1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What did you guys want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Feb 24, 2011.

1. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I keep reading consistent b*tching about Morey not doing this not doing that.

Guys we don't have potential players, or picks, what exactly were you expecting?

I read for weeks: If Morey doesn't do something and pick a direction I'm going to be pissed, from SO MANY PEOPLE (I'll admit to being one of them), but I actually see a direction now.

Going for it building a possible title contender this year:

Well from what I've read he went for G Wallace/Camby, which would be a win now mode, but they didn't trade them, for obviously reason:

1) Portland is not going to help someone else get into playoffs who is right on them.

2) G Wallace has no reason to be here w/out Camby, because him alone isn't going to help the Rockets do anything except POSSIBLY sneak into playoffs. + I think Portland overpaid for him, but that's another discussion all together.

People wanted Kendrick Perkins:

HEY GUESS WHAT, JEFF GREEN IS BETTER THAN WHAT WE COULD'VE OFFERED. We have no high potential/solid players right now, that is a fact, our best players like Scola/Martin are just that solid, I think Boston is r****ded for giving up Perkins at all, but my guess is they think Shaq can hold off for 1 year, and Green would make a great 6th man.

People wanted a Superstar:

A superstar didn't want to come here, in this era, they pick where they want to go. Lebron, Wade, Melo, Bosh (not really a superstar, but you know). None of these guys wanted to come to Houston.

- Amare. This one was probably a mistake, but to gamble on a guy who wasn't taking a physical seems iffy to me, and no idea if he would've signed an extension.

- D Williams. Jazz got a buttload of assets, Rockets didn't have the ability to match that, so no point of worrying about this one.

So we decided to build for the future:

This seems like a reasonable idea to me. I LOVE Battier, but getting a high potential big man + a pick seems like a reasonable haul for him. Thabeet very well may be worse than Kwame Brown, but on the off chance we can get Hakeem and/or Deke to help him out, the hope for him to be good is there. If he can become 60-75% of what Hakeem was, or even just able to do on defense what Deke was able to do, this team will have an anchor on D to help out. This will allow the Rockets to get more 1 way offensive players, and not have to suffer mightily on defense like they do now. Fact is you can't teach size, and there aren't a lot of big men in the league as is, if you can get one with potential cheap, seems like a good idea.

The Brooks trade was I believe simply because we weren't going to resign Brooks. It sucks that we had to sell low on him, but NO ONE would've guessed he was going to drop off like this this year, and he was a great compliment to a healthy Yao (which didn't happen), so we were left with that burden. In return we got a backup PG, who is a pass first PG, which is nice, and another first rounder. Not a great haul, but whatever, Dragic last year proved he can perform under pressure, and maybe he can become something close to that for the Rockets.

These players and first rounders AREN'T GREAT, I know that, but Thabeet is high potential, and having 1st rounders can create trades where you can get better players, whether it be a trade like Nets pulled off for Dwill, or able to turn 3 1st rounders for a top 3-5 pick. That is only way to get a superstar besides tanking, which I know 1/2 the board is adamently against.

At least the Rockets seems to have decided to rebuild, and while it will suck to be a fan for possibly 2-4 years, it is better than being in limbo. Maybe they will shock us and be better soon. Everyone hates it, but at least Morey has assets, that IF a superstar decides they want to come to Houston, we will have no trouble it getting him here.

1 person likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wanted more.

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Such as?

Any possible trades you can see that wouldn't be NBA 2k11 style aka:
    Battier + Bud + Hill for Lebron.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We had to add a wing player and a back up big man.

Battier and Chuck Hayes/Scola

They don't take any young players from us
    Contenders just don't

5. TracyMcCrazyeye

I WANTED STEPHON MARBURY AND STEVE FRANCIS

6. RocketMania1991

Reminds me of when people were b****ing when we drafted Brooks. Now they all look like morons.

This was a good trade for us. Unfortunately half these idiots can't realize it.

7. Prince

Prince Member

I want to sex Motumbo.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M6hq_zeZGoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Portland got Wallace for expiring contracts and two conditional 1st round picks. I think we could have managed a deal like that. That's one I can think of. I can also think of reasons Morey might not have wanted to do that, but it is an example.

10. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

can't agree more

BTW, Are you Morey ? :grin:

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

but but i thought we had the best assets out of any team out there. remember that? what happened? our assets were supposedly good enough to get melo, bosh and we end up with this. i don't blame fans for wanting more after all that type about having the best trade chips.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I wanted Gortat. Both now and in 2009. Hell, ever since.

Fortunately, I can rest assured knowing Morey tried hard to get him (both now and when he was originally a FA).

But yeah, I agree with the general spirit of this thread.

13. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I want some A$$ !!! to be honest.

14. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Deron Williams.
    Carmelo Anthony.
    Kendrick Perkins.
    Gerald Wallace.

15. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

It isn't about assets though.

Our assets I believe are good enough to net a superstar, but a superstar didn't want to come here.

To add more good/solid players like Gerald Wallace, is just compounding the problem of not having a direction.

If we could add Wallace + Camby, then maybe we are contenders, and we had the assets to do that, but fact is Portland didn't want to do business with us, so my guess is we dropped out of the Wallace sweepstakes because of it.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Haven't been lucky lately? ;)

17. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Deron Williams. - Nets had way more than we could've offered
    Carmelo Anthony. - He didn't want to come here, he was going to NYK from day 1.
    Kendrick Perkins. - We didn't have Jeff Green
    Gerald Wallace. - No point in getting him without a NBA ready center, and Portland didn't want to give Camby.

I feel I went over all these in the OP.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I want out of mediocrity.

19. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Isn't that what these trades are doing? They are making the Rockets worse for now, and hopefully better for the future.

20. PeppermintCandy

I have no problem with either of the trades. I'm glad Morey kept his eye on the future and refused to make moves that would only result in short-term gain.

That said, I'm wondering if Morey really got the young big man he was aiming for. Did he really want Asik from Chicago but then have to settle for Thabeet?

If the Rockets are going to invest the next several seasons developing a young center, I'd want them to be sure they have the guy they really want, instead of someone they ended up as the "consolation prize."