1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's expiring contract - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 17, 2010.

?

Would you trade Yao and his contract this year?

Poll closed Dec 27, 2010.
  1. Yes - Whatever is better for the team

69.2%
  2. No - Keep him out of loyalty

30.8%
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Karma is a b****. Kicking a guy when he's already down is extremely effed up. However, the reward of unloading Yao is far too great to pass up. I'm split. I chose randomly.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I haven't read the whole thread,so perhaps this question has already been addressed. If Yao fails a physical,then can a team waive a physical requirement ala Mobley?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not in favor of kicking a guy when he is done, but I am in favor of doing whatever is necessary for the Rox to get to be a contender.

And Yao, as much as I like him, is a $17 million dollar expiring contract.

DD

4. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Yes. The team acquiring Yao will just waive the physical.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Will Yao's remaining contract be paid by an insurance company? If so, it would be a golden expiring contract.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Exactly. If Morey does pull the trade off, I will respect him greatly... I'm just not sure if I'll still like him...

7. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I'd just like to point out that we can trade our expirings for THE ENTIRE SACRAMENTO KINGS...

[​IMG]

...and we only add 9 million in salary.

2 people like this.
  8. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

To all the people who voted no, would you want the Rockets to re-sign Yao after the season out of loyalty?

9. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

We traded Hakeem, we should trade yao if the right deals there. I love yao and have alot of respect for him, but we have to make this team better.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Last year we were lucky that NY was desperate to unload Jeffries for the big FA market. Jeffries only had one year left in his contract. Normally, if you trade an expiring, you eat something far worse in exchange of some talents or picks. The question is, if you want to rebuild, do you want to take on bad long term contracts that will tie your hands. And there is that CBA thing looming that makes everybody nervous about taking on something long term.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I know a lot of you would disagree, but what about the Iguodala and Brand deal for Yao and Jeffries?

12. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Depends on the prize.

If the value is likely to be really marginal - no

If get something good - sure

Loyalty and other "PR" reasons have some value, but you have to think of the future first and foremost.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yao for Brand and Sixers unprotected pick?

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

That's freaking hilarious. That's why they have to be the number one contender to take Jeffries, $3 million and a draft pick off our hands on February 24th, to get us under the luxury tax.

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I think everyone would understand if we part ways with him. The Rockets wouldn't be disloyal letting him walk. The only real loyalty here is Yao resigning for the vet minimum.

I'd be happiest if he signed with a contender that doesn't need to place high hopes on him. Anywhere but LA, Dallas, or San Antonio. I'd like to see him with the kids in Oklahoma City.

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Wouldn't trade Yao, we are most likely not doing anything this year anyway and those that would trade for Yao don't have pieces worth picking up.

17. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

the funniest thing about that is that Sacramento gain wins LOL

18. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Watch Yao not miss another game after this season.

I'd keep him. Besides, who would want him?

Sure, you could argue expiring contracts, but we would probably want draft picks / BIG guys, like centers.

With Anthony hinting that he wants to go to NY, and with Chris Paul possibly hinting that as well, the FA market in the offseason gets considerably weaker. Unless the Knicks try to make a push for Yao, I just can't see other teams taking him off our hands, expiring contract or not.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This might be possible if gravity goes away.

20. Happii

Happii Member

Exactly the route the Rockets should take in handling the Yao situation. Also Yao must be resigned to the Veteran's Minimum.