1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chron] McNair expected to keep Kubiak, hire Phillips

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Dec 30, 2010.

1. ThaShark316_28

I keep saying it on msg boards and twitter...

McNair threatened Gary's job. Spared his ass because of the lockout.

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Uncle Bob better be right about this because he has backed himself into a corner. Mario worked out but if this back fires and Kubiak stinks it up again then he will lose whatever supporters he has now.

I hope they are aggressive in FAgency, I would like for them to also be aggressive in the draft. Maybe move a future pick to move up and get a player that could make a difference, if the opportunity presents itself.

Oh and Uncle Bob, no one thought Gary was a "great" coach last year...please stop spinning crap and if everyone would have played their regulars, we probably lose to NE.

3. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Um...which drafts under Rick Smith have been outstanding?!

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bob just wants you to believe.

Believe we're good
    Believe we're close
    Believe we're on the right track
    Believe Gary is a good coach
    Believe that everyone loves Gary and no one wanted(wants) him fired
    Believe Rick is doing fine job as GM
    Believe that other teams dont suffer injuries
    Believe that he is not happy
    Believe that Wade will fix this mess on D(maybe he does?)
    Believe that no other team has lost so many close games
    Believe that we make the playoffs last year if not for those darn other teams resting starters!
    Believe that Gary is a better coach than the year before
    Believe that Gary wont make the same mistakes he's been making
    Believe that they're not gonna put up with this
    Believe that he doesnt speak out both sides of his mouth
    Believe that the offense is the greatest ever!

Just believe! That's all he wants!

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I believe!!!!!!!!!

That all that is some Bull****

1 person likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

better question is which ones have been mediocre. they have been subpar at best

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Come on Bob, you know that isn't true. You're either lying/spinning or are clueless. Plenty of people wanted Kubiak canned last year too, perhaps even a majority. Yes, the cries got louder this year but they were hardly non-existent last year.

As far as Mario, I thought VY and Bush were overrated and supported the pick.

Insert Texans facepalm. When was our last outstanding draft? The one Casserley conducted right before Smith came in? I'm speechless.

Congrats, Bob! You've achieved your goals! Me? I'd want to win, plain and simple. But you? You want to be close and have the opportunity to win. Nice to know where the bar is set.

Jesus, just stop with the excuses. ****'s going to happen every year. Good teams push through it. And stop repeating the lie about how everybody supported Kubiak after last year.

More excuses, and please tell me you're not referring to Trindon Holliday.

I really hope this is true. That might be the first sane thing you've said in the last month.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I had been wondering how someone so seemingly clueless could amass that much wealth and I think I've found an answer. Bob McNair is a Grade A bull**** artist. I guess the people he does business with aren't around him enough to really catch on. We've been following him for 9 years and only now is it becoming apparent to us.

From now on, I'm not going to believe a damned thing that comes out of the guys mouth until he can prove that he's not totally full of ****.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more. I really thought he was an owner that was willing to do anything to win. McNair just hasn't shown the fans that thus far. Disappointing for sure. Hopefully for once the team will make serious plays for much needed help in free agency for the D.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I really can't believe McNair keeps trotting out the fact that we were 9-7 last year. He neglects to mention that we've been 5-7 at Week 13 for 4 years in a row now. He neglects to mention that we were 6-10 this year - same as we were 4 years ago. Boy, what great progress we've made under Gary Kubiak. From 6-10 four years ago to 6-10 this year. He neglects to mention that Kubiak has an overall losing record even if you throw out his 1st year after 2-14.

But none of that matters because we had a "winning" season a year ago.

I won't even mention how hollow that "winning" season was since we beat a Pats team that had nothing to play for on the last game of the season to achieve it, since we were all but eliminated once we were 5-7 at Week 13 yet again.

11. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

The more Bob McNair talks the more he embarrasses the organization demonstrating increasing ineptness.

I want him to lay low and be quiet. Then I can make believe he has us on 'the right track'

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hilarious. "Guys, don't focus on how bad we were this year, focus on how much WE REGRESSED FROM THE PREVIOUS YEAR!"

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There were people calling for Kubiak to be fired last year actually Bob, and you finished 9-7 only because the Patriots mailed it in with their season wrapped up.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm as down on Kubiak and McNair as anyone, but let's not rewrite history. Yes, Hoyer had a couple of possessions, but the Patriots did anything but mail in that game... remember Wes Welker? Frustrating as it is, Belichick plays to win those games... just like he did on Sunday against Miami.

(Not that it changes anything in the slightest, big picture. Trust me, I'm with you. Just wanted to point that out.)

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

The last legit team the Texans beat was the Chiefs in week 6. Beating Rusty Smith and the Jags second string doesn't count.

Christ.

How in the name of Warren Moon's ghost did Kubiak keep his job.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

1. We had a winning season a year ago
    2. We beat the Jags last week
    3. Bum Phillips (a Houston icon!) said we can't do any better than Kubiak
    4. All the other NFL owners told McNair we should keep him
    What else do you want?

Man, Texan fans are so insatiable. We have a first-class organization with a state-of-the-art stadium, a family-friendly game-day atmosphere, players who stay out of trouble, a couple of coaches with strong Houston ties, and all the fans want to talk about is wins and losses.

Some people are just never satisfied.

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Don't forget if being liked by your players wins the Super Bowl, Kubiak won the Super Bowl.

18. Turcan5

Turcan5 Member

Yeah..wins and losses are sooo overrated :rolleyes:

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

and apparently sarcasm meters are underrated.

20. Major

Major Member

Didn't they put Hoyer in on the final possession for a 2 minute drive to tie the game? I think they certainly preferred to lose than go to overtime and play more football.