1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the worst sports radio guy in houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Dec 31, 2010.

?

Who is the worst

1. Dylan

58 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Barry

32 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Josh (The new guy with rich lord)

42 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. rich lord

72 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. matt thomas

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. matt j

7 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. adam

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. john

21 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. lance

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. some one else

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Poloshirtbandit

It seems like most of the callers Pallillo gets are not that bright.

2. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't see how anybody can objectively think Palillo is anywhere NEAR the worst of the bunch. Real talk? He's the one person in our market that could go national and make it work seamlessly.

He's that knowledgeable and that good, in part, because he rationally and logically backs up the vast majority of his opinions.

I may not agree with everything he says but I have to be intellectually honest enough to admit that he's at least *thought it through* in a way where he can articulate his position intelligently...as opposed to just tossing naked assertions or opinions out there just to drum up interest and generate calls.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

FREE SHAUN BIJANI.

4. buffalobills!!!

Bring back Clanton!

5. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Vaguely. Do you remember John Breen and Jerry Trupiano?

6. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

Your wish is granted...at least for tomorrow morning (1/7): I'll be filling in for MJ alongside Adam Wexler on Sportstalk 790 from 6-10a Friday morning. :grin:

7. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Just found this thread, so I wanted to get my sports talk frustrations off my chest. My bottom 5 list is:
    5. Sean P - He can talk on the radio, but I just get tired of the endless gambling talk and lines and how much money he put on which games, etc.
    4. John Lopez - This guy just thinks he's so smart but throws out ridiculous stuff way too often. Plus, he sounds creepy when they bring on female guests (cheerleaders, etc.). He should just stick with writing (which he's only decent at).
    3. Adam Wexler - I think I'm one of the few who can't stand him. I grant that's he's relatively knowledgable, but the way he speaks with undending qualifications drives me nuts. If you wrote down what he said, it would be like the longest run-on in the world. I know it sounds quirky, but I wanna see if anyone else gets irritated by the way he talks. Also, he and Matt just overkill on the sarcasm.
    2. Dylan Gwinn - The few times I've heard him, he's been unbearable, but he's on at an irrelevant time of day, so he doesn't bother me as much as...
    1. Josh - He spends way too much time talking about his lack of a personal life and says stuff just to be inflammatory. He also can't handle it when he's challenged.B Can't believe he's moving up the ladder, but he's definitely the wrong guy to pair with Rich Lord. Oh well, 610 has been losing it for awhile.

On the flip side, Charlie P. is clearly the measuring stick for excellence (although it would nice if he had a partner to fill in some dead time). I love listening to Lance. He can break down football with the best of them, is not bad with basketball, and I tend to like his humor and impressions (particularly Uncle D).

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I know a girl who works for one of 610's vendor companies. She deals with the talent all the time. This is what she had to say about some of them. Pretty interesting behind the scenes info.

9. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

This list is SPOT ON...with the HUGE exception of Vandermeer. One of the friendliest, most down-to-earth guys of all time.

In fact, it's a big reason I had him in my wedding: Long before we co-hosted a morning show together, Marc was one of the first people to reach out to me when I was still in college, and he knew I was interested in going into broadcasting. He is literally one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Your vendor friend must have had a bad experience or caught him on a rare off day.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Adam, don't punch me in the face. You too Matt.

I thought you guys stuck with gingers too long. Waaaaaaaay too long.

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

Gwynn for sure.

I feel sorry for Matt Thomas, since he has to spend an entire segment of his show cleaning up after that joke of a host.

Also, I can't even judge Sean Bijauni since he can't get a word in edgewise over Barry.

12. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

cohosted?? Ware?

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Still one of the greatest combos I had the pleasure of listening to on sports radio. Geez, I remember the days when they had Joel Buchsbaum on. Great times for sports talk.

14. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

No its Jim Rome.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nobody in sports radio has annoyed me to the point of throwing my radio through a window than Barry "the sportsmouth" Warner. That dude is just an aggravating bipedal ego. I listened to him a few months ago (or was it a couple of years ago?) when he was on and you could tell he hadn't been following sports in forever because all his references were back to the 80's and 90's. lol. I remember him doing shows with Mike Edmonds and Anita Martini back in the day on KPRC's sports talk radio. I never really liked any of the 3, but have to give props to Anita and Mike for being legends in Houston sports radio (both died of cancer a while back). Barry? Still seems like a jackass and you know he doesn't care. It's probably why it took him so long to find another sportstalk gig. The sad thing is, there's probably nobody in Houston sports radio that has as much historical knowledge or the "insider info" Barry probably does about Houston sports.

It's a tie between Barry Warner and Ken Silverstein as the worst sports talk show hosts I've ever listened to in Houston. Rich Lord and Dylan Gwinn ain't got nothin' on these two.

16. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

what's more annoying than anything is that all of them spend 90% of their time talking texans even when it's not football season or when texans are no longer playing.

I usually like matt and adam but they talk too much about college sports which I have no interest in, boise state this, nebraska that, etc. I have no interest at all.

You know, I understand that basketball is not #1 in america, but I think it's a big enough sport to warrant a little more discussion, I drive 2 hours back and forth every day to and from work, I can go and not hear one mention of rockets talk. I know, well rockets suck this year and aren't worth talking about, well, the texans are much worse and they still get ton of air time.

I like Charlie the best though, I can actually sit and listen through even if he's not discussing basketball.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think AM610 got desperate when they decided to bring Warner back from the dead. It was either him or a homeless man on the street.

Since you mentioned Warner, I can't decide who's worse between him and Gwinn.

18. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

It's gotta be Rich Lord

[​IMG]

this was the best pic I could find of "GEEEEZ". sorry :p

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Eh, you're probably right. Mark seems like a nice guy on the air and he's actually improved a LOT since first getting his morning show. Seems like he actually does his homework, which is more than you can say about most radio hosts these days. Show prep doesn't equal scanning Chron.com while you're on the air.

Plus, he's a damn good guitar player!

Not sure who you are, rocketabc, but I hope you're not Barry Warner. If you are, please stop reading now. :)

Yeah, I said earlier in the thread that some of the younger members here aren't familiar with Warner's history. The guy has been a HACK for 3 decades and he's never even left Houston. He's so bad he makes me long for the days of Dan Patrick and Ed Fowler!

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I actually like Barry, Is kinda like listening to Lewis Black impersonator.

At least he likes the Rockets.

Who I do hate is joel blank the guy who took Wex's place as Rockets pre and post game.

He makes stupid rhymes for Rockets highlights. They make him sound like an idiot.