1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Hey, is Brad Miller available? Oh, wait...

2. anchel

anchel Member

To be fair, Cousins has much more potential than Javale/Blatche. Cousins can be REALLY good, very special. Aynway, not available.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think there is some romanticization of Yao. He is probably going to go to whoever pays him otherwise why didn't yao decline his option and sign for less?

4. Big Time Titan

I have to agree. If anybody can pull this off it's Daryl. We all saw what he did in the T-Mac deal. Can't wait to see how this is gonna play out.

5. HTownRockets#34

I don't think anyone trading for Yao at this point, when he's a FA next season would actually trade for him based on what he can bring to the court. Rather the main incentive is his large contract that expires - in which nearly half of it is covered by insurance. In this sort of economy, that could turn out to be real valuable for some teams.

While I don't doubt there has been talks between Yao and the Rockets, would we really want him back for a long term contract? Look, I love Yao as much as anyone. He works hard, he's a great teammate, and terrific person individually, but the bottom line is that he's hindered us in the direction we want to go as a franchise. He's been injured since the 05-06 season, and has literally missed the past two seasons due to injury.

The whole argument "We won't have to rely on Yao as much, and just signing him to a smaller contract would prove that," but that doesn't fly IMO. What I'm most afraid of is if we can move on past that mindset? Even if we don't rely on him, I wonder what sort of center we'd get in the off-season/mid-season through trade/FA that would make us forget about "What If?" with Yao? It seems as long as he's on the roster, in some way, shape or form, we'll be connected to him and thus be reliant on him to become true contenders.

Am I the only one on the boat that feels he wouldn't really want Yao back on a multi-term deal unless it was for maybe one year and the minimum? I'd love to sign him to a short deal (after acquiring other assets in trading him), and for him to become healthy, and lead us far, but unfortunately, I don't see that ever happening.

As for the thread question though, I do definitely think Yao and the Rockets have talked before these rumors have leaked.

6. srrono

srrono Member

7. pbthunder

ESPN: Rox discuss Yao deal

1 person likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In line with what Feigan said: Rockets want Cousins, Kings say they don't want to trade Cousins. About what you'd expect, too. Kings are not going to "sell low" on Cousins. It typically takes more than 1/2 a season for a team to give up on a draft pick.

The offer seem ridiculously low-ball, given that the Kings are only saving the $8 mil this year (Dalembert being expiring himself). Probably just a conversation starter. I'd imagine the Kings would at the very least want to dump Garcia and Beno on the Rockets and get AB and other consideration (Hill, Patterson, pick, etc.) in return if they were trading Cousinn.

9. pbthunder

Makes much sense.

Keep in mind, though, there's cap money and real money, and Yao's insurance adds some real money to the equation. I could see Sac wanting us to add Hill and one or two picks. Even that is more than I'd want to pay for Cousins.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You forgot to also include the part at the beginning of Broussard's column where he lists Houston as one of the few teams that Marcus Camby would be willing to go in trade without retiring instead.

I think it would be very interesting if the Rockets were willing to trade Jordan, Chase and the 2012 Knicks pick (along with Yao's contract) for Melo and either Harrington or Andersen (preferably Andersen if forced to make a choice).

Personally (and despite what DD's thread might suggest), I really don't think the Rockets view Hill as a building block of this team and would rather have Patterson get those minutes when he's ready. They also brought Terrence Williams in to play backup SF, and if they bring in Melo, there'd be no place for Chase anyway. I'm starting to get the feeling that Houston would be willing and able to give up the most for Melo WITHOUT an extension in place. And, as I wrote in the blog earlier, barring major changes in free agency rules under the new CBA, the Rockets could at least net something of value in a sign-and-trade arrangement if Melo still decides to bolt for New York or New Jersey before next season.

Worst case scenario, you're left with the same rotation we have now, only with Patterson in place of Hill and with T-Will in place of Bud. There would also be a 2011 mid-first rounder added to the roster (or the 2012 Knicks pick, if the Rockets decide to trade their 2011 pick) and maybe also an early second rounder. Plus, the Rockets would have [whatever they can get via a Melo sign-and-trade] and/or some cap room to sign free agents.

Bottom line: A "Hail Mary" trade offer for an un-extended Melo may just be worth it to a team like the Rockets with too many good young players and some decent picks on the horizon. Now, with Yao's insurance-covered contract now on the table, this type of deal looks like more of a realistic possibility.

11. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That sounds too good to be true

13. gah

gah Member

I don't like Camby at this stage. Too old and overrated.

14. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Come on Sactown.. you know you wanna help us

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Already posted. :confused:

16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Been saying that we should have done this all along. Shame, his trade value would have been higher before the season started.

I appreciate what Yao's done for the Rockets and becoming a conduit for greater international exposure to the NBA, but the Rockets need to do what is best for the Rockets. And holding on to a max-salary, continuously injured player is not good for the Rockets.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Absolutely, 100% misleading title.

The Rockets offered and the Kings SHOT IT DOWN.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I was re-reading all the post again and came accross Larsv8's trade scenerio with the bobcats. I'm wondering what kind of value morey would put on wallace. Now its easy to say he's not a superstar and I agree, but should that get in the way of getting better?

If the rockets could insert wallace and say a guy like diop with a throw in of livingston for yao,lowry,chase,and smith, I wonder would the bobcats bite on that. From a few people I know and trust, Davis might be going to charlotte again. I'm not sure it will be a 3 way, but maybe 2 seperate deals.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Agree about Hill. Patterson is Morey's biological son, Hill is the stepchild he wouldn't mind sending to the orphanage.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Lowry/Brooks
    Martin/Lee
    Melo/Battier/Twill
    Scola/Hayes/PP
    Camby/Miller

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm guessing plenty of contenders would love Camby for a playoff push, he might be hard to get.