1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WTB] Acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Hot Deals and Classifieds' started by finalsbound, Jan 11, 2011.

1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I'm looking for an inexpensive starter guitar. Really, nothing fancy. I'm thinking about buying one of those ~100$ guitar "kits" off Amazon, but some friends advised to scope out Craigslist first. Just wanted to check on here and see if anyone has a decent starter guitar (or even just a brand name) they can vouch for.

Not looking to spend over $120. Is that doable for a decent instrument, or should I just pony up the $200 for a Yamaha?

Thanks.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Honestly, I would not spend any less than $200 even for a starter guitar. I got an Alvarez for $300 when I first started and it was a great guitar to start out with.

1 person likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I got an F-310 Yamaha starter kit when I began playing.

It was great for what I needed.

However, as a girl you may look into getting a used 7/8ths size guitar.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rowdy20

Rowdy20 Member

My first guitar was an Alvarez as well, got it at a pawn shop for 180, it had to have a little work done to it, but it's still my favorite guitar to play today. In fact, if I could ever bear to put a pickup in it so that I could play my shows with it I'd probably never use anything else! The best advice I can give you, is you can go out there and get the most expensive, most awesome guitar with all the features you want, but it's not going to make a difference when you're just starting because you won't know the difference yet. Don't get a cheapo that's going to just fall apart and never stay in tune, but don't go buy a Taylor either (unless someone is giving it away). Go to a pawn shop or a guitar shop and tell the workers what kind of price range you're looking for (there should be some decent Alvarez, Ibanez, Takamine, Washbourne, etc. in your price range), and just see what feels right. That's really all you want in your first guitar, that one that feels "right" in your hands. Do that, and it'll make all the difference. If you have any other questions just hit me up. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. Rowdy20

Rowdy20 Member

Oh, and stay away from the kits. I've yet to see one that is worth the money, even at only $120.

6. finalsbound

man, y'all are awesome.

thanks for the input.

7. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I bought an Ibanez acoustic a few years back at some music store. It was $100 and change and is one of those "starter" guitars.

I'm not a guitar player....my intent with this was to have one to mess around with and hopefully start practicing seriously.

Might want to look into one of those as I've had exactly zero complaints about it for the cost/quality.

8. Rowdy20

Rowdy20 Member

No problem, my pleasure

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Like this one? Looks pretty solid for a starter. Might want to "update" the strings but I think you'd want to do that with any guitar under $500.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-V200S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514520#new

This is what I bought my son for his first acoustic:
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D100DL-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=513382#new

#9 ArtV, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Basically. Mine is brown/beige with a black pick guard. I never changed out the strings. Like I said, I'm not a guitar player, but I had no complaints with the one I bought. Came with a soft case, picks, extra strings, and a tuner, all for ~$100.

11. finalsbound

I ended up buying this guitar. Pretty excited about it! I wouldn't have known about Musician's Friend if it wasn't for this thread. muchos gracias!

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Put it on ebay, I'll hook you up with Taylor Swift.

14. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good God all we needed was another chick trying to make music.... Don't you know where your place is at woman? In the kitchen. Just like when a woman wants watch... Guess what honey... There's a clock on the stove. You don't need anything else.

Haha I kid I kid. That's a badass guitar. Do you have any skill? I always wanted to play but I tend to break stuff... Kudos for the guitar.

1 person likes this.
  15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Right on finalsbound! I just picked up an acoustic myself. Now I just need alot of lessons :)

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I like you.

17. Special Patrol Group

Jasmine by Takamine. You can get one for around $100 and they're decent starter guitars.

18. finalsbound

got it yesterday...beautiful, and sounds good too. my friend is going to replace the plastic bridge pins to get the best effect. right now i'm just trying to build calluses (the stage i haven't gotten past since i first tried learning guitar 12 years ago :eek: ).

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That is one of the most effective cheap upgrades for a guitar, replacing those little crappy plastic pins with either bone or metal ones. I got some brass ones that are "thread-through", they are awesome.