1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox] Astros Officially for Sale

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by University Blue, Nov 18, 2010.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Kasten would be one of the few upgrades in ownership that is seemingly out there based on his track record...in baseball particularly. I've always been of the mindset that we better be careful what we wish for (in terms of wanting uncle D to sell), but I think Kasten would be a definite upgrade

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I tend to agree....he's someone with a background in baseball...and given his timetable with the Braves, understands the importance of a farm system and the bigger picture of an organization....so there's no convincing him of that....he already understands it.

3. NJRocket

I assume he would also be the GM?

4. MadMax

Maybe he'd keep Wade as GM and be team president, taking away Tal's spot???

5. NJRocket

who was the GM when he was prez of the Braves?

6. MadMax

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Was just about to say that... they had a TON of homegrown talent throughout his tenure there. He bridged the tail end of Dale Murphy's career to Smoltz, Glavin, Justice, Gant, Andruw and Chipper Jones... the list goes on.

This would be a good thing for the Astros.

8. MadMax

and the 'stros would be a good fit for him too....the emphasis from management of late has been, "let's build up the farm and build from within." it's already part of the ethos of these guys.

sounds like a potentially good marriage. we'll see.

9. NJRocket

interesting....didnt remember that Cox was GM

just trying to figure out whether he would keep a guy like Wade....which it seems he could/would.....and I think Wade could be a whole lot more dangerous (in a good way) with a guy like Kasten and a new ownership behind him

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Kasten is a very smart guy from a baseball perspective. I talked to him a couple of times for stories when I was in DC - he's very open and forthcoming and gets it as it pertains to baseball upper-level management. I think he's as good as you could hope for.