1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to boil crawfish?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Dec 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. tested911

tested911 Member

OMG this looks good [​IMG] .. Started looking at the whole orange juice thing and looked what I stumbled upon.. (From Houston Too)

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3555247/Crawfish_and_Blue_Crab_Boil

ingredients for the boil
    10lbs of crawfish
    [color:"Red"]4 lbs of Blue Crabs are Optional[/color]
    Corn on the cob (doesn’t matter if its frozen or sweet because that corn is going to soak up all the flavor in the water anyways)
    Whole mushrooms
    Sausages (whatever you like)
    Baby Red Potatoes
    1 bag of Louisiana crawfish boil (just the bag that’s enough to make 10 lbs)
    Sunny Delight Orange Juice (I know lethal is going to make fun of this, but... the point of oranges is for the citrus aroma. Don’t waste space with whole oranges or use expensive [censored] Tropicana orange juice, unless you want too)
    3 whole garlic or 30 garlic cloves, minced
    3 whole yellow Onions cut in half
    1 Sticks of unsalted butter
    Lemmon grass stalks (optional) cut in 8 inch pieces
    2 tbsp Celery powder
    2 tbsp Onion powder

The Sauce
    1 cup of Louisiana crawfish boil powder
    2 cups of Sugar
    20 cloves of minced fresh garlic (use a food processer)
    2 sticks of unsalted butter
    1/2 cup of lime juice

Instructions:
    Purge the crawfish by submerging the crawfish in water in a bucket or cooler. Stir then around until the water turns muddy, then drain and refill again with water. Repeat this until the water is kind of clear. On the last purge add in salt. This will get the crawfish to spit out additional swamp mud.
    Get a large pot that’s big enough to fit all 10lbs of crawfish, corn, sausages and potatoes. Fill about 1.5 inches of orange juice in the pot. Then fill the pot with water until the liquids reach half full. Heat the pot on high with lid closed until it boils. When it’s boiling, carefully remove the lid because the steam will burn you. Pour in the entire bag of Louisiana crawfish boil, Potatoes, Onions, Lemmon grass, Celery and onion powder, and butter. Do not put in sausages corn and mushrooms yet. Bring the pot back to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes, stir occasionally. Add more cayenne peppers if u are a real man. After 5 minutes, add in the corn, sausage, mushrooms and crawfish, and bring back to a boil. Once its boiling again, let it cook for only 5 minutes with lid closed, then shut off the fire. Let soak for about 25 minutes. While the crawfish is soaking, on the last 5-10 minutes, get a small sauce pan or put and melt 2 sticks of butter on medium heat. Then add all the ingredients in for the sauce and stir until everything is mixed in well. Set the sauce on very low heat. Once the crawfish is done, remove half of the crawfish or as much as you can that will fit in a tossing bowl. Pour in half of the sauce and toss real good. Repeat with the rest of the crawfish and Pour on the table and SERVE. Enjoy

1 person likes this.
  2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

^

Damn that sounds excellent!!!!!

I think the "sauce" is definitely what brings in the extra flavor!

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I use orange rinds instead of orange juice

4. VanityHalfBlack

Where can I buy raw crawfish at??? Is the one at the grocery stores like H.E.B fresh?? Or do I go out to Galveston to those local small fish markets that sell it??

5. tested911

tested911 Member

You have to wait till they are in season..

6. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

Yes, I usually just use the cheap canned ones.

7. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

I wouldn't buy it from HEB, go to local asian markets or seafood market down in southeast. Fiesta is good sometimes too

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree. We have tried it both ways and throwing the crawdads in a cooler after boiling, sprinkling seasoning on and allowing them to steam for 4-5 minutes has proven to us that it is the tastiest way.

9. Lil Pun

BTW, how do you eat those crabs like blues, dungeness, etc.? The only crab I have ever had was legs.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Drive on down to Austin this spring and I'll show you the error of your ways.

[​IMG]

11. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

You are correct, we usually throw extra butter and seasoning in the cooler, give it a couple of shakes and let sit for 5 minutes. Makes a big difference.

12. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

If you season your water correctly you do not need to add anything at the end. Season your water let the crawfish boil for about 5 mins and then shut off the heat. Let the crawfish soak for 10-20 mins and that will make a huge flavor difference.

13. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

why not post it here

14. Lil Pun

As stated, tried it both ways and we prefer the after-seasoning. ;)

[​IMG]

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Y'all are making me hungry... and I haven't eaten lunch. I may go try some cajun/creole food now. I've always been told the best time for crawfish is around Lent/Easter or slightly after (basically the Spring months). I think the ones you get around January/February are small and hard to peel.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

How does the seasoning get under the shell, when you season it after it is out of the water?

Wouldn't the head and crawfish meat be bland, if you boil it in plain water?

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I've heard of people boiling in seasoning and then adding additional seasoning afterwards, though. The only way I can see it being spicy enough is because it gets on your hands as you peel it, so it then gets on your crawfish. I dunno... seems odd.

18. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Thats correct. You will not get seasoning in the shell without seasoning the water. seasoning after is like unseasoned bbq and trying to mask it with sauce.

#38 rocketlaunch, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

edit...

#39 R0ckets03, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  20. ThaRed

ThaRed Member

Drag their trashing bodies into the pot of scalding water and watch as they drown.