1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

BREAKING: Yao has stress fracture in left ankle (related to previous injury)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Akim523

Akim523 Member

2. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Post of the year.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Treatment: Medial Malleolus Fracture
    Fractures can occur at different levels of the medial malleolus.

Medial malleolar fractures are sometimes isolated but often occur with a fracture of the fibula, posterior malleolus, or an injury to the ankle ligaments, as well.

Nonsurgical Treatment
    If the fracture is not out of place or is a very low fracture with very small pieces, it can be treated without surgery.

A stress X-ray may be done to see if the fracture and ankle are stable.

The fracture may be treated with a short leg cast or a removable brace. Usually, you need to avoid putting weight on your leg for approximately 6 weeks.

You will need to see your physician regularly for repeat X-rays to make sure the fracture does not change in position.

Surgical Treatment
    [​IMG]
    X-ray of medial malleolus fracture/Surgical repair of a medial malleolus fracture

If the fracture is out of place or the ankle is "unstable," surgery may be offered.
    Occasionally, surgery may be considered even if the fracture is not out of place. This is done to decrease the risk of the fracture not healing (nonunion), and to allow you to start moving the ankle earlier.

Sometimes, the fracture can include "impaction," or indenting of the ankle joint. This can require bone grafting to repair it, in order to lower any later risk of developing arthritis.

Different techniques for surgery can be used. Screws, a plate and screws, or different wiring techniques can all be used, depending on the fracture.

1 person likes this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yao is probably my favorite player other than Hakeem. His career has been indeed an interesting ride for us. Our team became a global one and Yao had some stretches as a high caliber player. But what was his advantage was also a burden and it looks like his body has succumbed to the reality of physics. But he tried hard, and played with pride. You heard of great practice habits and you saw a shy sense of humor. He was a solid teammate. Yao carried in a lot of ways the hopes of China at certain points in his career. There was more weight on his frame than just his mass. And it is too much for him and while that is sad, it is now definitely time to move on.

1 person likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Disappointing, but hardly unexpected. Now we might finally get some closure on this tragic chapter in Rockets basketball and we can start the next one.

Now it's time to see what Morey really has as a GM.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Yao has been done for 18 months. This just makes it official.

7. hm70

hm70 Member

Sorry Yao. time for replace...
    Cousin, M.Gasol, K.love...good

8. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I blame his loyalty to play for China. I understand it's his country and all, but the Rockets were paying big bucks for his services. The Rockets were shafted on this deal from the start. Where would we be now if we had drafted Amare??

9. FullMetal Sage

Now can we rebuild/tank?

10. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I don't think Yao's going to give up that easy. He may be done for the next couple years. And done with the Rockets. But I can see him trying to give it his best shot at recovering enough to play as a pro somewhere sometime again, at least until he's 35 or 36, when he can tell himself that he's tried everything and enough is enough. What else is he going to do?

11. Lumix

Lumix Member

Sad though, I wish Yao all the best for his post-NBA life. We all shall reiterate the good memories Yao left to the fans of Houston Rockets, just as tinman put in another video thread.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well atleast we can finally bid adieu to all the Yao only fans and for that I am gratefull.

Maybe now they will fully commit to the Adelman system.

13. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Gortat? Rebuild around a player who doesnt even start? Worst trade in sports history

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I've personally have trashed Yao greatly for his inability to stay healthy. That being said, along with my relief, I also feel a sense of sadness. No matter what I say about him, I still respect his work ethic and determination to win. However, this does seem finally allow us to move forward from an era where each season was a perpetual question mark due to Yao. Ironically, this may also increase our chances of getting a star because:

- They will be the franchise player (at least for a while) with other stars on the team
    - There will be no question of will Yao be healthy as Yao will not burden the Rockets with his huge contract next year, giving us much more flexibility both during the offseason and next year
    - We still have a group of great role players any star can work with

To be honest, an ideal star player for us would be someone along the lines of a swingman who handles the ball. While Williams may one day turn into that (the potential is there), I prefer we bank on proven talent.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think the poster had that in mind. If you have enough talent elsewhere you dont have to build around a center.

16. Souprocket

Souprocket Contributing Member

I blame jvg as well but for different reasons. He tried to make Yao in the mold of Shaq, a low post banger who needed weight to man the lane. If you go back and watch Yao's first game against Shaq he was much thinner and more agile. I believe jvg had a major role in bulking Yao up. I know the height is not nearly the same but think about guys like Garnett or Dirk, they didn't have to gain a bunch of weight to be effective. Neither did Yao.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was against yao being drafted way back when because I thought he'd be too fragile and this would be the result.

After all that has happened - I am glad we drafted him. The man is the most resilient guy i've had the pleasure to cheer for.

18. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

apparently Kelly Dwyer reads ClutchFans

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Yao-Ming-s-career-could-be-over?urn=nba-297005

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He doesn't post much anymore, but he's been a member here for years.

20. Rokman

Rokman Member

Wow! I never thought I could come up with the Worst trade in sports history!! :eek: I'd like to start by thanking my mom and my dad, without y'all none of this would have been possible. I'd also like to thank Yao Ming for inspiring me to make such a horrible trade proposal. . . . . .