were extended to increase stadium capacity, but the site does not list the new dimensions.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stadium/astrodome.shtml

Another site lists the dimensions through the Astrodome's history but does not have the changed dimensions for the 1990 season other than the backstop.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stadium/astrodome.shtml

Did the extension of the outfield grandstands have any affect on the outfield dimensions? Any of you guys remember what the dimensions were, have pictures or know of any sites that may have the information?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't believe CF changed during Bagwell's career...it was 400 the entire time, I believe.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I can't really speak for anything pre-1995 or so, but I always knew the Astrodome to be 325-375-400-375-325.

4. MadMax

when I think of Bagwell's career there, those are the dimensions that come to mind.

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

In the early 80's they moved the right and left fences in a few feet and extended the seats at that time. It was meant as a two-fold benefit.

1. it would increase the capacity of the crowd

2. It would increase the offensive output of the teams playing.

Unfortunately due to the lack of wind and other elements, the fences really did not increase the offense but it did increase the number of paying customers.

I believe the dimensions you are listing are the ones AFTER moving the fences in a few feet.

Also , if Bags had played his home games in any other stadium than the Dome, he would have surpassed 500 HR's easily.

Remember Glen Davis? He hit more HR's at home than he did on the road while playing for the Astros in the mid 80's. weird stat for sure

6. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

According to ballparks.com:

foul lines: 330 (1985-1991), 325 (1992), 330 (1993), 325 (1994-1999)
    power alleys: 378 (1985-1991), 375 (1992), 380 (1993), 375 (1994-1999)
    center: 400 (1985-1999)

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Good thread. Didn't they lower the center field wall at one point as well?

I remember going to games in the Dome as a kid and watching what looked like homeruns, just die at the warning track. Lot of line drive homers there from guys like Kevin Bass, but not too many of those towering shots. Probably one of the most memorable homers there was Eric Anthony's shot into the upper deck.

8. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Wow, I was there when Doug Radar hit the one that had the record long shot before Eric's shot. Of course I was barely 8 so I really only remember the scoreboard (god I loved that scoreboard) and the cheering when Radar hit it.

The Dome may not have been a perfect place for baseball but it will always hold a special place in my heart. Dome dogs and Dome foam while watching the boys of summer (in air-conditioned comfort), nothing is better for a summer day.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

bagwell hit 19 more homeruns in the dome than on the road

10. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

Don't forget that in the mid-1990s after Drayton bought the team that fence heights in the power alleys were changed a few times too. In 1993, the gaps between the wall in the 'power alleys' and stands were actually covered. A ball could bounce on top of the 'wall' and roll back to the outfielder playing the ball. The fences at the time were that awful bright blue color and the design was universally hated. Also, when the manual outfield scoreboards were added (I think in 1994 or '95) the ball had to travel over the scoreboard to be a homer. So while the distance was moved back to the previous 375 for the power alleys after 1993, you had to have more height and power on the ball to get it out of the yard. The remaining parts of the power alleys not covered by the scoreboard, and center field, had those plastic flowers put in the gap between the wall and the stands. The center field cannon with General Admission (talk about a bad pun) were in the stands and didn't encroach on the playing field.

The height of the wall in center field never changed in the 1990's from the 'standard' 10 feet.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

That's about right as i remember them.

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

13. MadMax

yeah, he seemed so comfortable there. i was at a game where he hit 3 HR's...2 in the same inning!!! That was 1994, I believe.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

43 in 137 games.. or something close to that. i'd have to imagine that would be the year!

edit: way off on # of games! 39 in 110. Somehow I had 43 stuck in my head..

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Can't wait to see the score Board this year.