1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On Hasheem Thabeet - from a grizz fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by what, Feb 24, 2011.

1. chief

chief Member

No Hakeem needs to work with this kid--

2. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I asked this in another thread but forgot which one... why was he taken so high? He had decent numbers in college, but clearly he was a major project -- I don't think he's even played 10 years of organized ball yet. To dump a #2 pick so quickly is strange or telling not sure which one.

4. Raven

Raven Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's 7'3", fur ball. If you were 7'3" and shaved, you would be a top pick!

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is because the Grizz are one of the stupidest franchises in the league. They dumped Thabeet because they had no need for him (already 2 good cs int he roster), they want to save money AND Battier is a fan favorite and a cash cow of sorts in Memphis (since people will go to games to see him play).

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Actually, Deke would probably be a better choice. Thabeet will never come close to be able to do the things Hakeem did. However, I think the Rockets are hoping he can could be something close to what Deke was.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

He grabbed 9.9 boards adjusted per 36 minutes last season. That's not bad at all. Problem is he never got any playing time... this season... 8 minutes per game with many DNP... that's a joke, how can he show a single thing?

9. Sanity2disChaos

He souldnt shoot a jump shot ever in a ROX uni.....straight dunks like D. Jordan....Im sure he will be told to focus on defense and wont be thought about twice on offense unless he is dunking the ball.....IT IS WRITTEN.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This year exactly. Of course his stats will look horrible with these kind of minutes.

11. KingCheetah

So many jokes...

12. lived

lived Member

Let's be honest, Thabeet's not going to be on any opposition's scouting report. The best we can hope for is for Miller to show him the ropes of Adelman's system and hopefully improve his ball handling/passing.

I'm not overly optimistic to be honest. Miller and Divac have/had good hands and were decent lane passers to the cutting guards. Thabeet seems like a thick tree sprouting up in the lane.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Let's get this straight... we didn't trade for him to be an offensive force. We already have a good offense. Our defense is what's sorely lacking. Thabeet's best trait is that he is a really good shotblocker with the potential to be a serious rim protector down the road.

A lot of people on this board seem pretty obsessed with offense, I'm not sure why when defense is clear what we're lacking.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

One problem I see. He also had 6.6 personal fouls per 36 minutes last season, and this season he is averaging 7.1. :grin:

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

What's Dikembe up to these days? Get him to coach this kid.

16. rocketsmetalspd

Thabeet can not be a better situation where bigs are what the franchise is known for. CD, Dream, Sikma, Deke all can help Thabeet improve on his game if he puts in the work. He does have the height and the shot blocking skills all he has to do is rebound the ball. I can't wait to see him play but RA is a tough nut just like his old coach in Memphis.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Clearly, he is still a project, and has a lot of refinement needed. But cutting down on fouls is something which DOES improve with experience. You can't teach height, and it's really hard to teach shotblocking, and he has both of those in spades.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope we will learn to appreciate.
    Still Memphis has done squat and with borderline franchise players and allstars in Gay, Randolph and Gasol
    They are still a first round sweep
    Not much better than us
    45 wins

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

All in good fun, my friend. At least I didn't do the one about your Brazilian. ;)

20. KingCheetah

If I was 7' 3" shaved, and the #2 pick i'd have like a brazilian dollars.

1 person likes this.