1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deron Williams traded to Nets for Favors, Harris, picks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 23, 2011.

1. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Sloan knew DWill was on his way out, and they were going young.

2. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

Great move by Utah. Sell high and get the most value for him now before next year and avoid the media circus (Melo). I'm sure they knew he wasn't going to stay despite what he's been saying publicly.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That is something people continue to forget. The amount of talent we lost with Yao and T-Mac is crippling to a franchise. I don't expect random idiot in the GARM to ever pay attention to this either. People are just gonna cry about how Morey is doing nothing blah blah blah. The bottom line is we are in a debilitated state after losing 2 superstar level players.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

this will probably end up being better than the Melo deal for New Jersey, Deron is the best PG in the game imo

but ****, I am disappointed that we couldnt get him or Melo, maybe Paul is still within our grasp

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

STEIN_LINE_HQ

RT @Lockedonsports: Deron Williams told me it was not his choice. He's stunned. Declined interview until he figures out what it all means

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

That's ok. If Lopes develops and they can get one more big name and a deent supporting cast, with Nets moving to NY I think Deron WILL STAY

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj: The Jazz will get the Nets 2011 first round pick and Golden State's 2012 pick that Nets own, league source says. GS pick 1-7 protected in 2012

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Great move for NJ, they forced Dolan-idiot to overpay for Anthony and then nabbed a player who is as good or better. Unless Deron somehow takes less $ to go across the river, in which case they look really dumb.

9. Mashing

Mashing Member

OH SNAP! This trade makes no sense if Deron did not approve it.

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

yay for brooklyn! great move.

11. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Ha-HA!

That's what you get when you force out a HOF coach of nearly 30 years.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I LOLed. I think we'll make the playoffs.

13. moali85

moali85 Member

As much as I hate the Jazz I can honestly say I am happy for them. This is a great trade...you get rid of a malcontent who was already looking forward to signing with the Knicks in the midst a season in which your team in in playoff contention.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Wow, that's two lottery balls if Utah misses the playoffs.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

I can't believe people are complaining about Morey not getting Williams. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

This trade will come back to bite NJ in the butt.

1 person likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

1. So when should we have traded T-Mac and Yao? in 2008? Could we have even traded Yao? Do you really think Les was just going to let his cash cow go?

2. I have no problem with tanking. However, I don't think Les wanted to tank just yet with Yao trying to give it one last go. Also, what level of young prospect do you think a Martin or Scola can really net us? IMO it would have taken Martin, Scola, and Brooks to get Favors, Harris, Filler, and picks. I have no problem with wiping the slate clean, but how do you feel about a deal similar to that?

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As much as the balance of power is "shifting", I don't think it ultimately matters that much regarding the end-game...the championship. The East actually had more teams as NBA champions over the last decade than the West. As dominant as the West was, it was still only ultimately dominant with 2 teams...the Lakers and Spurs.

I'm not sure people realize, but since the Bulls won their last championship in in 97-98, the Western Conference champion has been either the Lakers or Spurs every single year except one (the Mavs) - that's 11 of 12 years. The point? I don't know, I guess just that the whole concept of conference power is somewhat meaningless. I guess it should get harder to make the playoffs in the East going forward and easier in the West...but if the goal is championship, doesn't matter that much.

----------------

This trade is definitely out of the blue. I don't think you can blame Morey for the Yao/T-Mac situation. They aren't at all comparable to Melo or Williams. You certainly can't blame him for not getting involved in this deal. We just don't have the pieces.

But he should be taking some heat...because he does talk up our "assets" all the time, as if we have enough to group together to land a star type player. Increasingly, it is seeming as if that isn't true. Our young assets have very limited upside, and we don't have the horde of draft picks other teams have.

18. AXG

AXG Member

If that's what the Rockets get, I'd rather stand pat unless we can move dead weight like Miller or Yao.

19. eeeZZY

eeeZZY Member

better chance for Rockets to make playoffs ;)

20. plates300

plates300 Member

definitely not a bad plan B for Jersey.