1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Chuck Hayes Injures Ankle In Practice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Dec 30, 2010.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

chuck has a limited ceiling and has most likely hit it.

his rookie back up has a significantly higher ceiling and hasn't had a chance to play given the solid role chuck plays. this is an opportunity for the team to get stronger

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Actually I am a Hill fan. Admittedly, I wasn't at first because the little film I saw of him in NY he played lethargic and looked like he had a bad attitude. And then when he came here it looked that carried over for a few games. I think I just totally misinterpreted his personality. And as he got more minutes you could his overall personality change.

He has continually impressed me and when others were down on him in S/L I saw things that impressed me going forward. He still is a work in progress and doesn't play close to good enough or consistent enough to beat out Hayes. But he seems to be always improving. Usually I can get a sense of a player and how he will develop in the future. But I truly do not know what this kids ceiling is.

That said I just think Patterson is the more prototypical power forward. He seems to be more built for that spot. His shot is more refined and I think he might even be a better rebounder, shotblocker eventually. I think in the end we will be better when Patterson takes over the backup 4 minutes. Of course I could be wrong but I see Patterson as our future 4 not Hill.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

That is leebigez's argument, not mine.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The level of stupidity in this thread amazes me.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So you gonna start banning people? :)

6. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

No just shake my head and wonder why it amazes me, I should know better. I can't ban, but I doubt I would ban for stupidity.

Wait... maybe I would! ;)

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

don't let love blind

8. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

So now when the Rockets lose we can say "Oh, if Chuck were here we would've won"... because that's what I'm gonna say.

9. xuel

xuel Member

con to Jordan.Hill

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't get the blind hate on Chuck, the guy is one of the best interior defenders in the NBA...check that...one of the best defenders period, a great role player, and people still seem to zero in on his height. Hill may give us a shotblocking presence, but will never be the defender Chuck is. Hell, Chuck guarded perimeter players like Paul Pierce for last second shots, Hill won't do that.

1 person likes this.
  11. QPower

QPower Member

Damn, this is not good news at all! :(

This is worst than Brooks being out.

Man I hope Morey finds a way to replace the Chuckwagon.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hayes is one of the smartest and hardest workers in the league. He gives up 5-6 inches a night. Almost every PF was intimidated by Griffin. Chuck handled him with ease. Sometimes, I feel we take him for granted. I'm proud to be a Chuck Hayes fan.

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I think it's time for DM to go for a bigger chuck Hayes...Varejao.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Um, the Rockets have made it pretty clear that if Hill wants minutes, Hill has to EARN minutes over Hayes. And that is highly reasonable, especially given that Hill has trouble staying on the floor as is given his problems with fouling. Hill could be better then Hayes, but until he improves on defensive rotations and not fouling, he isn't quite there yet.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

And that's why ...

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

you can't expect every sprain to be the same forever...

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Why is this a blessing? Hill is at this point not yet ready to overtake Hayes at say, the starting center. His defensive rotations are bleh and he fouls far too much. And you sure as heck don't just gift minutes to him, especially since one of the biggest questions of Hill from the beginning has been his drive. Combine that with the serious improvements Chuck has made on his offense, and this is a major loss coming in at the worst time possible.

18. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

With Hayes out and the upcoming Jan schedule, we could only hope.

19. QPower

QPower Member

People seriously underrate Hayes.

Maybe we will get by against teams like the Raptors or Kings or even the Thunder who have thin front line, but you will be begging for him to return once we face a team with a legit center like the Magic or Lakers.

Just you watch!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Agreed, but I recall some of the same converstations when Scola took over for him and they went on a 22 game winning streak.

Hayes is a very nice situational player that becomes a security blanket.....

This is the chance for others to step up, clearly they will not be as disciplined, but they may be better in other areas...

DD