1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Current Rockets with All-star potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. skattles08

skattles08 Member

This is just about players with the POTENTIAL to be all-stars and PP has that. Odds are he won't make it to that level but the potential is there.

Also Bud, Lee, and possibly Dragic

2. anchel

anchel Member

The question is, when he says "we think...", is Adelman included?

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

zero, none

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Martin and Scola are who they are, even if they make one AllStar game in the future, they are not enough to snag a superstar (granted, Scola's contract is structured in a way that it's going to be hard to deal him in the near future).

It's among the younger guys, and I think Twill has the chance if given the PT. The rest of our guys are just nice role players.

5. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I think we look too much at the guys we haven't seen much from. I love Patterson as a player, but you guys really seem him as all star potential? I see him as a very very servicable role player who will have a long career, but see no glimpse of stardom from watching him. T Will I can understand cause of the intangibles, but he still really could benefit from an attitude adjustment. Other than that we have very good players that WOULD be all stars if we had the nation of China backing em up the way they did in the Steve Francis days of the Yao era (such as Martin and Scola).

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

If we had players with all-star potential, we could have traded 'em for something. We didn't, so... draw your own conclusions?

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

this is the biggest issue DM has as a gm. a potential superstar can't be evaluated by # in his earlier career. it's all judgment and subjective. that puts him out of comfort zone.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can you give an example of a player who became a superstar, and the potential didn't show up in the #s early on?

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I think McGrady and Kobe are prime examples, but then again those guys were 18 when they came in the league.

All the superstars I can think of who didn't have great stats early on were extremely young, but at least had playing time.

Our youngest player is PPat, and he is 21. If he doesn't explode anytime soon, he probably wouldn't account to anything more than a very good power forward. Good thing is PPat has shown a lot of potential.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

When did he talk to him?

I thought it was weird that RA kept Bud in the game against cleveland....it was also weird that bud kept at it until the end and didnt disappear...i think he knew there was a good chance he'd be the starter soon. The way he was attacking the rim and his play in general was different. I dont thinkit was as simple as cleveland not having a shot blocker, which is what he said after the game.

As for all-stars...i think it's important to realize that some players are clearly all-stars level talents, but won't get the nod due to bad fan voting or depth at a certain position. If guys like Miller and Magloire, i believe, can make an all-tar game, then i think Martin and scola are definitely allstar talents already, just not officially.

Yao obviously has been one and could return if healthy.

Miller won't be at this point.

Lowry and chuck are what they are and will stay there.

Lee will never be one if he can't learn actual offensive moves. Right now he's purely a spot up shooter that can occasionally take a dribble and go to the rim or open spot. I know Martin is similar, but he doesn't have Martin's shooting efficiency or ability to draw fouls, which is the difference between scoring 20+ or 10-15 a game. I dont think he'll ever get there.

Budinger, hill, dragic still have the time and basic skills to become all-stars, but have A LOT of work and improvement to do, so it's not very likely.

Thabeet is unique and plays a position with less quality depth around the league, which should make it easier for him to crack an all-star roster compared to the previous 3...but he too has a lot of work to do. Depending on the quality of the center position in the future though, he could sneak in with 12-10-3 averages.

Twill has the most potential to be one, the highest ceiling, the most talent and versatilty of the previous 4, but the guy does not have an open mind right now. He has to be broken down mentally and he has to be very receptive to help and advice for him to become an all-star.

So only Lee, Bud, hill, dragic, thabeet, and twill have the potential to get there, but realistically i'd go with thabeet and twill.

11. nathan8

nathan8 Member

You know what? As disappointed and let down I feel about this dealine, I am moving more and more content to labeling martin as if we have to our "best player/franchise player". Not putting him in the Durant,melo,lebron and dwade category but for a team like us what martin brings is deserving of that honour. He's an offeinsive jet and presonally a top 10 scorer in the league, period. Deliver us a playoff birth kmart, you have the potential hands down :)

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I forgot about PP ^^....i think he's in the same category as thabeet and twill, but i can't see him ever having big scoring numbers. To become an all-star he'll have to be a 17/12/2 guy. Some quality at Pf in the west though (cousins, griffin, love), so it'll be hard for him as well.

13. Franchize

Franchize Member

The Rockets are all ROLE PLAYERS. WE SUCK

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't know if you count him as a superstar, but Jermaine O'Neal was a guy who showed absolutely zero for his first 4 years.

15. Alief

Alief Member

TWill for sure, even in the press conference he brought him up when talking about someone like Thabeet who has potential but just started out in a bad situation. I mentioned this elsewhere but I think part of why he felt comfortable getting rid of Battier is in the hopes of TWill getting more minutes.

16. val_modus

val_modus Member

Terrence Williams, the kid has all the tools, we just need time to see how his game pans out on the floor.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

But you have to take into account the fact that he was 3-4 years younger than most other players. He was only 18 then when everyone else was a lot older.

18. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

There's not many, but here are some you could argue.

Gerald Wallace - useless his first 4 years in the league. Exploded in year 5.

Ben Wallace - very little production his first 4 years in the league. Exploded in year 5.

Chauncey Billups - big increase in production in years 5 and 6, after looking like a bust early.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

can you let me answer?

anyway, majority of superstars are already recognized at the beginning. it's very tough to find a potential who is not recognized by anyone else but eventually turns out a great player. I guess durvasa misunderstood what i tried to explain. what i mean potential is that # can't tell you but you have to use your gut feeling to guess. this is called potential. if # already indicates a player is great, it's hard to call him a potential since the whole world knows him. w/o #, DM becomes a average gm.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What is "gut feeling" based on? What sort of qualities do you think other, more skilled GMs can pick up on?