1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

good headphones?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TexasFight, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Really? I've actually used bluetooth devices on planes, after they tell you it's ok to use electronics ofcourse.

Anyway, I do have another pair of headphones for specific occasions, but 99% of my headphones use is at the office, gym and in the car. So far these headphones have been doing the trick beautifully.

I'm also impressed with the battery life. I didn't charge it when I got it out of the box, and it lasted 6 hours. I'm going to try it with a full charge today and see how long that lasts.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Would I be wrong to assume that we don't all have identiacally shaped ears on the inside, therefore there can't be a specific set of ear plug headphones that would be comfortable for everyone?

Is it possible to use some putty-like material instead of rubber, which would cancel out noise and fit your ear perfectly?

I must've tried 20-25 earphones and all of them annoyed me.

3. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

wow if uve tried 20-25 earphones and still searching, maybe u can go to one of those shops for a custom fit in-ear mold. get a doctor to recommend a shop that fits ppl with hearing aids.

4. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

These are on sale today on amazon for $59. Seems like a good deal compared to the MSRP!

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are not supposed to do it; whether they enforce it is another question of course.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Just got the Sennheiser 595's for X-Mas. HOLY ****.

7. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

Yeah I used those for a few years. Awesome headphones. Be sure to try them with a headphone amp if you get the chance. :)

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Congratulations. Now spend all your holiday money on an amp.
    [​IMG]

9. Orion025

Orion025 Member

A lot of good advice here so far.

From my experience, my first bit of advice is to head over to the head-fi.org community if you want to pick the brains of some serious headphone enthusiasts.
    Second, stay away from any and all Bose/Beats by Dre headphones.

I'm an IT Consultant and have been back/forth weekly between Houston-NYC the past 3 years. Needed a set to isolate sound on an airplane/subway, to walk around/workout with, and listen to music at my desk. In short, heavy heavy usage with maximum portability.

My phones of choice are Shure SE530s.
    (Shure has now replaced this model w/ SE535s).

Most of the time they are plugged straight out of my iphone via Fiio E1, other times I use an ALO lineout to an RSA Tomahawk amp. Have gone through TripleFi 10, Westone 3, Klipsch X10, and various other cheap Sony/otc brands. IMO it is absolutely worth it to invest in a quality set of audiophile earphones. They have not degraded in quality at all, are extremely comfortable, and as much as I use these, the sound quality alone is worth the cost. I adore the sound signature as it is very similar to my Senn HD650s. The other forums will go in further detail regarding the varying sound signatures between different sets although some ppl (like myself) require firsthand audtions. That being said, preference in sound signature and fit are so subjective that I can only share what I have found to work for me.

Home collection also includes Alessandro MS-Pro, Sony MDR-V6 for mastering tracks, and Koss KSC35. Been out of the game for a while though.
    Good Luck :)

10. ThaShark316_28

Stay away from those Bose QC3 headphones.

They are nice for a while, but eventually, they die out. We're talking a short 2-3 mos at the most.

They die on the inside, too...not a wiring issue with the connector.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That's really lesson 1. And it's not specific to just headphones.

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Related to the thread - when looking at earbuds have you investigated Yuin? You can get the PK3 on Amazon for $39 and they are really solid (the PK1s are better but really need to be better driven - the PK2's are a little better in some areas but overall I like the PK3 for unamped earbuds.

Not related to the thread question (because they are open cans), I just got the AKG K702's and a V-Can headphone amp and am a very happy guy these days.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm very happy with them (haven't had them for long, but I had the predecessor for a long time, and they lasted). There was a lot of construction noise in my hotel...I just put them on and put some (not to loud) music on...heaven. The Dr Dre ones for comparison accentuate the bass more, but do not filter out anywhere near as much other sound.

14. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

I might as well ask in this thread.

I've been thinking about getting myself a pair of Logitech G930's for gaming purposes. I've read positive reviews everywhere but would anyone here recommend it?

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I have the Klipsch S4. I copied the above quote from a reviewer on Amazon because I have the same problem. I can use these earphones, but I have to skip some songs or I have to keep the treble down real low. This is a problem that most people won't have, but unfortunately some people do. Other than this issue, I like these earphones.

I have some large Grado SR80's that I use most of the time, and I have no problem with sibilance.

Edit: dang it, was trying to post in the more current thread. Oh well.

#75 Rip Van Rocket, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011