1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Dec 18, 2010.

1. rockets4llday

rockets4llday Member

He is the best Pure shooter outside of ray Allen.

2. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Oh, really? So Blake Griffin isn't a superstar? You're probably the only one who thinks he isn't a superstar even as a rookie. And he's got some good players around him too. Team success literally has nothing to do with how good of a player you are. BB is a team game.

3. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

[​IMG]

Lets trade for Zach Randolph then.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Look at Martin's stats, he does not impact the game in any other way besides scoring, and by the same token he isn't a big time go-to scorer who can create offense consistently.

He is not a superstar plain and simple.

5. ashishduh

You know nothing about basketball if you think Zach Randolph is a superstar, or if ANY part of his game is as good as TD's.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Facepalm......

I am not comparing Zach to TD you imbecile, you said "Team success literally has nothing to do with how good of a player you are" and i am using TD as an example of why that that is false, every GM in the league would take the old TD today over Zach Randolph.

7. BradMiller

BradMiller Member

backdown! what do you have against zach randolph?

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Better shooter than Melo.

9. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Thinking about how efficient a scorer KMart is only makes me sad thinking of what might have been with Yao.

10. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

But but but...you said BBall is a team game and it doesn't really matter how skilled an individual is.... :(

11. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

easy there fellow, you're making some strong statements here.

Questions:
    How do you know Kevin Martin will never be a superstar? (and who side are you on?)

Do you consider Westbrook a superstar? Your statement on him was very vague. Please elaborate.

Thanks.

12. ashishduh

Uh no I said a player is not judged on how good his team is.

13. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

IMO the difference between a All-star and a Superstar is mainly "Media" based, with playoff success. Some players are young and hyped up but that don't make them Superstars. There are quite a few All-stars in the league but a lot fewer Superstars.

Kevin is clearly a All-star and I'll take that. He's not a Superstar because he's not hyped by the media,

Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Garrnet, Kobe these are the All-stars. I say off the top of my head that I'd only consider about 15-17 players in the league Superstars.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

it's not about side. it's being realistic and seeing how he plays. even morey agrees with me b/c he always says we need to get a real star in here.

westbrook is a borderline superstar. but he is a level above kevin martin.

what makes a superstar is this: you impact games even when you don't score.

westbrook can impact games with his passing, defense, and pushing the pace even if he can't buy a hoop. and we've seen him do it all without kevin durant this year. and i say borderline is b/c he's been pushing his foot of the gas these past few weeks with durant rising again. and he has only done it to start the year. to be considered a superstar, you have to do what westbrook has done at least for a year and the repeat it.

but we all love to have a kevin martin b/c we are seeing first hand what he is capable of: efficient, great offense. no one can produce offense like he does and the way he does it.

but this team needs an all-around star. you're not going to see the pistons-type team win a championship that frequently. morey knows this, and i hope he's working hard to find us one. and if kevin martin nets us that player, morey will trade him.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lebron took a 20 win team to 60 mins. If you are a true supr star you can take scrubs and make them look ok.

16. Mr. Space City

but team success determines your legacy and status as a great player.

monta ellis is putting up great stats but he is considered an all-star caliber player, not an all-star

17. t_mac1

no blake griffin is not a superstar YET. winning a championship requires a great team. but in the reg. season, a superstar should at least have his team contend for the playoffs.

but don't get me wrong, blake griffin will be a superstar either next year or 2 years. he's too young to understand how to control a game. but he will soon. he's a superstar in the making.

18. Mr. Space City

fixed.

19. t_mac1

exactly. you put lebron or wade or kobe or a true superstar on that warriors team, they'd be a top 5 seed in the west EASILY. but a monta? well, they're fun to watch but not so much.

i think if you put kevin martin on the warriors, they'll be sucking the same way.

i think people don't understand the difference between a star, all-star, or superstar.

star - very good stats (al horford, josh smith, jason richardson)
    all-star - great stats (kevin martin, monta, stephen curry...)
    superstar - great stats that impact games (only 7-8 in this L: lebron, wade, kobe, cp3, deron, dwight, rose)

and obviously there are players who are borderline so they're in between)

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Only Ilgauskas and Lebron were on both the 04 Cavs team and the 09 Cavs team. It took 5 years and almost a complete roster overhaul. It's not really accurate to say that the 2009 Cavs roster sans Lebron were "scrubs", especially since that team was built around him.