1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Putting a dog down

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CJLarson, Jan 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

The time has come...I've always denied it, but I now know it is the best choice. I have a mixed pomeranian...he's 16 years old. I've had him since I was a little kid. I never wanted this day to come, but I know it's the right thing to do. He's always in pain. He cries constantly, I can't even sleep at night. He can barely walk. I can't stand to see him like this.

Any help CF?? I do NOT want to do an "Old Yeller"...I want him to go peacefully...where can we go, and how much does it cost?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that.

You don't have a veterinarian that you take him to? They'll do it.

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Not a pet owner here, but why can't you just let him die a natural death? He'll die when he doesn't want to suffer any more (if it's not a curable disease or something). Why do you have to take matters into your own hands?

4. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

We have a vet. I'm 18, living with my mom and stepdad, and they're low on cash. I want to pay for it, because I'm scared they'll put a bullet in his head. I come home today and my mom says my stepdad almost did it, but just couldn't. Any estimate on price??

5. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

He is in PAIN! He NEVER stops whining, he is SUFFERING.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Seems morbid to even mention that :confused:

Anyway, I feel for you. I think you can have him put down at the SPCA. If they offer that service, I'd ask for Melvin to do it if he's still there...he's a very nice guy and is experienced and gentle when it comes to this stuff.

#6 ClutchCityReturns, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I know, sorry about that, but you know how many smart asses there are out there.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

8. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

If the SPCA can't do it, you should just go to the vet regardless of how much it will cost.

9. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

I think i paid 75 when i had my cat put down.. very painless she laid in my arms and it was damn hard.. she just stared at me .. but one of those things you just gotta do in life.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

where are you gonna bury it? If not around your house then take it to the vet.

11. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

This helps a lot. Thanks...

12. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Not sure on that yet...I'm thinking they might wanna bury it at my aunts house, next to 2 of my stepdad's dogs.

13. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

Well my advice is don't let a Korean do it.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sad to hear. I remember when we had to put my childhood dog to sleep after 16 years.

Call up your vet, and get the price.

15. Fatty FatBastard

It's a dog.

I've had 3 put down. If you aren't prepared by the time they are 13 you are massively r****ded.

It is like watching your 105 year old grandma die, and in your idiocy cry "no! Not now! Please let her live 5 more excrutiating months!"

We feel for you you though, buddy.

16. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Wow...unbelievable how some people can be so rude. You have a good user name I guess.

17. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I've put down one of mine after 15 years. I was going to let nature take its course, but now I wish I had done it two days earlier, because I think she was really suffering on the last day.

I brought her to the vet, who gave her an injection while I petted her. It appeared to be quick and painless. She let out one deep sigh, closed her eyes, and she was gone. Then I had her cremated, cost like $100 total.

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Yeah, with him you just look at the timestamp.

I feel for you. Having my dog put down (had him from age 8-20) was one of the saddest times in my life. You just get accustomed to your best friend always being there.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

yeah, if there's a time there, it means he's probably drunk. :)

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

As is well documented in this forum, I put down both my Ridgebacks last year. Each was done at an emergency clinic. I chose to have them cremated and got their ashes back (still haven't gotten used to seeing boxed ashes for dogs instead of actual dogs...but that's life I guess). Unfortunately, it wasn't cheap going the emergency clinic option but, because of the hours involved, it was my only choice in each case.

I think it came out to about $400 for each dog for all of it which includes an exam fee, the drugs involved, and the cremation services. I'm not sure what my regular vet would have charged.

I'm very sorry about your dog.