1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Three things about Islam you may not know

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 14, 2011.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

You should have made your post about Christianity, that way the kneejerk response would've been from the conservatives instead of the liberals.

Everybody has their golden calf to protect it seems.

Fairness for the sake of fairness is dumb, and should never trump reason (hey, leave Muslims alone! Christians are just as bad! Pick on Scientology instead!). Many people refuse to acknowledge the truth about the religions of the world (many do so because they refuse to believe that such heinous stuff exists, imo), or in the case of guys like MadMax and Mathloom, they espouse their own personal interpretation as the truth instead of the dogmatic law. A convenient cherry-picking strategy and one that has been employed since the dawn of all religions.

Unsurprising thread result is unsurprising.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thank you for the information. The OP youtube has been shown to be false.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's fine to pick on Christianity or Islam or any other religion. It isn't OK to pick on it with things that just aren't true.

I understand you are anti-religion, but wouldn't you rather discuss those reasons based on the truth about the religion rather than someone making up falsehoods about it to discredit it?

5. Dei

Dei Member

Let China take care of them. They're doing a good job on Uighurs.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just like an atheist, a Christian, agnostic, Jew, Buddhist, etc, his main intent is to promote values and policies which he feels are for the good of the country. Surely, a Muslim would be dissapointed to see opposing policies/values win an election, as would an atheist, a Christian, a Jew, etc.

Lying is forbidden, what do you mean "no matter what he says to the contrary"?

If he/she wins, they have to follow through on the promises they made which got them elected, just like anyone else. If they are elected, then they are not imposing anything. That means their ideas have actually been selected for them to promote in government.

So if someone gets elected for having multicultural views, then they go ahead with that. They are not IMPOSING multiculturalism. They suggested it as a policy, and they were asked to enact it through a democratic process.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you seem to be hinting that there is some form of deception which might come into play. IMO that's a sign of your lack of faith in democracy. People have to get elected, they can get booted, there should be proper systems, controls, checks and balances. There is a constitution, a legislature, an executive and judiciary which should have sufficient independence. The whole point of these organs of government is to render personal opinion of the president unnecessary and inconsequential.

Now if you're saying that theoretically someone can use deception to influence the weaknesses in particular governments, then you are absolutely right. I'm just not sure what that has to do with Islam or this thread. It's something that has happened with tremendous frequency in almost every country in our history, regardless of which ideology in question. Individuals make decisions for themselves and pick their own values, and our recourse for that is not irrational fears about a psycho coming into power. Our recourse is to strengthen the organs of government to make sure candidates for leadership roles represent the will of the people, have the least amount of discretion possible, and are highly monitored/accountable for any discretionary decisions.

7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The unfortunate reality is that attempting to inject reason and evidence into an argument like this is undoubtedly futile. Commodore, tallanvor, ATW, basso, etc. dont give a damn about views that dont substantiate their predispositions.

The banality of their Islam alarmism is really getting rediculous. I feel like it would save everyone time to start a sticky thread, 'the official I hate Islam thread' and let them post away.

8. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I think Commodore is jealous of ATW's infamy and the subsequent green e-peen bars he's received from the anti-Islam/hate posts. Commodore is trying to top him.

Donny cherry-picks his criticism of cherry-picking.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

My posts exude love, not hate. Just as Islam is the religion of peace, not of terror and hate.

And most of my rep is not from the posts about Islam, if that makes you feel better ;).

10. ThaRed

ThaRed Member

Have all these Islamophobics even met a Muslim in real life, let alone actually read the Quran?

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Have you read the Bible and the Communist Manifesto, as well as all the teachings of Confucius?

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is he running around freaking out over some supposed conspiracy among followers of Jesus, Marx or Confucius trying to take over the world?

1 person likes this.
  13. PointForward

PointForward Member

Thank you Mr. Mathloom for saving me 20 minutes worth of typing to embarrass this clown/troll. I got tests to study for!

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its exactly the same for Christianity. Its every person's job to spread the faith and its God before country.

15. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I've read all three including texts of other faiths like the Torah, Guru Granth Sahib, Book of Aqdas+Iqan, Gita, and more.

While it's true many people follow their religion simply because they were born into it, there are some like me who choose as adults what religion to follow after closely studying the various world faiths, comparing them to what we've studied of the natural sciences and liberal arts, and finding any merits within each.

I've said several times that Islam emphasizes that it shares ideas with past religions. Whether it be Confucianism's views on obedience, Zoroastrianism's struggle between the light and dark, or love and forgiveness within Christianity, there is a 'common theme' when making a kind of Venn diagram between all the faiths.

God is judge and jury, omniscient, and unhumanly perfect in qualities like mercy. Whether you become an atheist because your parents made the Westboro Baptist Church seem progressive or seeing news of people willing to kill those depicting images of a man who died long ago (despite the fact he endured far worse when he was alive, yet he still forgave people and didn't think he should be put on a pedestal) made you question organized religion, that is fine.

But you cannot hide behind ignorance and prejudice. If you believe something, don't be lazy and just watch a YouTube video. Even worse, don't spread misinformation when you know in your heart you haven't done your research the right way.

That's one of the reasons I'm typing this because Islam makes a big deal on the power of chaos theory, and the consequences of actions or inaction. I don't know if a lurker saw only the OP's video and believed everything he said while never reading the posts that followed it. That lurker might go into the real world and spread the misinformation. Certain politicians may be elected into office because of this.. I don't know what will happen.

That the OP hasn't even addressed any of the points that Mathloom posted speaks volumes on his desire for a sincere discussion. I only hope he reflects on this and understands promoting chain-mail drivel is harmful.

3 people like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Did followers of Jesus, Marx or Confucius bomb the twin towers? Out of the following list, please name those which were committed by followers of Jesus, Marx or Confucius. I guess you could count the ones in Angola for the Jesus group, but not really...

Thanks in advance.

#36 AroundTheWorld, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

But most Christians (not the fundamentalist ones, I guess) have come to accept the separation of church and state. Christianity nowadays, at least in its mainstream forms, to my knowledge does not demand to be the supreme law of the land, a religion and a principle of government at the same time. They want their values to be implemented, but there is no such thing as Sharia law in Christianity nowadays, is there? (I am not talking about the fringe...I am fully aware there are crazy Christians, just as there are crazy ... you name it).

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Are you saying the followers of no other religion/ideology has committed terrorism/atrocities?

Off the top of my head, there's the Crusade, the Inquisition, the Witch Hunts, the KKK, the abortion clinic bombings, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and all dynastic and tribal repressions during the long history of pre-modern China.

There's even a wikipedia article on Christian terrorism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

Yes, nowadays there are more Islamists running around blowing up stuff, but I still have a much better chance of dying of getting hit in a random car accident or becoming the victim of ordinary crime. I don't see why I should be particularly concerned about Islamist terror compared to other risks in life.

I also don't see what freaking out over some supposed grand Muslim conspiracy would do to improve our chances of surviving Islamist terror.

Islam, like all traditional religions/ideologies, has illiberal aspects. It doesn't all 1.5 billion self-declared Muslims are some sort of Facists/terrorists. If your goal is to catch terrorists, it would seem more useful to go after the rather small % of them actually engaged in terrorism rathter wasting your time freaking out about than some sort of big conspiracy theory about all Muslims.

#39 Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No.

No disagreement there.

It's not just the terror, it's the combination of that with the other in my opinion threatening aspects of the ideology (oppression of women and gays, intolerance toward other religions, etc. etc.).

Of course not, but nobody ever said or thought that.

Nobody said there is some big conspiracy by all Muslims. Nobody.