1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets structuring new deal for Anthony

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tuckie, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nug4,

From what you see this year, how much does Chauncey have left in the tank nowadays?

2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Billups looks pretty beat this season. I think playing over the summer took a toll on him.

3. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Little rougher than last year because of overuse, but Chauncey's one of those guys who will have a gradual decline due to his skills as opposed to an Iverson who just plummet.

I'd love to keep Chauncey here. Great leader, loved by the community, mentor to Lawson. But I'm bracing for the fact that he may not be here much longer.

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Nope, Carmelo has issues with Billups apparently...

5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Pfft, the way the Nets are, and how the Knicks have been dropping games lately and we've been winning, Carmelo and the Nuggets need to wake up and look at the Rockets and our organization.

The Nets are 8-20. The Knicks are 16-12 (They have a losing streak against tough competition, but they still lost to Cleveland too), and we're 13-15 (winning streak).

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's not the organisation, it's those shiny lights

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

they're trading 4 first round picks? they have 5 of them over 2 years, it's an awful lot of picks.

8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Sad but maybe true. But Lebron chose not to go there when it was set in stone he would go to the big stages of Chicago or NY.

So perhaps if he truly wants to win he *might* (keyword) or probably should choose us.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Scola and Brooks to NJ along with Melo could make them pretty competitive with the opportunity to swing Brooks back to the Hornets for Paul when Paul decides he wants out.

10. Sanity2disChaos

I would take Brook Lopez today and twice on sundays.....If we could get him by shippng Scola or Hill, it would be done yesterday......IT IS WRITTEN.

11. Sanity2disChaos

i was just thinking that!!! :eek:

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Scola and Brooks for what? Just Lopez? I'm not sure I like that deal, Lopez is kinda' overrated....maybe Hill+Brooks+C-bud.

13. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Anywhere but the Knicks.

14. Houston_Rockets

You probably have info I don´t possess, but for me, as a fan of basketball, I don´t see him going to the NJN.

Don´t get me wrong, even tho I don´t think Favors will be the franchise player people say he will, I understand why Denver loves NJN trade proposal, but all my doubts come from Melos perspective.

Why would he go to a franchise that has a losing mentality??? Brook Lopez is overrated, his brother is 10 times less skilled then him offensively, but he only grabs 1,5 less rebounds playing 15mins less, then is bro. Just look at his evolution as a player since he has entered the league, do you REALLY believe he will be a star??? (Unfortunately, being a good Center in todays NBA is about being effective, as opposed to having offensive skill, just look at Howard, or all the 7ft Cs that all they know is jump, block shots, and dunk)

The top 3 teams in the East are real contenders, they are the top of the top in the entire league, that is why even going to NY doen´t make sense, because he will never win with Amare a championship, and they have no more space/assets to trade/sign CP3, but getting trade for the NYK makes sense because he is from nearby, plus is wife wants everything NY brings, so to make the family happy you go there, even if the possibilities of winning are few (but bigger then NJN).

Let´s assume that these 2 contending teams that are being mentioned as interested even without a GUARANTEED resigning are Dallas and Houston (have been mentioned in the past), if I am a superstar like Melo, my goal is to win in my prime, and I would have these 2 teams ahead of both NY and NJN 8even if I was born in Brooklyn), because in the west, the possibility of winning is bigger, the top 3 in the west are weaker (and getting old fast) compared to the east (IMO) even tho the overall competition in the conference is higher in the West.

And I still believe that this "EPIC" NJN proposal is being overly talked about, because they want other teams to step the game, maybe I am completely rong, but this is what I take from this Melodrama..

AND YES i BET MY HOUSE ON THAT... :eek: :eek: :grin:

PeAcE

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

lol he ain't signing the extension if he gets traded to the nets

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm sure we're calling, but no one would call us or Portland contenders in print. My money would be on:

Dallas

Chicago or Orlando

I love Scola a lot, but I'd trade him and Brooks for Lopez in a hot minute, and take a bad contract along with him.

If you get a shot at a competent, legit, center still on a rookie contract, you leap at it.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ken Berger: Mavs poised to enter Carmelo chase

Mentions Houston, Orlando as other possible trade partners for 'Melo himself or as a 3rd team in multi-team deal as you'll see below

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No. Not Lopez. Nene. Parts of a three or four way for Nene. NJ isn't moving Lopez.

19. Houston_Rockets

Another aspect that goes against all the rebuilding Denver will do after Carmelo is gone (supposedly).

Let´s say Melo gets traded to Houston, and Denver get´s what they want, Martin AND Scola (I know Houston fans will say it is way too much for Melo, but the goal is just to see Denvers part), Denver would have:

Nene
    Scola
    Harrington
    Martin/Affalo (very similar duo to Martin/Lee, Offense/efficiency and Defense/Efficiency)
    Lawson/Billups

You tell me if you don´t think that this Denver team could do damage in the Playoffs

And then let´s imagine that this "worst case scenario for Houston" is real:

Hayes (center that we will go after with AB and Battier) / Brad
    Hill / Pat Pat
    Melo / Bud (WORST CASE SCENARIO FOR HOUSTON)
    Lee / T.Will
    Lowry / Dish

People say that Darryl Morey traded for Terrence William because we needed a SF, actually, I don´t agree, I think DM acquired him, because if we lose Martin for Melo, and AB plus Battier(expiring) for a Center, we have T.will a guy that can SF SG and PG, and that is very important for a team that will have to move a lot of players if they want to get superstar/allstar talent in return

I am sorry if people think this is a Homer post, I simply try to understand why people say these things, all speculation, there is no fact that tells me, that Denver wants to rebuild, when they only have Lawson plus Affalo that are 25 and 23 and after they signed Al Harrington to a multi year deal, they still can compete if they get players like Scola/Martin, just my 2 cents....

PeAcE

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I can understand the list but I think that is easier said than done. If Melo is moved, Chauncey should be #1 on your list because of the contract size and length. JR and KMart are expiring so the time's almost up for them. Billups has another year and it would be very painful to make those payments with a reloaded team and a declining Chauncey. The problem is how? Not a lot of people are going to take him off your hands for free so your best bet is to package him with Melo if you can. But that causes a massive amount in contracts back ($30 million on those 2 alone). That's where the Rockets can help out IMO (without taking Billups or Melo).

JR you might be able to move but to take nothing back limits your trade partners and the ones that have cap space or a TEs that large are not in the mode of taking on JR's "habits".

And I think you are stuck with KMart. There isn't anyone out there that will give you $17 million back in contracts/players you want. I mean you might get offers like Brand but is that really what you want?

My point is where ever you do send Melo off to, you better package one of your contracts above as part of the deal or you will either be stuck with them or trying to unload those contracts with the treasures you got in the Melo trade.