1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

why Kyle Lowry must start over Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So you're accusing people of not understanding the offense even though you admit to being ignorant about Adelman's Blazers' offense?

Your opinion would have more weight if you didn't believe Brooks was at Steve Nash's level 2 years ago.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

All you can do is go around saying people don't understand the offense...yet you never explain it. Anyways, so weird that Morey would sign a guy who doesn't fit Adelman's offense.

As far as your stats...sample size. Brooks has never averaged 6 assists over a season. Look at numbers like assist traio and pure point rating, and Brooks ranks near the bottom of his position.

Even with the small sample size, Brooks is only 38th in assist ratio. Lowry is 8th.

I don't kow that Lowry should start, but I know he's a much better passer than Brooks.

3. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

And I would like to add, do the eye test. Lowry has one or two spectacular passes each game. Brooks' passes are more run of the mill, and perhaps a result of NBA's assist stat padding.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its been explained numerous times, people just don't seem to want to see it.

Here it is explained in detail. Ours has a little variation as we like to use Hayes as the initiator in the high post, Miller as well. The old kings would use Divac and Webber. Again, this is why they wanted Bosh so badly, because he is one of the few people in the league who can shoot and pass in the high post.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9WZoTYdsQE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9WZoTYdsQE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Here is a good example of the motion set and then the switch to the alternate side. Tell me where you see a PG setting up the offense...you don't, because our system doesn't use it. The key is the spacing, which requires wing players to be able to hit the 3 ball effectively. It does not require playmaking...at all.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-0eFXAXbJeY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-0eFXAXbJeY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

What guy did they sign that didn't fit into the offense?

Lowry is a much flashier passer than Brooks. He may be a better pure PG than Brooks, but that doesnt matter. Williams was a better pure PG than Bibby, but it didnt matter.

The point is, which guard fits the offense better. Answer: Brooks.

1 person likes this.
  5. lon_1023

lon_1023 Member

clearly, they both have their own advantages. Coach should choose who gets more minutes based on the opponents.

Brooks:
    pros:
    1) great 3 point shooter
    2) lighting fast on penetration and usually can set us chances to score
    3) good to use at the last minute possession (better than lowry since he has the outside range and speed)

cons:
    1) too small and weak in size. he will get rapped by the strong PG like rose, D.williams, westbrook etc
    2) defense is worse than lowry. this makes the whole team needs to help him on defense and make our defense bad
    3) a just okay passer. (i guess most people should agree lowry and ish are the better passer.)

for lowry:
    it is basically the opposite of brooks. i don't think i need to list that out.
    strong and better defender. a slightly better passer. but a worse shooter.

basically, it just depends on we need a gun or a shield depending on different situtations. I tend to support defense, so i think ab will be very efficient as a 6th man to score. also, even lowry starts, we still have martin, luis to score.
    but i would love to see brooks taking his speed advantage on those old PG like fisher, nash and kidd etc.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Title should be: Why the Rockets need to acquire a PG that can play on both ends.

7. trugoy

trugoy Member

Williams is not a better passer than bibby, bibby has both a better career average in assists as well as a better individual season average in assists.

Bibby was a better PG than Williams and a better player.

Which PG contributes the most to winning: the Answer is Lowry.

8. larsv8

Whatever you say

9. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

This is utterly false, and you Lowry defenders frequently do this when you post your argument for him (falsify stats and skew numbers). Look at these links:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willija02.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bibbymi01.html

As a King, Williams averaged far more assists than Bibby as a King (Bibby peaking at 5.4 apg and Williams peaking at 7.4 apg). Notice another thing with Bibby after he joined the Kings? His apg dropped from 8.1 apg to 5.4 apg. That is a clear indication that the style of offense he ran (the Princeton) does NOT cater to a ball dominating PG. Its arguable whether Bibby was a better passer than Williams (he was a better/more efficient scorer, which is why Adelman probably chose him in the end).

The Rockets offense as it stands is this, I'll lay it out for you:

1) Lowry brings ball up, passes to Chuck/Scola in the high-post.
    2) Back cuts and motion is run, and if nothing opens up this occurs:
    3) Ball passed back to Lowry and a PnR happens.

Why do you want Brooks running the PnR instead of Lowry? He makes the same passes Lowry does AND has a deadly jumpshot. And if need be he can isolate at the end of a broken play and get a decent shot, something Lowry absolutely cannot do. Another reason you want Brooks in the starting lineup? Once double teams come from Scola's post-ups, he can spread the floor tremendously well and knock down open threes (something Lowry again absolutely cannot do consistently). This is so easy to see it baffles me why you Lowry defenders can't see it.

10. trugoy

trugoy Member

See the irony of your own arguments used against you shows how ridiculous it is.

11. larsv8

Thats not it at all. You aren't objective in any shape or form. I give up, because its like arguing with a child.

You refuse to see what is right in front of you. Rewatch the Bulls first quarter. The first 15 offensive are set up through Scola, not Lowry.

They switch to the Lowry pick and roll....when the bench checks in. And that is why Lowry is and will continue to be a bench player.

I don'y know any other way to say it. You are just flat out wrong.

12. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I like how everyone is talking about offense and then just ignoring defense as if it wasn't half the game and the only reason we ever lose games, lol.

Oh and as far as offense goes I'd rather have kMart iso at the end of a broken play than Brooks.

13. trugoy

trugoy Member

you don't even know what you are arguing about anymore, you are just contrarian.

you state opinions like they are facts, bull**** like brooks fit the princeton offense better.

Newsflash, the Nets were running the princeton when they went to the finals, who was their PG?

That score first PG named Jason Kidd.

Hornets were running the princeton in their best season, who was their PG?

Shoot first PG - Chris Paul.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but we need defense. Also brooks looks off yao and cannot get the ball to Yao. The FOCUS of our offense.

I agree with trugoy.

Brooks needs to be traded or used when martin is not in the game. We cannot have 2 defensive liabilities at guard.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

There is no a question in my mind that the coach will start AB because AB was his pick during the draft day. But the question is that what the coach will do if AB is going to lead the team for three or five losses in row after he comes back? AB will start regardless of wining or losing or a switch has to be made. Remember, Lowry is making a start money, and AB will ask much more because he is a starter, can score more points, and a former MIP winner.

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

A correction: starter money.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

please can we stop with all this nonsense. Lowry is a solid player, but he couldn't hit the ocean with his jumper. His defense is also nothing special, although admittedly, far better than Brooks'. Until we have a SF that can shoot lights out, there is no way we can afford to take Brooks' offensive production off the floor. I would like to see Lowry continue to get solid minutes at the point, but we are not getting offensive production from the 3, so I can't see us further handicapping ourselves by starting our poorest shooter at the 1.

18. larsv8

No, I am stating the facts like they are facts. I gave you a history, what Adelman has done in the past and what he is most likely to do in the future. I have given you numerous examples and evidence to support each one.

You have provided NOTHING, other than the same one line over and over again: "Lowry is a better passer and defender, he must start!"

You Lowry lovers have already decided that Lowry is inevitably going to start as if it is a forgone conclusion, despite a plethorea of evidence suggesting otherwise. You are blinded by the excitement of a fast break basket and ignore the entire body of work.

Trugoy you can believe whatever you want. You can believe Lowry is a better PG, that the Bulls have no shot blocking, or whatever else gross misconception you have thrown together. But do us all a favor and stop flooding the GARM with this BS. If it happens, it happens, so be it. If it does, feel free to gloat all you want, but until then spare us. You dont see the reasonable fans bumping these threads when Lowry has a terrible game.

19. lalala902102001

Ideally you'd like to bring a player like AB off the bench to provide the spark on offense. However, Kyle simply is not good enough to be an NBA starting PG at this moment and to start over Aaron. That's why when Brooks comes back he will still be the stater.

An NBA starting PG must be able to shoot at least 40% from the floor which Kyle struggles to do. Unless he can improve his shooting dramatically Lowry will prove to be a bad contract down the road.

20. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Brooks homer still in denial