1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congresswoman Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jan 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Nero

Nero Member

No sane person does something like this.

His political leanings are irrelevant, regardless of what they are. And I would urge ALL people to refrain from trying to condemn any entire group because of the horrible actions of an insane individual. Respect the victims and their families in this time of tragedy, allow them the dignity of not turning this into some kind of political gotcha. If you can't keep yourself from this, then shame on you.

4 people like this.
  2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

any word on how this guy was subdued? arizona has/had open carry (someone earlier in this thread said they recently passed concealed carry w/out a permit). i'm surprised he was taken alive.

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Ran out of ammo then tried to run, I read.

4. Depressio

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7046bo92a4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7046bo92a4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Creepy. Giffords mentions the dangerous precedence such things as the crosshairs sets.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yep, one of the staffers ran after him and tackled him.

6. cdastros

cdastros Member

The Arizona police said he had ammo left.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If the the bullet went in and out she is probably OK. The brain is pretty amazing in its ability to compensate.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow, then it is even more impressive that the staffer tackled him :eek:.

9. Major

Major Member

I sort of disagree on this. It's not that when a Palin talks about putting crosshairs on people, she's actually suggesting that people go out and shoot them. But the reality is that there are crazies out there - on both sides. When people they listen to say those things, they are going to interpret it differently. And we know that will happen.

To be clear - we have no idea the motivations or political ideology of this guy, so we can't make any judgments now. But if it turns out he's a tea party type, then we know that both Palin and Giffords' Congressional opponent used gun-related rhetoric referencing her. We know she was threatened in the past because of her health care votes. We know her office was attacked based on her health care vote. We know a concealed gun was dropped in an early town hall meeting of hers. Until the last 2 years when the rhetoric ratcheted up, we haven't had a history of violence against Congresspeople in this country.

Given all that, it's not hard to infer that crazies are reading tea party rhetoric as a justification to commit violence. When you say things that you know could stir up the crazy in people, then you are partially responsible when those people commit those actions. That seems like common sense to me.

That doesn't mean that the tea party attacked her or is directly responsible. But it does mean that their actions helped create an environment that stirs up the emotions in crazy people that lead to things like this. There's a reason people have been saying for the last 2 years that this type of rhetoric is dangerous.

2 people like this.
  10. Depressio

Well then! Everything is OK!

Well, except for all the other people that got injured or died.

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whoa, calm down cowboy. I'm sorry I went off and didn't read the thread properly. My apologies, I didn't mean to smear like that.

Also, that negative rep was definitely not from me. I don't use Internet lingo all too much and I would hope my posting history shows I don't blanket "racist" insult.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

In this case, I apologize for the dumbassbarton comment. The rep was actually positive, just the comment was negative...somewhat ;).

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't think her political stance had anything to do with it. She was a Blue Dog dem.

14. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Actually you are both right as per one of the two men who tackled him:

Link:
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/08/several-people-shot-at-arizona-store-police-official-says/?hpt=T1

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Was there no security around at all?

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know it's pointless because da Whopper will not accept any fault from, or place blame on, Republican imagery, but a target is not the same as cross-hairs.

A target is an innocuous image (although a dumb one in this context) that is generally regarded as a term and image that you aim for. You don't have cross hairs when you play darts or archery.

You don't use cross-hairs for much of anything other than aiming down the barrel of a gun.

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

No, it's worse.

[​IMG]

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

:confused: You can still maim people with darts and arrows.

1 person likes this.
  20. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

That is the most pathetic attempt at reasoning ever.